Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem

The World of Warcraft Website now offers a postmortem written by Greg 'Ghostcrawler' Street, who discusses the outcome of the Cataclysm expansion for Blizzard's MMORPG. He says they are pleased with how the 1-60 revamp turned out, but frankly answers "everything else" when asked what didn't work out as planned, adding: "Seriously though, we tend to be our own harshest critics, so it’s actually easy for us to point out things that didn’t work out as expected." He takes a constructive turn at the conclusion, outlining the lessons they will apply from this experience to the upcoming release of the Mists of Pandaria add-on.

View
8. Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem Mar 8, 2012, 12:58 SimplyMonk

WoW is less a game I enjoy playing now and more of a research project in MMO design. Given unlimited resources (or near unlimited with the revenue Blizzard rakes in), what can an MMO do you keep its player base entertained and subscription levels constant? WoW is truly unique for being able to access so large of a player base and having the revenue to experiment with what is really just social engineering with the goal of making money.

I re-subscribe about two months out of each year, see what they did new, play a little with the new mechanics and changes and then go back to more rewarding games. Ever since playing Rift though, I can no longer stand MMOs that don't implement AE looting or a looting system like FFXI that doesn't require me to spend 5 mins clicking corpses when I slay 20 at once.

Blizzard relationship with the gold farming/leveling industry also intrigues me. I'm moving closer to the idea that they don't really attempt to eliminate this industry because a large portion of their player base wouldn't play WoW if they couldn't buy gold/items. They'll try to discourage it when it comes to stealing or hacking accounts, but besides that they are just wishing they got a cut of it. Hence the real money auction house in D3.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Mar 8, 09:50 Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem Omni
  3. Mar 8, 10:37  Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem Frijoles
  17. Mar 8, 19:26  Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem DedEye
  2. Mar 8, 10:33 Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem Verno
  6. Mar 8, 11:16  Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem Mr. Tact
  7. Mar 8, 11:52   Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem Mashiki Amiketo
>> 8. Mar 8, 12:58    Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem SimplyMonk
  9. Mar 8, 14:10     Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem Agent.X7
  4. Mar 8, 10:53 Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem Verno
  5. Mar 8, 11:10  Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem Ozmodan