Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Molyneux Quits Lionhead

Prominent designer Peter Molyneux has resigned from Lionhead, the studio he founded in 1997 and sold to Microsoft Game Studios nearly ten years later, reports Kotaku, where they say the Dungeon Keeper, Populous, and Fable creator will continue to work as a creative consultant on the upcoming Kinect Fable game. According to MCV, he will ultimately settle at indie developer 22 Cans, formed earlier this year by former Lionhead CTO Tim Rance. "I remain extremely passionate and proud of the people, products and experiences that we created," Molyneux told Kotaku. "From Black & White to Fable to our pioneering work with Milo and Kate for the Kinect platform. However, I felt the time was right to pursue a new independent venture. I'd like to thank the team at Lionhead, as well as our partners at Microsoft Studios for their support, dedication and incredible work over the years."

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 8, 2012, 15:33 ASeven

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 11:12:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 04:38:
Say what you want about Peter, but he really did try to push the boundaries in gaming by trying new thing.

The only bad thing I can say about him, is that he has so many great idea's in his head, that technology just can't deliver on them.

Bold faced lies != innovation in my books. Sure he tried new things but he also spent an equal amount of time literally making things up. People always credit him for his successes but they don't really excuse his frankly bizarre behavior over the past ten years.

Ever since he left Bullfrog he virtually went insane with bizarre behavior. Maybe, just maybe, going back into an indie environment with a tiny team, like when he produced his best work in the past, will perhaps return some sanity into him. Or maybe not in which case we'll keep on happily ignoring him.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 8, 2012, 11:12 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 04:38:
Say what you want about Peter, but he really did try to push the boundaries in gaming by trying new thing.

The only bad thing I can say about him, is that he has so many great idea's in his head, that technology just can't deliver on them.

Bold faced lies != innovation in my books. Sure he tried new things but he also spent an equal amount of time literally making things up. People always credit him for his successes but they don't really excuse his frankly bizarre behavior over the past ten years.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

46. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 8, 2012, 04:38 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

45. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 22:59 Silicon Avatar

http://www.reprisalthegame.com/

Hey that looks sort of cool. I will check that out.

44. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 21:36 entr0py

Dev wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 20:08:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Milo

That pretty well explains his decision; Microsoft killed his baby. I mean, I'd be upset if Microsoft killed my baby.

43. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 21:30 Tanto Edge

Bye Peter!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

42. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 20:55 Prez

Peter Molyneux is a visionary who, for whatever reason, lost his game a ways back. Frankly, I find it doubtful at this stage that he has the ability or even the desire to regain his mojo. He's settled into a comfort zone, which, while great for Peter Molyneux, is the death of creativity. Probably best to think fondly of his past successes and move on. Surely there's an indie out there to carry his long-forgotten torch.

And ASeven, I think you killed that link with your excitement; I can't view it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 20:08 Dev

D_K_night wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 19:49:
Should just polished that Milo game and released it honestly. Come on it wasn't just a staged tech demo. Peter tell me it was once a real game.

Peter?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Milo

40. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 19:49 D_K_night

Hey what happened to Milo, eh Peter? Wasn't that little boy supposed to be able to "learn" based on an enormous database filled with shared experiences from everyone playing the game?

So even if someone took all their clothes off and flashed Milo from dusk till dawn, might be traumatic but still, that's part of the experience, no?

Should just polished that Milo game and released it honestly. Come on it wasn't just a staged tech demo. Peter tell me it was once a real game.

Peter?

39. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 17:40 Dev

ASeven wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 17:13:
Halo wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 17:06:
Enjoy

I think I'm about to depart with some of my money...

Interesting
This is a game development diary of a RTS game based on Bullfrog's classic Populous.
They have a playable beta demo out

38. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 17:13 ASeven

Halo wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 17:06:
Enjoy

I think I'm about to depart with some of my money...

37. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 17:06 Halo

Kosumo wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 16:31:
Lorcin wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 10:35:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 10:13:
I believe EA owns Populous... so i doubt we'd see a modern rendition, unless EA decides to take the plunge.

They're working on it atm - going to be a new cover based FPS.

But at lest it does not have regenerating health - if you need more health there is a DLC for you!

Enjoy

36. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 16:40 Dev

Alamar wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 16:03:
Anyhow, this is also true in any other form of media... We like certain actors or films because of the hundreds if not thousands of people involved, not just because they have <insert recent popular actor>.
Speak for yourself. I know people who would go see a movie JUST BECAUSE it has a particular actor in it, regardless of if the movie is a total piece of crap (which means they don't care about the contributions of the team surrounding the actor), and regardless of if its fantasy, drama, comedy, sci-fi, etc, as long as that actor is in it.

35. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 16:31 Kosumo

Lorcin wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 10:35:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 10:13:
I believe EA owns Populous... so i doubt we'd see a modern rendition, unless EA decides to take the plunge.

They're working on it atm - going to be a new cover based FPS.

But at lest it does not have regenerating health - if you need more health there is a DLC for you!

34. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 16:03 Alamar

Signatus wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 15:56:
Cutter wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 14:53:
More and more I'm starting to see all these old overhyped developers like Molyneux, Garriot, et al. as people who really weren't all that talented but only surrounded themselves with good talent and took credit for it.

I think (and hope) that the reason why these people started churning out hyped games that turned out to be nothing were the publishers behind them.

I have a lot of respect for both, as I have for Will Wright and Sid Meier. Sadly only Sid seems to still try to please us.

Sadly, I agree with Cutter... ptooey... bad taste.

Anyhow, this is also true in any other form of media... We like certain actors or films because of the hundreds if not thousands of people involved, not just because they have <insert recent popular actor>. Not saying these people aren't talented (or those mentioned), but it's a team effort, but we, as humans, need labels and other forms of simplification, ergo celebrityism ; )

I remember back when this push was just starting in PC Games, and that it was a purely intentional (and fake) process to try and bring PC Games 'up to' where hollywood movies were at, at least for easy recognition, but again, all it really means is that the majority of people who put in a lot of good/quality work don't get 'credit' (or rather, fame).

-Alamar

33. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 15:56 Signatus

Cutter wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 14:53:
More and more I'm starting to see all these old overhyped developers like Molyneux, Garriot, et al. as people who really weren't all that talented but only surrounded themselves with good talent and took credit for it.

I think (and hope) that the reason why these people started churning out hyped games that turned out to be nothing were the publishers behind them.

I have a lot of respect for both, as I have for Will Wright and Sid Meier. Sadly only Sid seems to still try to please us.

32. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 15:53 Alamar

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 11:00:
I actually really liked Black & White, and am sad that there may never be another sequel to this again, although PS3 recently has something called: 'From Dust' which may or may not be similar.

To all who bash Peter and his pioneer works, FU.

eidle eidle eee... eidle eidle eee...

-Alamar

31. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 15:52 Fibrocyte

fujiJuice wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 15:28:
What is the story behind Milo and Kate? I feel like I am missing something.

It was all over the news. Kate was Milo's math teacher and they had a romantic relationship which was, of course, initiated by Kate. If you watch the video you can see there is a major age difference. Kate was found guilty and is now a registered sex offender; she'll be released from prison in late 2013.

30. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 15:28 fujiJuice

What is the story behind Milo and Kate? I feel like I am missing something.  

29. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 15:21 panbient

Dev wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 13:11:
I think there's a slight teeny tiny difference between a "GOD" sim and the sims.

Pretty sure SPORE was supposed to be the ultimate in "GOD" sims, and what did we get after, what, 4 years of hype? ....spore

Back to Molyneux though, please, please, PLEASE get a good team going and announce a new game that mashes the best parts of Syndicate and Dungeon Keeper - make it a Kickstarter and TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo