Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2012, 02:49 Veterator

Sepharo wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 22:37:
I think it's more about demand* and I guess Metro Detroiter's have been demanding better theaters, I know I do.

As opposed to demanding higher prices, expensive concessions and generally a lousy experience. Or in other words, "Everyone does that."

That's annoying btw.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2012, 22:37 Sepharo

Veterator wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 21:21:
I don't think it's entirely the theaters fault that they get low percentages on the movies they show, but more so the movie industry.

Everyone knows that.

My original contention was a connection between high concession prices and poor theater quality.

As I've shown with my examples (which I'm sure have high concession prices) you can still have a very nice theater with average, sometimes low, ticket prices. I think it's more about demand* and I guess Metro Detroiter's have been demanding better theaters, I know I do.

*obviously it all has a to to do with the "economy"

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2012, 21:21 Veterator

I don't think it's entirely the theaters fault that they get low percentages on the movies they show, but more so the movie industry.

Since the theater is a distribution channel, but you don't actually own anything when you leave. Versus Best Buy being a distribution channel and all they have to do is stock an item among many items and sell it, and that's the entire experience when it comes to a single uncomplicated product.

But, it's certainly having an impact on the theater experience raising ticket prices to make up percentages, it's every 3 months or so around here. You wait a year and it'll be a dollar higher (non-matinee) to see a movie with no positive change in the experience (no new screen, sound, seats, etc...in fact everything is that much older and more worn plus still no crowd control or reliable temperature setting). All in efforts to upfront costs on movie experiences, and failing without other high percentage profit centers.

To me, it's another example of the *IAAs failing to concern themselves with consumer complaints and making it possible for a third party to fulfill them at a reasonable price.

Plus Im not entirely sure, but I think the movie theaters pay the *IAA for the right to even play the movie in the first place and then on top of that pay over those big percentages. They pay a fixed price whether anyone sees it or not if so.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2012, 19:49 Sepharo

Eh, I guess all theaters would put more emphasis on concessions considering that's what brings in the money. I guess I misconstrued your argument as, "more expensive concessions mean less theater quality" instead of simply "primarily focusing on concessions means less theater quality".

Whether there's 25% or 75% profit on concessions you're still going to have the same problem you're describing since tickets don't get them shit.

Also only the newest out of the 7 or so from the chain I'm describing is the restaurant/bowling mix. The rest are pretty normal beyond the excellent image/sound/theater quality and alcohol concessions (not a "bar").

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2012, 20:02.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2012, 08:16 Veterator

Sepharo wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 12:27:
Veterator wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 08:06:
May be their business model, but it puts the emphasis on them providing food instead of providing a good movie going experience...........which is showing more and more.

Huh? I don't know how raising the price of concessions equates with putting more emphasis on providing them.

In Metro Detroit we have a chain called Emagine that is consistently voted and rated the top theater in the state. All screens are DLP, all sound is great, every theater has stadium seating and very nice oversized plush chairs with rocking backs and flip-up arm rests. They serve alcohol and at one of the newer locations they are combined with boutique bowling lanes. All the while ticket prices remain lower than what you would expect (but which apparently is the national average).

I refuse to go anywhere else if an Emagine theater is near. Couldn't tell you about their concessions, because beyond the occasional (strong) long island the bar is going to make for me I don't buy anything but a ticket.

You are taking as place that's part bar, part bowling alley, part restaurant, part movie theater, and a few other things. It's like a one stop entertainment place. People might go for the food, drinks, bowling, or movie. So it's hard to say that their movies are the attraction that brings people.

Now around here we have Showcase, Rave, and one other big one I can't remember the name of plus a bunch of theaters that only show older movies (which are quite horrible). They might have an arcade, but have concession stands stocked and marked up. I'd say half their staff works the concession stand on a typical night. Most theaters are usually too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer around here due to them not sending in people to check the thermostats until the movie is about 3/4th over.

They don't remove people for talking, and I've complained when people are especially bad. They don't check to make sure the movie is working properly most times, I had to complain about that....

They rely on snacks to profit, when the movie is why people go....but they don't make enough money off JUST movies to justify bringing up the quality level by removing problem people and what not.

There isn't a theater around here like your, and I don't blame you for not going anywhere else. But theaters like that are not typical and are not relying on movies to draw people exclusively like others. I don't even bother going to theaters but maybe once a year for something to do with friends I haven't seen in awhile if they want to go. All the theaters around here are aggravating rather than fun.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2012, 12:27 Sepharo

Veterator wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 08:06:
May be their business model, but it puts the emphasis on them providing food instead of providing a good movie going experience...........which is showing more and more.

Huh? I don't know how raising the price of concessions equates with putting more emphasis on providing them.

In Metro Detroit we have a chain called Emagine that is consistently voted and rated the top theater in the state. All screens are DLP, all sound is great, every theater has stadium seating and very nice oversized plush chairs with rocking backs and flip-up arm rests. They serve alcohol and at one of the newer locations they are combined with boutique bowling lanes. All the while ticket prices remain lower than what you would expect (but which apparently is the national average).

I refuse to go anywhere else if an Emagine theater is near. Couldn't tell you about their concessions, because beyond the occasional (strong) long island the bar is going to make for me I don't buy anything but a ticket.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2012, 10:43 Mr. Tact

Truthfully, I've long thought movie theaters days were numbered. Yes, there are films which are better seen "on the big screen", but those are few and far between. I've been surprised how well the industry has done even with Hollywood spending such a large portion of their effort on remaking previously made movies.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2012, 08:06 Veterator

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2012, 16:34 Ruffiana

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091103041916AA7mDtn

Concession sales is how local theaters stay in business. Deal with it.

16. Re: This is rich... Mar 9, 2012, 09:51 Mr. Tact

It's not clear to me if the woman is naive, stupid, inattentive or purposely corrupt...  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2012, 02:16 Umbragen

I've always left the advertising open on this site - but, if you're going to let Republicans like Orin Hatch openly advertise on your site I will block every ad coming off this piece of shit site. FUCK YOU GOP.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2012, 21:59 Veterator

Theater food prices are absurd, so I don't buy stuff at theaters.

But I also don't go to theaters much anymore because people just absolutely ruin the movies for me. Ticket prices are still going up every couple months, and I don't see the point in paying more and still having people ruin it for me.

If they got their shit together and made it so it wasn't the worst possible way to watch a movie, then maybe the inflated prices might be worth something.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2012, 21:57 Lorcin

I loved flying from Dublin to London and having my Guiness Mustard confiscated. At the same time the customs guy unhappily told me I could buy a new (also sealed) jar in the gift shop to my left.

Yes I'm proud to say my name is Irish - but I'm English, flying out of the ROI to my home. That wasn't done in the name of security it was done in the name of raising the airports revenue.

To be fair to the customs guy he really didn't want to confiscate it - but I was pretty drunk, barely holding it together enough to get on a plane and in no way could be bothered to argue.

PS I did buy another jar and used it on a Ham in Coke recipe - wasn't worth it, should have stuck to Dijon.

PPS To the credit of Ireland I actually didn't realize how drunk I was until on the 60 mile drive home I filled up my car with the engine running then forgot the handbrake when I did get home. I did finally sober up 2 days after we got home and since then both my wife and I have banned trips to Vegas, Dublin, Amsterdam etc etc.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2012, 20:46 PHJF

They can charge whatever they want, but the "no outside food or drink" policy is absurd. I understand I shouldn't be bringing in a rotisserie chicken, but refusing to pay for a 500% markup on some candy is punishable why? It's capitalism, you fucking shitheads. No wonder everybody steals your stupid fucking movies.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2012, 20:31 Sepharo

Filmgoer takes stand on costly snacks, sues AMC Livonia theater.

It's my experience that the Metro Detroit area has lower ticket prices on average than the rest of the nation. I personally don't mind if they make up the difference at the concession stand, I've never really been the "Gotta have candy, popcorn, and pop!" kind of person... But I'm also a weirdo.

10. Re: This is rich... Mar 8, 2012, 20:15 MisterBenn

I really liked that animated gif video, particularly the bit about Cinemagraphs, I didn't know they existed! Oh, and it's definitely pronounced "Gif", not "Jif"!!  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

9. This is rich... Mar 8, 2012, 19:56 WarPig

I just read on CNN about a girl who won just over $500,000 after taxes in the Michigan lottery and continued to receive public assistance money. Like many of us would she bought a house and car.

When asked if she thought it was appropriate to receive the money she said, "I kind of do. I have no income, and I have bills to pay. I have two houses."

GO SEAHAWKS!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2012, 14:14 Cutter

I still love the removing shoes and belts built. Oh, that's rich! What happens when someone sews some plastique into the seams of their pants or shirt collar? Welp, guess everyone is going to have walk around the airports and fly naked! Rectal probes for everyone sans lube are now required!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: TSA: 60mm Mortar Round and Other Interesting Finds Mar 8, 2012, 12:35 Agent.X7

Was great day yesterday. Got out the bike and rode around town, waving at all the other bikers who did the same. It's warm today, but it's so dark out that I know the moment I put on my jacket to go, it'll rain.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

6. Re: TSA: 60mm Mortar Round and Other Interesting Finds Mar 8, 2012, 11:14 Mr. Tact

How To Get Anything Through TSA Nude Body Scanners: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=olEoc_1ZkfA  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo