Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on "Cancerous" AAA Games Growth

"We think about [this push] as kind of cancerous growth. I think that will leave the AAA blockbusters as nothing more than the last of the dinosaurs," says Assassin's Creed 3 creative director Alex Hutchinson. "In my mind video games need to have the goal of educating people, entertaining people, or at least being artistic. If you're not pushing any of these things…then I think we’re in for a rough patch."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on Mar 10, 2012, 15:12 Zoom

jdreyer wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 15:37:
That's a little true now, but when AC first came out there wasn't really anything like it. It has turned into a franchise, but it started out as something innovative and unique.
Wrong. It was a slightly consolized spin-off from the Thief series. Thief: Dark Project was the innovative one.

Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 22:43:
There is a definite artistic quality to the games in the history - written and architecture. However, let's not get carried away thinking it's high art or anything. In fact, apart from a small minority of history geeks like me I seriously doubt most people really even care all that much about that stuff.
I did, even tough i'm not an history maniac I loved the settings in both AC1 and AC2, with the intricate historical settings, real historic figures here and there, and apart from the sci-fi plot a rather well documented approach. The game itself was a bit bland and repetitive though... Seeing more stuff is what made me go through these games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on Mar 10, 2012, 05:21 atomicfro

The problem is the EXECUTIVE DINOSAURS have no intention in making a great game. All they care about is $PROFIT.  

10. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on Mar 10, 2012, 03:50 Jerykk

Zyrxil wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 17:08:
Name a way in which AC was innovative and unique. And don't say "You're playing a character in a videogame who is playing another character in a videogame."

The AC games have unique settings for action games. That's about it. I really like the settings but the gameplay does nothing for me.

9. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on "Cancerous" AAA Games Growth Mar 9, 2012, 22:43 Cutter

There is a definite artistic quality to the games in the history - written and architecture. However, let's not get carried away thinking it's high art or anything. In fact, apart from a small minority of history geeks like me I seriously doubt most people really even care all that much about that stuff.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on "Cancerous" AAA Games Growth Mar 9, 2012, 20:39 xXBatmanXx

What the EXECUTIVE DINSOSAURS don't understand is that you don't need a 60+ dollar games with 60+ bucks in DLC and a hundreds of million dolar budget to make a great game.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on Mar 9, 2012, 18:43 Wallshadows

Making anything new or innovative usually gets ignored by the masses and quickly sinks in to the bargain bin like Psychonauts. The adventure genre was usually on the ropes for a while even with titles like Escape from Monkey Island and The Longest Journey but now it just seems to instantly guarantee a title will flop regardless of how good it is.

If it doesn't have explosions or sword fights every two seconds, most will simply shrug it off but you give them a shitty CoD knockoff like Homefront and it still sells a million copies so there really is no reason to wander off the beaten path and take chances when you can just make the customers dance like seals while they hold a fish in the air.

6. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on Mar 9, 2012, 17:30 eRe4s3r

It actually taught you something, however slight, of history. If you ignore the SCI-FI plot
It let you travel though an artistic vision on how cities and cultures of old might have looked.

Thats about it

So AC1 was innovative, but AC2 and AC3 were definitely not. They were just sequels, and innovation means making something new and better, not new and same with slight modifications.

5. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on Mar 9, 2012, 17:08 Zyrxil

Name a way in which AC was innovative and unique. And don't say "You're playing a character in a videogame who is playing another character in a videogame."  

4. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on Mar 9, 2012, 15:37 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 14:40:
It seems like the pot calling the kettle black. AC is an AAA game, it's not like Notch or Cliffski is saying this. AC does bring new stuff to the table but not all that much; COD developers can legitimately claim that Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3: The Quest For More Money brought something new too even if it is just new multiplayer perks.

That's a little true now, but when AC first came out there wasn't really anything like it. It has turned into a franchise, but it started out as something innovative and unique. I think that's what Alex is railing against a bit. He'd like to go do something completely new, but feels a bit locked in, as he has to design to the expectations of the fans of previous iterations. I predict this guy will probably go off and start his own studio at some point, or work on new IP for his next game.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on Mar 9, 2012, 14:40 Quboid

WarpCrow wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 13:56:
InBlack wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 09:37:
Er...what??

Either the guys who wrote the article (lol) got his quotes all mixed up or Alex Hutchinson is the master of doublethink or doublespeak.

I think AC qualifies as entertaining and possibly even artistic. Ubisoft might be (justly) maligned for their restrictive DRM, but that doesn't mean they make bad games.

It seems like the pot calling the kettle black. AC is an AAA game, it's not like Notch or Cliffski is saying this. AC does bring new stuff to the table but not all that much; COD developers can legitimately claim that Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3: The Quest For More Money brought something new too even if it is just new multiplayer perks.

- Quboid

2. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on Mar 9, 2012, 13:56 WarpCrow

InBlack wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 09:37:
Er...what??

Either the guys who wrote the article (lol) got his quotes all mixed up or Alex Hutchinson is the master of doublethink or doublespeak.

I think AC qualifies as entertaining and possibly even artistic. Ubisoft might be (justly) maligned for their restrictive DRM, but that doesn't mean they make bad games.

1. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on "Cancerous" AAA Games Growth Mar 9, 2012, 09:37 InBlack

Er...what??

I have a nifty blue line!

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo