Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has details on a Guild Summit that discussed the future of the game, while this forum fosters discussion of the Summit and its revelations. This included an unveiling of features planned for "Legacy," the upcoming version 1.2 update for the Star Wars MMORPG. This trailer shows off some of that, and here's a description what this will include: "Game Update 1.2 Legacy will include brand new playable in-game content including the 'Explosive Conflict' Operation, a new Flashpoint 'Lost Island' and Warzone 'Novare Coast.' The next major Game Update will also include a bevy of new features including the next evolution of the Legacy system, Player-vs-Player Warzone ranking, UI Customization, Guild Banks and more." They also announce the launch of a "Friends" trial, a limited time offer to allow active players to invite up to three friends to play the game for seven days.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 8, 2012, 19:05 Fion

Yifes wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 17:14:
People keep on saying that this is like KOTOR with multiplayer. Except it's not. The gameplay, atmosphere, story, and pacing is shit compared to KOTOR.

QFT

I bought the game really because it was supposed to be KOTOR 3-10. What I got instead of an exercise in linearity and quest grinding.

Edit: For those of you who want to wait for a sale. Do realize this is EA. There won't be a sale until the game is years old. Then it will go on sale for 10% off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 8, 2012, 17:14 Yifes

People keep on saying that this is like KOTOR with multiplayer. Except it's not. The gameplay, atmosphere, story, and pacing is shit compared to KOTOR.  

25. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 8, 2012, 09:10 Ant

Only seven days? I will pass and wait for F2P.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

24. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 8, 2012, 03:14 Jivaro

Endo wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 18:57:
I'm still playing and enjoying this game, but I think that's because I approached this game completely differently from how I normally approach MMOs. And that is, from the start I have been considering it basically another KotR type of game, except with multiplayer. So I've been taking it slow and playing through the story line on multiple characters. As a result, my highest level character is only lvl 38 (whereas in Rift by this point I was already doing end-game raids). But then, once I hit 50 with a character and run a few end-game flash points once or twice, I'll be done with that character. I expect to be finished with this game some time in the next 3-6 months.

It's not that it's a bad game, it's just not built to be a long-term MMO.

This, except I hope that new content added to the game extends my stay. Otherwise...probably be leaving in the same amount of time. I really dig the class-based storylines though. I could easily see myself playing each one through to completion. The repetitiveness of endgame content in pretty much any MMO just doesn't do it for me, so adding a bunch of it to this game wouldn't make it any better in my point of view. I mean, running the same instances over and over to beat a big loot pinata at the end just seems rather pointless. I prefer either the story driven content or the PvP content. Deeper PvP would be a great addition, and real space combat mission is really needed as well. The "on rails" space combat is just ridiculously lame. Its better then the Rogue Squadron games on the Gamecube and PC...bu not by much.

23. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 22:30 ColoradoHoudini

I quit playing after reaching 50, and having done PvP pre 50, post 50 and getting into Ilum PvP after it was supposedly looked into.
PvP outright stunk..
the end game content was blah..
I just felt like they made a heck of a single player game, and forgot about the massively multiplayer experience.

I was a hardcore WoW gamer til the end of Wrath after killing the LK..I did raiding and end game in Rift.. I have a great feel for what to do at end game, and TOR did none of that.

22. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 21:53 HorrorScope

Does Bioware have really competent engine programers? They've been riding the NWN engine for their SP games forever now and it wasn't that grand in it's day. All I hear about is their under-performing mmo in terms of raw performance and gfx. Do they struggle with base engine coding? I seem to think so.

EA is too big not to have a successful MMO, however they seem not able to make a monster hit. What is up with the management of that group not being able to pull that feat off? They way I see it, every major game distributor should have their staple MMO.

21. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 21:19 Shok

I see lots of stock in stores still priced at $60. So I won't be buying it anytime soon.  

20. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 18:57 Endo

I'm still playing and enjoying this game, but I think that's because I approached this game completely differently from how I normally approach MMOs. And that is, from the start I have been considering it basically another KotR type of game, except with multiplayer. So I've been taking it slow and playing through the story line on multiple characters. As a result, my highest level character is only lvl 38 (whereas in Rift by this point I was already doing end-game raids). But then, once I hit 50 with a character and run a few end-game flash points once or twice, I'll be done with that character. I expect to be finished with this game some time in the next 3-6 months.

It's not that it's a bad game, it's just not built to be a long-term MMO.

19. Re: Clunky... Mar 7, 2012, 17:04 Lorcin

Think I'm done too - done both the PVE raids upto nightmare (except soa on nightmare). Done all the flashpoints multiple times - and still can't do daily pve quests on Belsavis cause I abandoned the bonus series quest and it's bugged so I can't get it back.

I could stick around for another month - or just unsub for a month or two until there's something new to do (and hopefully another tier of gear).

18. Re: Clunky... Mar 7, 2012, 16:31 Tumbler

I made it a month and a half, but have slowly stopped playing. The game feels really "clunky" to me, the interface, animations, and combat doesn't seem nearly as smooth as other MMO's, and it's evident every minute that I'm playing it. Little things are also frustrating, like the fact that despite having a great PC and running the game on max settings, grass still literally "grows" in the distance as I'm running towards it. Seriously? The fact that the graphics seem 7 years outdated doesn't help either.

This is my experience as well. The Melee characters make the laggy combat really obvious. I played a sniper the first time through, took me a month and a half, and I rarely saw it. When I tried creating a 2nd toon, republic Jedi Knight, the lag became much more noticeable as you're slashing away right there and guys will sometimes die at the correct time and other times it will be totally off.

The gameplay experience also feels unsatisfying as a melee character. The game works in my head when I'm a guy shooting but once you're throwing that light saber around it really breaks the immersion.

I wish there was a way to put the account on hold because I feel like I've been burned on a month of time at this point. (I used a 60 day time card)

I don't regret buying it, the first month is fun, but I think they need to finish the game before I'll pay them. I'd like them to make it possible to play by yourself at the end game just like you did from beginning to end. I have 6 companions in the end, why can I take them all into an operation or at least take 3 of them into a flashpoint and do those by myself?

Maybe grouping tools will help this not be an issue in the future but it's disappointing that I still have no easy way to go play through content in the game that is technically available to me right now.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

17. Clunky... Mar 7, 2012, 16:09 JohnBirshire

I made it a month and a half, but have slowly stopped playing. The game feels really "clunky" to me, the interface, animations, and combat doesn't seem nearly as smooth as other MMO's, and it's evident every minute that I'm playing it. Little things are also frustrating, like the fact that despite having a great PC and running the game on max settings, grass still literally "grows" in the distance as I'm running towards it. Seriously? The fact that the graphics seem 7 years outdated doesn't help either.

There is also waaaayyy too much running, talking, running, talking, running, talking....just the sheer monotony makes it only playable in spurts for me. I can't help but think "100's of millions of dollars and years of hype...and this is it?"

16. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 15:30 WyldKat

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 09:22:
Anyone still playing/enjoying this game?

I left when I hit 50 and found out the horrible state of end-game PVP/PVE, not to mention the gear I had available. I've since gone back to Rift which is where I'll stay until Guild Wars 2. Also been playing a bit of STO and GW1 for the Hall of Monuments stuff.

It just wasn't a good enough game to warrant $15/mo, not with games like GW2 coming out with no monthly sub.

15. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 14:57 Cutter

*smirk*

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 13:47 LgFriess

I'm still enjoying it. I'm in a pretty fun guild that are just now working though hard mode end game content. As usual with these games, a good guild will really give the game an extended life.

I still don't think I'll be playing for more then another 6 months tops though. Not from this being a bad game (I think they did a good job and are working on making it much better... take it over WoW any day), but from MMORPG burnout. Too much of the same 'ole, same 'ole.

The leveling process has already grown stale. Yes each class does have it's own story, and yes they are very well done, but the side quests and locations are all the same for everybody. So you run one original story quest and then 3 of the quests you already ran on your main. Now level another alt? Boring. Same thing happened to me in WoW. Just couldn't stomach logging in to do the same thing over and over. But that's a MMORPG past the first few months. Repetition.

13. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 13:32 The Half Elf

The friends code thing is very common in MMO's, especially a few months after release. WoW did it, SWG did it, EQ did it, City of Heroes had them right in the box at release.

As for the game, I'm burned out on it. It's really just a HUGE single player KOTOR with multiplayer attached.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 13:00 SimplyMonk

VoodooV wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 12:48:
F2P is merely a different business model.

Although that is a true statement, it is most often a last resort for publishers. If they can charge you $15/month to play their game they would prefer that. If their game isn't good enough to justify that expense, they go F2P. At least that is the assumption when a game makes that swap.

11. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 12:48 VoodooV

next evolution of the Legacy system?????

They haven't had a FIRST evolution yet, so I call BS on that.

Of course a brand new MMO still has bugs in it, duh, but yeah, It's still fun and I'm still playing it.

Yeah there are issues, every game has issues. It all just comes down to personal taste/preference. Or in other words, "Haters gotta hate" This notion that a game has failed if it goes to F2P is pretty silly. If the game failed, people wouldn't be playing it. F2P is merely a different business model.

10. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 11:48 Brataccas

Darks wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 09:57:
Not me, I quit 24 days after it was released. They are trying to make the game better, but it might be a little too late for some of this stuff. All these things should have been in the game from the start. No excuse for them not being there.

Same. They launched about 6 months too early and didn't listen carefully enough to what the beta testers were saying back in early October. All the problems with endgame and Illum content flipped a bit in too many players and I doubt they'll be coming back. Even the few diehard friends I know who are still playing comment on how deserted most of the servers feel now.

9. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 11:29 Fibrocyte

Ripperjack wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 10:02:
A friends trial offer, so soon after release? This game WILL go F2P within 6 months, if this keeps up. Then you can play your WoW with glow sticks for free, each month.

I realize you are trying to be witty and I have high hopes that you'll get there eventually.

8. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 11:19 Elessar

Ripperjack wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 10:02:
A friends trial offer, so soon after release? This game WILL go F2P within 6 months, if this keeps up. Then you can play your WoW with glow sticks for free, each month.
You're sadly mistaken if you think swtor is simply WoW with glow sticks. It has it's issues no doubt, but that simplified of a comparison is absurd.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo