Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup

Today marks the North American release of Mass Effect 3, culminating the Commander Shepard trilogy in this series of sci-fi action/RPGs. This page is where to find the previously released playable demo for the game, and Metacritic is beginning to aggregate reviews, showing a 93 metascore for the Windows edition from five critics, a stark contrast from the game's user score, which currently sits at 2.2. You can read reviews of the game on Ars Technica, AtomicGamer, Computer and Video Games, Destructoid, Edge Magazine, Eurogamer, G4tv.com, GameSpot, GameSpy, GameStar (in German), gamesTM, GamingXP, IGN, Joystiq, PC Gamer, and VideoGamer.

View
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

118. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 11, 2012, 18:45 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 10:43:
4000-5000 war rating... yeah, i don't see how you're going to get that without playing multiplayer.

Creston
I don't think it is. I'm nearly done and I've completed every quest, every side quest and everything that's available. Unless there's something fudged up in my ME/2 saves the best I can get is 3800 with the war rating of 50%

To be honest though, the ending suck, and such so bad that there's a serious backlash brewing over it. So take that as you will.

Yep total rating with every quest done and a paragon me1/2 playthrough, 3950. Best so far.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2012, 19:23.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

117. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 9, 2012, 10:59 Bhruic

They claim it's possible. I got 3105, and I didn't fully explore everything, but I probably got about 90%. Not sure if I could have got to even 4000, but some of the decisions I made weren't numerically optimal.

Still, I refuse to play multiplayer just to change the single player ending. Going to poke about the save file, and see if it stores the number somewhere.

Not that, apparently, the 4000/5000 point endings are really that much better. After having "the hero saves the day and rides off into the sunset" endings for the last two, would it have killed them to have that an option here? I know they were going for the dramatic effect, but honestly, you have to consider what your fans want, and I assure you, they didn't want the endings that BioWare made (as evidenced by the posts on their forums).

116. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 9, 2012, 10:43 Creston

4000-5000 war rating... yeah, i don't see how you're going to get that without playing multiplayer.

Creston

115. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 9, 2012, 05:35 Bhruic

I'm guessing at the numbers, to be honest. I'm nowhere near far enough in the game to really be able to say for sure. (to be fair, been playing too much mp )

Meh, I have no interest in multiplayer, so that's out.

When I finished I was presented with 3 options for an "ending", or so it appeared. None of them was particularily impressive from my perspective.

But I did find a site that seems to give a nice breakdown of ending potentials (spoilers of course):
http://www.justpushstart.com/2012/03/mass-effect-3-endings-guide/

114. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 19:48 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 17:38:
And you think EA actually cares about those people over piracy?
Obviously more than ubisoft does.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

113. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 17:38 Dev

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 16:17:
Dev wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 01:21:
One of the comments on that link had an interesting idea. That EAware did this to help prevent piracy, since it almost forces you to play multiplayer.
That's great, but what about those who have no interest in multiplayer?
And you think EA actually cares about those people over piracy?

112. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 16:17 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 01:21:
One of the comments on that link had an interesting idea. That EAware did this to help prevent piracy, since it almost forces you to play multiplayer.
That's great, but what about those who have no interest in multiplayer?

Let me just add that the gameplay is good, the ending fucking sucked, sucked so hard your eyes bleed. Someone needs to punch bioware in the kittens for it.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

111. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 15:15 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 13:01:
I think they'll be able to modify the War Assets rating, but not the Galactic Readiness, as the GR is stored on EA's servers. Even IF you modded that on your PC, it wouldn't overwrite the number on EA's servers, and I imagine it'd just get overwritten back again.

Well that's annoying.

Although I just went into the final with 3000+ points (over 6000 "real" points), so based on the numbers you posted before, I should still be able to get the "good" ending. For whatever that's worth.

I'm guessing at the numbers, to be honest. I'm nowhere near far enough in the game to really be able to say for sure. (to be fair, been playing too much mp )

Creston

110. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 13:01 Bhruic

I think they'll be able to modify the War Assets rating, but not the Galactic Readiness, as the GR is stored on EA's servers. Even IF you modded that on your PC, it wouldn't overwrite the number on EA's servers, and I imagine it'd just get overwritten back again.

Well that's annoying.

Although I just went into the final with 3000+ points (over 6000 "real" points), so based on the numbers you posted before, I should still be able to get the "good" ending. For whatever that's worth.

109. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 12:10 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 11:14:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 11:05:
One thing I WILL say for Origin: It downloads a heckuva lot faster than Steam does. It's sucking ME3 down at a rate of 9.2MB/s here on my blisteringly beautiful work pipe.

Creston

I'm not saying this what is happening for you but Origin has a long running known bug where it misreports bandwidth speeds. They don't bother fixing it because it puts them in a favorable light versus Steam. Amusingly, in many cases Origin has reported download speeds faster than peoples caps allow for.

Just a tidbit

It downloaded 11.8 gigs in just a tad under 22 minutes. So I'm going to say that it was running pretty fast.

Creston

108. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 11:14 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 11:05:
One thing I WILL say for Origin: It downloads a heckuva lot faster than Steam does. It's sucking ME3 down at a rate of 9.2MB/s here on my blisteringly beautiful work pipe.

Creston

I'm not saying this what is happening for you but Origin has a long running known bug where it misreports bandwidth speeds. They don't bother fixing it because it puts them in a favorable light versus Steam. Amusingly, in many cases Origin has reported download speeds faster than peoples caps allow for.

Just a tidbit

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

107. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 11:12 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 00:19:
Flatline wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 22:03:

It sounds like you read right.

How it works

So basically, if you don't want a super depressing grim ending, you either have to play perfectly through THREE games, or you need to grind in multiplayer and probably spend money to get unlocks.

Sigh.

Fuck you Bioware. Fuck you EA. Fuck you both. I'm avoiding you now on principle.

Okay, so here is how it really works:

In the SP games, you obtain War Assets, that all contribute to the war effort. For whatever fucked up EA reason, Bioware decided it would be a great idea to have those War Assets count only according to the percentage that you have in your Galactic Readiness rating. So if you and I both had 3000 points in War Assets, and you had a GR of 50%, you'd have 1500 points of actual War Assets, whereas if I had 60%, I'd have 1800 points.

You need an x amount of War Assets to get the "best" ending (I think it's somewhere around 2000-2500.) The SP game does apparently have enough War Assets to meet that 2000-2500 number, even with only a 50% Galactic Readiness, but yeah, you do have to do EVERYTHING in order to get there.

That said, even the BEST ending is still pretty goddamn grim. (which is why folks are up in arms at Bioware. Nobody wants to play a series for five years only to watch everything and everyone die at the end, no matter WHAT you fucking do.)

However, you do NOT need to "spend money to get unlocks" in MP. You can earn unlocks simply through playing, but your Galactic Readiness goes up just by playing, period, whether you ever unlock anything or not.

Also, the whole booster deck idea of the packs you 'buy' would turn me away from the whole idea of paying for it. I could see paying 5 bucks to unlock the Krogan if you really want to play as one, but why would you do so if you don't even know if that's what you'll get?

Some Bioware dev was actually defending that decision on their forum, saying "the large majority" of their fans "love the random unlocks because it makes you try different characters."

Yeah, okay, EA peon. Make sure to scrape up a few more dollars for your Reaper EA Overlords. Rolleyes

You gotta admit, it's quite impressive how far Bioware has fallen in such a short time.

Anyway, that's the deal with the endings. Apparently the MAJOR decision that affects the endings is whether you saved the Collector's base or blew it up. Then it goes by War Assets total, apparently.

That said, the mp is actually a lot of fun

Creston

Eh I'm ok with it, I expected a somewhat grim close to the trilogy what with the reapers being so superior tech wise to all the council races.

What bothers me so far about the story, and I'm really only a couple hours in, is it appears to play out exactly like I expected.
*Possible Spoilers*

Do a mission for the Turians right away in the plot, they want you to involve the krogans, which I'm sure is going to work out to do a mission for the Krogans to bring them on board, the Krogans and Turians assist in the fight. So god damn predictable. It's like ME2 except rather than baby sit individual companions, you're now babysitting entire races just to get them to work together vs undoubtably getting wiped out by the reapers ANYWAY if they don't work with you. So cheesy.

106. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 11:05 Creston

Creston

105. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 10:46 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 05:01:
Meh, there'll be a savegame editor out soon that'll allow you to modify the readiness rating.

Btw, the whole "buy packs with money!" starts to make a whole lot more sense now that it turns out that there's a "bug" (EA: 'OOps!' ) that RELOCKS your unlocks.

Oh, did you spend a few thousand 'points' on unlocking stuff? Hahahaha, sorry! Those are now lost. Please spend them again! God, I fucking hate EA.

Creston

104. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 05:01 Bhruic

Meh, there'll be a savegame editor out soon that'll allow you to modify the readiness rating.  

103. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 01:21 Dev

102. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 8, 2012, 00:19 Creston

Flatline wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 22:03:

How it works

So basically, if you don't want a super depressing grim ending, you either have to play perfectly through THREE games, or you need to grind in multiplayer and probably spend money to get unlocks.

Sigh.

Fuck you Bioware. Fuck you EA. Fuck you both. I'm avoiding you now on principle.

Okay, so here is how it really works:

In the SP games, you obtain War Assets, that all contribute to the war effort. For whatever fucked up EA reason, Bioware decided it would be a great idea to have those War Assets count only according to the percentage that you have in your Galactic Readiness rating. So if you and I both had 3000 points in War Assets, and you had a GR of 50%, you'd have 1500 points of actual War Assets, whereas if I had 60%, I'd have 1800 points.

You need an x amount of War Assets to get the "best" ending (I think it's somewhere around 2000-2500.) The SP game does apparently have enough War Assets to meet that 2000-2500 number, even with only a 50% Galactic Readiness, but yeah, you do have to do EVERYTHING in order to get there.

That said, even the BEST ending is still pretty goddamn grim. (which is why folks are up in arms at Bioware. Nobody wants to play a series for five years only to watch everything and everyone die at the end, no matter WHAT you fucking do.)

However, you do NOT need to "spend money to get unlocks" in MP. You can earn unlocks simply through playing, but your Galactic Readiness goes up just by playing, period, whether you ever unlock anything or not.

Also, the whole booster deck idea of the packs you 'buy' would turn me away from the whole idea of paying for it. I could see paying 5 bucks to unlock the Krogan if you really want to play as one, but why would you do so if you don't even know if that's what you'll get?

Some Bioware dev was actually defending that decision on their forum, saying "the large majority" of their fans "love the random unlocks because it makes you try different characters."

Yeah, okay, EA peon. Make sure to scrape up a few more dollars for your Reaper EA Overlords. Rolleyes

You gotta admit, it's quite impressive how far Bioware has fallen in such a short time.

Anyway, that's the deal with the endings. Apparently the MAJOR decision that affects the endings is whether you saved the Collector's base or blew it up. Then it goes by War Assets total, apparently.

That said, the mp is actually a lot of fun

Creston

101. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 7, 2012, 22:29 nin

How it works

Wow. So glad I didn't buy that. Pretty shitty. Bio continues it's tumble.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

100. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 7, 2012, 22:03 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 13:27:
Flatline wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:57:
*Sigh*

Fuck EA. Fuck them for ruining the last RPG experience I was actually anticipating. Especially since I started the ME games on xbox and don't want to throw away around 200 hours of gaming jumping over to the PC version.

I guess I'll be waiting for the bargain bin on this one. Thank you EA.

Please note that that's just what I've READ. I have no way of knowing whether it's actually true, or what those people consider to be 'grinding'. Some people feel that having to do 3 courier missions for prothean artifacts is grinding. Others happily spend 40 hours scanning planets until every single one is sucked dry and say they were having a great time...

Creston

How it works

Sigh.

99. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 7, 2012, 21:00 Creston

Thanks

And yes, I am very much enjoying it. And, strangely enough, I also have to say that the multiplayer is VERY fun. I figured I'd see if it would even run on my crappy internet connection, and not only did it run very smoothly for me (though I have no idea how well it ran for everyone else when I was the leader), but I was absolutely SHOWERED in XP.

In 3 matches I leveled up from 1 to 6, got 5% on my galaxy at war rating, got 8 or 9000 credits or so, and (most importantly) had a really great time. It's well worth checking out, and it's really simple to get started. Make an Adept, and just chuck singularities. Pretty much every match I got a +1000 xp bonus for 25 assists.

Creston

118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo