Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free

The Wasteland Survival Guide has an update from InXile on their plans to launch a Kickstarter campaign to fund development of a sequel to Wasteland, Interplay's classic post-apocalyptic RPG (thanks No Mutants Allowed). They discuss how weapon rewards for supporters will be "entertaining" rather than imbalanced, and how the game will be DRM-free:

Thanks to everyone that contributed in the last rewards post. We got some great feedback and made some adjustments to the rewards. A few of the highlights are :

DRM Free!
    The skill and weapon for supporters will not affect the game balance but will absolutely be entertaining
    Added a Wasteland 2 poster to a 'light' level
    Added a digital concept art book
    Did a solid pass on clarification of reward levels

We are excited to kick this off and will need your help to spread the word!

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 10, 2012, 08:29 NewMaxx

vermin wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 15:05:
Verno wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 13:02:
Oh? I must have missed that one somehow, what happened?

it was more of a making fun of genre and game conventions type stuff than a proper new bard's tale.

Don't forget about Devil Whiskey!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 10, 2012, 03:58 Shadowcat

pledging to backers that it will be DRM free is another feature that will make people want to back it
Not to mention increasing interest in buying it if and when it comes out.

I've no idea whether I'd want this game, but I do know that while DRM is still the rule rather than the exception, any game which advertises itself as DRM-free gets an automatic boost on my radar screen.

21. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 18:32 Techie714

Fargo just brought on legendary concept artist Andree Wallin. This is EXCELLENT news!

http://andreewallin.com/portfolio

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

20. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 16:57 Dev

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 16:55:
This is soon to be a kickstarter project, so it's great for them to let their intentions known to the people they are asking to fund it.
Yeah in general with kickstarters you want to give as much detail as possible, and pledging to backers that it will be DRM free is another feature that will make people want to back it.

If its not too expensive, I'll probably back it.

Incidentally sounds like they are well on their way to doing a kickstarter if they are polishing the reward levels.

19. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 16:55 Beelzebud

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 16:44:
Not to be 'The Asshole' but isn't it better to actually have a game first so then it can be decided if it will or won't have DRM?

This is soon to be a kickstarter project, so it's great for them to let their intentions known to the people they are asking to fund it.

As to the engine, the plan is to be a turn based isometric game, using a modern 3D engine. Think Wasteland or Fallout, but with a modern engine.

18. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 16:44 The Half Elf

Not to be 'The Asshole' but isn't it better to actually have a game first so then it can be decided if it will or won't have DRM?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 15:21 wtf_man

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 13:07:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 09:55:
They need a little more description of their plans... for example... if it's going to be top-down 2d... I would have little interest, unless there was an ios / android version.

It's not going to be a first person shooter, if that's what you're asking.

No... but at least isometric 3D would be appropriate for the desktop, I would think.

16. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 15:05 vermin

it was more of a making fun of genre and game conventions type stuff than a proper new bard's tale. wasteland 2 isn't going to be that type of stupidity, so the comparison isn't really.. it's pointless. but then inxile as a company haven't really proved they could make a good game yet at all. it seems like brian fargo is really eager to show that he still can pull off managing good game projects again though, so I believe in this game. or want to believe.

15. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 14:40 ASeven

Bhruic wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 11:13:
After seeing what happened with The Bard's Tale, I'm not going to be enthusiastic about this until I see some details.

From an old-style RPG it went to an ARPG in the early 2000s and the transition was less than spectacular.

14. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 13:40 Tumbler

Why haven't you taken my money yet!?  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 13:18 Bhruic

It was... Less than good would be the way I'd describe it. Quite a disappointing game. They tried for the humour route, but were less than successful.

12. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 13:11 Cutter

Wicked cool! And my bet is it'll be isometric...it better be!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 13:07 Beelzebud

wtf_man wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 09:55:
They need a little more description of their plans... for example... if it's going to be top-down 2d... I would have little interest, unless there was an ios / android version.

It's not going to be a first person shooter, if that's what you're asking.

10. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 13:02 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 11:13:
After seeing what happened with The Bard's Tale, I'm not going to be enthusiastic about this until I see some details.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

9. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 12:39 ASeven

I played Wasteland on my old C64, good times. I'll be helping this project and hope the game turns out at least as good as the original.  

8. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 11:13 Bhruic

7. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 11:12 Techie714

I'm throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening!!!!! I played the original Wasteland when I was a kid & LOVED it!!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

6. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 10:58 Illumin

Well since its being paid for by the people, and InXile seems to be taking alot of feedback from their supporters. That's a better start to it being a good game then a game being made by some crappy developer that just cares about fleecing the customers pockets of cash.  

5. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 10:51 InBlack

Oh cool it will be DRM Free, but will it be good???  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 10:44 Lord Tea

that's great news! This new Wasteland title has just been pushed up on my list of must-have games.  
UPSA = United Police States of America

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo