Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2012, 13:06 Verno

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 12:32:
The problem is that splits your audience. Peripherals are never adopted by all of your customers. See Kinect, TG16 cd drive, Sega's 32X, etc...

That's not a problem for Microsoft though. They don't really care as long as they can rape you for the peripherals. Devs target the base console and the home theater people can have their BR stuff too, its win win for them.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2012, 12:32 nin

Dades wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 08:48:
I think people are ignoring the obvious here, they can simply have an overpriced USB addon to insert whatever functionality is missing in the console. That's the Microsoft Way these days. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it have no disk drive but a $150 USB dvd/BR drive.

The problem is that splits your audience. Peripherals are never adopted by all of your customers. See Kinect, TG16 cd drive, Sega's 32X, etc...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2012, 08:48 Dades

I think people are ignoring the obvious here, they can simply have an overpriced USB addon to insert whatever functionality is missing in the console. That's the Microsoft Way these days. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it have no disk drive but a $150 USB dvd/BR drive.  

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2012, 07:27 Ozmodan

Can't believe Microsoft would even think about not putting a disk drive in the next xbox. It would effectively kill the console. That basically says if you are not connected to the net it just won't work at all. I can think of tons of situations where people who play consoles are not in a situation where they can connect.

You know Sony's next console will have one which will literally destroy the xbox version without one. I don't really like the ps3, but you give me the choice of a ps4 with a drive and an xbox without, choice will always be a ps4!

I think the guy spoofing the rumor has bats in the belfry!

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 22:40 Cutter

Oh yeah, and while it may be diminishing, most people are stil a long way off from being done with CDs, Bluray, etc. and have considerable libraries of them. So how are they supposed to play them on a discless console? Well, Sony will have a Bluray player in their console so...

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 19:48 LittleMe

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 18:11:
What's a fallacy? It wasn't clear what you were referring to.

Oh yeah I was referring to their stance, not yours.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 19:35 Enahs

It does not make any sense.

So old games will not be compatible? And you can not use your Xbox as a dvd or bluray player? Really? Sounds stupid to me.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 19:30 JeffD

I say no way. Games are getting bigger and bigger, and when you consider PS3 versions can almost double in size because of of the true HD bluray video, they can jump over the 12gb hurdle pretty easy. This is not something that can be easily replaced with net downloads and SD cards which can still run over 20 bucks for a 16gb version.

Kiosk sound like a nice idea but it is very hard to replace the easy to handle disc media.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 19:11 xXBatmanXx

Well that was an easy decision - won't be buying the next xbox.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 18:42 PropheT

entr0py wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 16:59:
Exactly right. In fact Sony has already tried this with the PSP Go, which was a miserable failure.

It's not really the same situation considering 90% of the Go's library was on UMD at the time released, meaning it had tons of games available for it and lacked the hardware to play them. It's a bit of a gross oversimplification to say the Go failed because it didn't have a UMD drive.

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 18:14 eunichron

entr0py wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 16:59:
Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 13:27:
I call bullshit. We all know MS and the publishers would love to do this but society at large - around the world - is nowhere close to ready for this yet. In fact it's a safe bet that the majority of Xbox owners/players neither want or could go this route for many reasons. I'm sure Sony wishes they'd be that dumb however.

Exactly right. In fact Sony has already tried this with the PSP Go, which was a miserable failure.

My guess is that it will be a multi-model launch, like the 360s (a "base" model and a "pro" model), with one of them being driveless and digital download focused. They've all but confirmed officially that they're seeking 100% compatibility with the 360s back catalog, that means a drive is a necessity, whether it's built in or sold as an external accessory.

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 18:11 Agent.X7

LittleMe wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 17:47:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 14:38:
Tehol wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 13:56:
i don't understand why people getting high and mighty about rental or second hand games,it 's not crime to do that or is it? i don't know.

The industry is just mad because they don't get a slice of that pie. You get to sell it once, sorry. Most of us don't like Gamestop because, well, they rip people off. Used games are supposed to save you money. Charging $5 less for a used game than for a new game is ridiculous.

IMO that's a fallacy. The gamer who wants to resell the game would probably not buy it in the first place if he couldn't resell it. It seems to me they are chasing their own tail if they want to get rid of the second hand games market. The consequence of destroying the second hand market will certainly have a negative impact on firsthand sales. I guess they've done research on this perspective but I still think that the second hand market helps in an important way and not everyone will pay full price.

What's a fallacy? It wasn't clear what you were referring to.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 17:47 LittleMe

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 14:38:
i don't understand why people getting high and mighty about rental or second hand games,it 's not crime to do that or is it? i don't know.

The industry is just mad because they don't get a slice of that pie. You get to sell it once, sorry. Most of us don't like Gamestop because, well, they rip people off. Used games are supposed to save you money. Charging $5 less for a used game than for a new game is ridiculous.

IMO that's a fallacy. The gamer who wants to resell the game would probably not buy it in the first place if he couldn't resell it. It seems to me they are chasing their own tail if they want to get rid of the second hand games market. The consequence of destroying the second hand market will certainly have a negative impact on firsthand sales. I guess they've done research on this perspective but I still think that the second hand market helps in an important way and not everyone will pay full price.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 16:59 entr0py

Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 13:27:
I call bullshit. We all know MS and the publishers would love to do this but society at large - around the world - is nowhere close to ready for this yet. In fact it's a safe bet that the majority of Xbox owners/players neither want or could go this route for many reasons. I'm sure Sony wishes they'd be that dumb however.

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 16:41 Agent.X7

DG wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 15:49:
I'm going to call BS at this point though it's not inconceivable that they switch to flash media.

They could just sell an SD card in a box, or make a bigger leap to downloads complemented by kiosks which are basically download stations to a USB3 stick. I would guess starting with the former and a gradual progression towards the latter.

At the cost of the kiosks (hardware, space rental and bandwidth) there's a few dollars saved per unit on the drive itself. And a few more dollars per unit average on warranty costs associated with the mechanical drive.

More significantly, it nets them the retailer's margin (I guess 30%?) and ensures the full library of content is available everywhere. And it could kill the used game market. And, they probably fantasise, could kill piracy.

And, if Sony's stuck with optical media, Sony may be reliant on retailers who are already fragile and will be even more so if a huge swathe of the Xbox market is taken away from them. Strategically, there is some scope for nuking their competitor's distribution channel. Of course that also means nuking the main channel for selling consoles and peripherals, and there's going to be an awful lot of retailers pushing Sony and saying bad things about Xbox.

On the technical side it should have significantly faster read speeds than an optical disk, removes capacity constraint, may allow potential for virtual memory and advanced DRM. Oh, and it's quiet.

The problem with any of that is that you have to give retailers a reason to carry your stuff. Look at the Vita. Because they not only sell hard copy cards with the games, but each game is also available cheaper as a download, they had to make a specific concession to retailers so that retailers would carry it. And that is why you have $100 32 Gig proprietary memory cards. It works with the Vita because the mobile gaming market is much smaller (and I only mean specifically mobile game consoles, obviously phones and such are huge) than the console market.

They'd have to offer some pretty ridiculous incentives to get Gamestop, Best Buy, and others to give up used sales in favor of a kiosk. I'm also not sure that going back to a chip based game cartridge or memory stick would make sense financially. They already bitch about how much games cost vs how much they can charge. Why would they add to the manufacturing cost?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 16:40 Tanto Edge

Discless games. So now when you get your account banned, you're out EVERYTHING.
Not just the ability to connect online with your console, no sir. You lose EVERYTHING.

Sounds like progress to me.

Meanwhile, I just found out that Infamous has a level editor?
Wow, that's cool. I wonder if it's any good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 15:49 DG

I'm going to call BS at this point though it's not inconceivable that they switch to flash media.

They could just sell an SD card in a box, or make a bigger leap to downloads complemented by kiosks which are basically download stations to a USB3 stick. I would guess starting with the former and a gradual progression towards the latter.

At the cost of the kiosks (hardware, space rental and bandwidth) there's a few dollars saved per unit on the drive itself. And a few more dollars per unit average on warranty costs associated with the mechanical drive.

More significantly, it nets them the retailer's margin (I guess 30%?) and ensures the full library of content is available everywhere. And it could kill the used game market. And, they probably fantasise, could kill piracy.

And, if Sony's stuck with optical media, Sony may be reliant on retailers who are already fragile and will be even more so if a huge swathe of the Xbox market is taken away from them. Strategically, there is some scope for nuking their competitor's distribution channel. Of course that also means nuking the main channel for selling consoles and peripherals, and there's going to be an awful lot of retailers pushing Sony and saying bad things about Xbox.

On the technical side it should have significantly faster read speeds than an optical disk, removes capacity constraint, may allow potential for virtual memory and advanced DRM. Oh, and it's quiet.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 15:05 nin

avianflu wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 15:00:
MS is drooling at the potential profits of handling _all_ games credit card transactions.

So are the hackers...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 15:00 avianflu

MS is drooling at the potential profits of handling _all_ games credit card transactions.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 14:38 Agent.X7

i like playing games (but not as much as i used to)and rental or second hand games are good sense to me if gaming is your hobby. have you guys not seen how much a new game (not indy) cost nowadays? and add some more if you have multiple gaming platform.

Not sure if you mean the industry or the Blue's crowd. The industry is just mad because they don't get a slice of that pie. You get to sell it once, sorry. Most of us don't like Gamestop because, well, they rip people off. Used games are supposed to save you money. Charging $5 less for a used game than for a new game is ridiculous.

Speaking as someone opening his own store, it makes more sense to charge less and do a higher volume of business. We won't make 300%+ on used games, but we will hopefully see people buying more because they can get 2 used games for the price of one used Gamestop game. (Also, there isn't a Gamestop closer than 40 minutes away from us, that helps.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo