Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CD Project RED Dropping All DRM

CD Project RED will not use any DRM in future PC games, reports Joystiq, saying the Polish developer made a statement to that effect today during the Game Developer's Conference. The company most recently took a stand on the topic with The Witcher 2, selling a DRM-free version on GOG.com and removing the DRM from the retail version when it caused problems, prompting a lawsuit from Namco Bandai. "Every subsequent game we will never use any DRM anymore, it's just over-complicating things," said CD Projekt RED CEO Marcin Iwinski. "We release the game. It's cracked in two hours, it was no time for Witcher 2. What really surprised me is that the pirates didn't use the GOG version, which was not protected. They took the SecuROM retail version, cracked it and said 'we cracked it'." After his presentation, Iwinski expanded on his thoughts for Joystiq. "DRM does not protect your game," he told them. "If there are examples that it does, then people maybe should consider it, but then there are complications with legit users."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 19:33 Sepharo

Simon Says wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 08:35:
But but what about supporting organised crime and funding terrorism?!

"

????? You have no idea how these guys work huh? They dont make a SINGLE PENNY doing this. WAKE UP! It's merely a challenge of their ability for them, just like the guitar hero/rock band type games, just like online competitive gaming in general. You're drinking the propaganda like it's breastfeeding milk.

That was clearly sarcasm.
In fact it was so obvious I have to wonder if I'm actually being trolled right now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 19:31 Sepharo

Kosumo wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 16:54:
I read and understood the story, my point being that if they are only worried about their paying customers, and I have no intention of paying them (never played any of their games) they are taking away any road blocks (no matter how small) to people grabbing this for free and then say that they feel justify doing so due to there being no protection in place.

This could be a good thing for them in the way that their product may get seen by a greater number of people. The down side is that people my just see this as "free to play" due to no protection what so ever.

Even with DRM the situation is already "free to play" as you say. I don't see how simply foregoing DRM is like an announcement that stealing the game is ok. The only people that are going to hear this news anyway are people that already know that every game is easily pirated... Turning off the DRM doesn't change anything for them/us except buy good will.

35. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 19:07 Julio

And this is why GOG gets lots of money from me.  

34. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 16:54 Kosumo

InBlack wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 04:48:
Kosumo wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 00:30:
So they have gone F2P?

Hope that works out for them.

"We release the game. It's cracked in two hours, it was no time for Witcher 2."

Still feeling snarky? Next time, read the blurb as well as the headline. You probably wont end up making a complete fool out of yourself.

I'd rather be a complete fool than a half pie one.

I read and understood the story, my point being that if they are only worried about their paying customers, and I have no intention of paying them (never played any of their games) they are taking away any road blocks (no matter how small) to people grabbing this for free and then say that they feel justify doing so due to there being no protection in place.

This could be a good thing for them in the way that their product may get seen by a greater number of people. The down side is that people my just see this as "free to play" due to no protection what so ever.

It's like a pay music event in the open with no fences, no security. Overtime the number of people who did not pay to get in becomes so large that those would did pay start to resent it and in future don't pay.

(I have seen this in real life with an event that lasted 4 years till they where making to big a loss to go on despite more and more people attending).

Just the opinion of a complete fool Dunce

33. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 13:13 Slashman

+1 to Prez.

That's pretty much the situation in a nutshell.

Making a great game does not guarantee great sales for it. Marketing the hell out of a poor game will guarantee at least some level of success, even if that success is short-lived, because you've convinced people that your game is great without them even playing it.

32. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 12:57 Prez

I think that it has been proven several times that a good game does not always sell well; it's certainly not a foregone conclusion at any rate. Bad games with great marketting routinely outsell great games with lesser marketting. Proper marketting ensures better sales than higher qualtity will. The problem with a well-made but poorly marketted game is that the positive buzz and good word-of-mouth on the internet will reach the ears of the pirates first. Ignoring the fact that many of these pirates become customers, these quality but lesser known games (like those of CD Projekt) tend to have high pirate-to-customer ratios for this reason. It's especially frustrating, then, that CD Projekt is one of the few publisher/developers who gets that DRM is not the answer to piracy.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 09:18 Verno

Darks wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 09:12:
Didnít you see the other day, Valve posted up that the company is worth over 3 Billion? Damn straight Valve is making a killing from developers selling their games. This is why EA is doing what they are.

Errr I think you're confusing that. That article was pure speculation about Gabe Newells personal worth and Steam isn't taking advantage of developers or something. They built a massive consumer base from scratch and provide great frameworks for the corresponding offset in cost. Traditional retailers take a much larger piece of the pie. EA is doing what it's doing because they didn't foresee how valuable the PC market was and now want to latch on. Much like companies playing catch up with Apple in the phone market.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

30. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 09:12 Darks

Verno wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 09:00:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 08:34:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 01:36:
So they have gone F2P?

If I remember right, they made more money off their sales on GoG than they did off of steam.

You remember so wrong it's not even funny.

- 200K Steam sales
- 40K GOG sales
- 10K everyone else sales

Source: PC Gamer

Steam takes a large chunk of each sale so sales on their own service are significantly more valuable comparably. I'd be more interested in seeing current figures after the several sales promotions they did (3-4 on GOG vs 1-2 on steam).

Didnít you see the other day, Valve posted up that the company is worth over 3 Billion? Damn straight Valve is making a killing from developers selling their games. This is why EA is doing what they are.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

29. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 09:11 Verno

IIRC Steam requires Steamworks DRM on all titles sold via steam

Steamworks isn't DRM itself, you're probably referring to Steam CEG and I don't recall it being a requirement though many companies choose to use it. As long as they offer a version not tied to Steam itself I think saying it's "DRM free" is reasonable.

28. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 09:07 LurkerLito

Bhruic wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 04:19:
Actually, it's about being first with the game in general. What likely happened is the first version they could get their hands on was the SecuROM version, so rather than wait for the GOG version, they cracked that one and released it.

I am real happy CD Project is doing this, but I agree with Bhruic. The pirates have their hands in the physical distribution channel so when a game goes gold, they get a copy that is being pressed to the disc. Since every retail disc based version had SecuROM, that is what they released since they got it first.

So the question becomes what about retail versions? If they release those DRM free, they might have a problem with their products being released when they either hit the duplicators or the first delivery to a retail store which is at least a couple of days before the release date in some cases.

FYI they will not be completely DRM free as long as they make a steam version of the game. IIRC Steam requires Steamworks DRM on all titles sold via steam.

27. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 09:00 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 08:34:
So they have gone F2P?

If I remember right, they made more money off their sales on GoG than they did off of steam.

- 200K Steam sales
- 40K GOG sales

Steam takes a large chunk of each sale so sales on their own service are significantly more valuable comparably. I'd be more interested in seeing current figures after the several sales promotions they did (3-4 on GOG vs 1-2 on steam).

26. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 08:40 Sarcastic PC Gamer

Finally a company that has woken up and has some sense... They spent all that cash on a system that is proven to not work and hinders legit customers. All these other greedy suits care about is themselves, and its time we customers win the war... The industry is at a pathetic all time low, and heres to its change!

I have no interest in Witcher 2 and I am going to buy a copy right now.... Cheers to Projekt Red, the first in line of the needed change.

25. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 08:35 Simon Says

"7. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 8, 2012, 20:56 Quboid
Flatline wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 20:24:

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 20:21:

What really surprised me is that the pirates didn't use the GOG version, which was not protected. They took the SecuROM retail version, cracked it and said 'we cracked it'."

Wave the red cape in front of the bull and what happens?

Pretty much. For the crackers it isn't about playing the game for free, it's about being the first out with a cracked copy of the game.

But but what about supporting organised crime and funding terrorism?!

"

????? You have no idea how these guys work huh? They dont make a SINGLE PENNY doing this. WAKE UP! It's merely a challenge of their ability for them, just like the guitar hero/rock band type games, just like online competitive gaming in general. You're drinking the propaganda like it's breastfeeding milk.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2012, 08:45.

24. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 08:34 CJ_Parker

So they have gone F2P?

- 200K Steam sales
- 40K GOG sales

23. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 07:33 theyarecomingforyou

... wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 22:10:
Staying on message as always.
My point was perfectly valid. If it is more convenient to purchase a game than pirate it then a lot of people will take that option. I remember that before Steam it was actually more practical to pirate games because of CD checks, serial keys and lengthy installs. Now you can sync game saves online, automatically install mods, you don't have to reinstall games after a format of your boot drive, etc. I have over 500 games on Steam all available within minutes of reinstalling Windows; to do the same for pirated games would literally take days. And with games cheaper than ever and a huge selection that are free-2-play you have to be pretty arrogant and have a lot of free time to pirate games nowadays.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 07:06 TheVocalMinority

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 22:10:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 20:55:
If DRM went away forever, would there be more piracy or less? After no DRM became the norm, would people remember to appreciate devs and purchase copies instead of downloading them?
Purchasing games via-Steam is much more convenient than pirating them.

Staying on message as always.

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

21. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 05:53 jabba

Actually they are a publicly traded company. CD Projekt Red is available on Polish stock market.

20. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 05:51 Muscular Beaver

Well, that supports my longtime suspicion that many, many bugs nowadays are because of implemented DRM.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

19. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 05:10 Dev

So they have gone F2P?

Removing DRM != F2P.

They've had a DRM free version from GoG since the game came out. Guess what? ZOMG, such a shock, people still bought the game.
And like the blurb Blue put up there says (which apparently you didn't bother to read), the pirates used the securom DRM version, and not the DRM free one.

Other games have had no DRM before at release, or removed it later. And they still sold copies.
Many beth games have almost no DRM, and yet they tend to sell in droves. Beth hasn't gone F2P.

18. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 04:48 InBlack

So they have gone F2P?

"We release the game. It's cracked in two hours, it was no time for Witcher 2."

Still feeling snarky? Next time, read the blurb as well as the headline. You probably wont end up making a complete fool out of yourself.

I have a nifty blue line!

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo