Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors

Valve denies the recent rumor that they are on the verge of unveiling some sort of Steam console, as Doug Lombardi tells Kotaku that while they are working on "Big Picture Mode UI" and other enhancements, this is "a long way from Valve shipping any sort of hardware," and that while he was not ruling out the possibility Valve would someday produce hardware, he "thinks that's accurate" when asked if we should not expect an announcement at GDC or E3.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 9, 2012, 11:10 kanniballl

Dev wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 05:03:
However, I also expect in my lifetime to have computer chips implantable in the skull so as to get direct brain to electronic information access.

Eh, I used to hope that would come out in my lifetime. Then I read The Diamond Age and oddly enough I hadn't really considered the down-side.

A scene in the book had one of the characters defending why he used HUD goggles instead of the "better" implants. He described a guy he knew that had the neural thing implanted just like a lot of the population.

But someone hacked the implant, so he was always seeing something stupid (I think Cat Food ads) no matter what. Even when he closed his eyes. Eventually it drove him insane and he killed himself.

That made me re-think the whole implanted interface/hud/etc thing. There are just enough jerks out there that think a virus or hack that did that would be funny or cool that I think I'll pass on all of that.

Honestly, something stupid like that would be a bigger fear for me than potential for mind control or potential for lethal attacks.

-

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2012, 11:15.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 9, 2012, 10:14 MattyC

Dev wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 20:37:
So they aren't denying that they are doing it.
They are just denying they are doing it SOON.
Wonder what that means in valve time

An inverse Valve time vortex that will swallow existence itself :/

... Luckily it won't come until a few months after we see it coming though, so hey we have that!

12. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 9, 2012, 05:03 Dev

Rigs wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 23:19:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 21:57:
That's okay, by the time they release this...we'll be using quantum computers and optronic hardware wired in by wetware.
'Wetware'...what a word. I suppose 'Meatbag' would work too, eh? Us being in the Matrix n' all... ;P
If it does go to wetware, I envision it being more of artificial cells doing neural net type stuff rather than humans brains.
However, I also expect in my lifetime to have computer chips implantable in the skull so as to get direct brain to electronic information access.
tomigun wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 04:07:
about time I posted , reader for 10years+
Congrats on your first post!

11. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 9, 2012, 04:07 tomigun

I was genuinly excited about a steam box,
if marketed correctly would open up PC gaming to a much larger audience, I guess it could become an elite type of console .
Fantastic for the Living room with steam TV and as someone mentioned imagine if it came preloaded with 1-2tb of games waiting to be unlocked, that's alot of bandwith about $2000 worth in some countries.
And finally developers optimising for highish end PC Hardware
perfect!!
one can but dream......

about time I posted , reader for 10years+

10. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 9, 2012, 01:35 Mashiki Amiketo

'Wetware'...what a word. I suppose 'Meatbag' would work too, eh? Us being in the Matrix n' all...

=-Rigs-=
Nah. That'd be copper top. Wetware though? I expect to see it if I live that long within 70 years.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 9, 2012, 01:00 Mr. Anisotonic

My thoughts exactly. "a long way from Valve shipping any sort of hardware"? A new valve time event starts now. This is history in the making.  

8. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 9, 2012, 00:33 Cutter

Eff the Matrix! Long live Snow Crash!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 9, 2012, 00:01 The Half Elf

That's okay, by the time they release this...we'll be using quantum computers and optronic hardware wired in by wetware.

'Wetware'...what a word. I suppose 'Meatbag' would work too, eh? Us being in the Matrix n' all...

=-Rigs-=

Was thinking more HK-47 then Matrix when you said meatbag

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 8, 2012, 23:19 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

5. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 8, 2012, 21:57 Mashiki Amiketo

zombiefan wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 21:17:
Who cares? I'll be in a retirement home before they releases Half-Life 3, so....

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 8, 2012, 21:17 zombiefan

Who cares? I'll be in a retirement home before they releases Half-Life 3, so....  

3. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 8, 2012, 20:56 Krovven

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 20:44:
Thing is they aren't shipping hardware, or producing hardware if they just go to say Dell or whatnot and had them build a specific hardware setup and then advertise it as a 'Steam Box' right?

From the link...

UPDATE: Some readers speculated that Lombardi was dancing around the possibility that Valve might be partnering with other hardware makes who would be shipping a possible Steambox. I double-checked with Lombardi. Whether we're talking about Valve making hardware or partnering with others, nothing like that is happening any time soon, he said.

2. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 8, 2012, 20:44 The Half Elf

Thing is they aren't shipping hardware, or producing hardware if they just go to say Dell or whatnot and had them build a specific hardware setup and then advertise it as a 'Steam Box' right?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 8, 2012, 20:37 Dev

So they aren't denying that they are doing it.
They are just denying they are doing it SOON.
Wonder what that means in valve time

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo