Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
14. Re: etc. Mar 8, 2012, 19:02 Asmo

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 12:20:
Roger comes across as a bit of an attention whore. It was so bad, he played 100 hours of it....poor Roger!

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 14:16:
Well I tend to agree with Roger, but that doesn't stop me from playing games as much as I do. As Dmitri said, gamers don't play games because they're art: they play them because they're entertaining. If you're looking to experience something with the depth and meaning of, say, the Iliad, you're going to read the fucking Iliad, not play Mass Effect.

See, in this regard you're as bad as bloody Ebert... You (and Dimitri) are converting your opinion in to objective fact.

For example, the God of War series, which on the surface is kinda shallow, contains a very interesting take on greek mythology (eg. pandora's box, the war with the titans etc). Forgoing the endless debate on whether games are art objectively, I really subjectively enjoyed a fresh perspective on an age old tale above and beyond the raw gameplay.

You may disagree of course, and your opinion is not wrong any more than mine is right, but that's kind of the point. Art is in the eye of the beholder, and Ebert is petulantly arrogant to believe that just because his opinion on movies carries weight with some people that he can define, or denigrate, a genre of entertainment for all people.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Mar 8, 12:16 Re: etc. Wolfen
  2. Mar 8, 12:20  Re: etc. nin
  3. Mar 8, 12:33   Re: etc. Agent.X7
  4. Mar 8, 12:42    Re: etc. Dmitri_M
  5. Mar 8, 13:11     Re: etc. nin
  6. Mar 8, 14:16      Re: etc. Scottish Martial Arts
>> 14. Mar 8, 19:02       Re: etc. Asmo
  15. Mar 8, 19:16        Re: etc. PHJF
  16. Mar 8, 21:34        Re: etc. Scottish Martial Arts
  7. Mar 8, 14:32 Re: etc. avianflu