Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup

Today marks the North American release of Mass Effect 3, culminating the Commander Shepard trilogy in this series of sci-fi action/RPGs. This page is where to find the previously released playable demo for the game, and Metacritic is beginning to aggregate reviews, showing a 93 metascore for the Windows edition from five critics, a stark contrast from the game's user score, which currently sits at 2.2. You can read reviews of the game on Ars Technica, AtomicGamer, Computer and Video Games, Destructoid, Edge Magazine, Eurogamer, G4tv.com, GameSpot, GameSpy, GameStar (in German), gamesTM, GamingXP, IGN, Joystiq, PC Gamer, and VideoGamer.

View
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

58. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 15:59 Tumbler

At the end of ME2 you're like "The Reapers are still coming, we only slowed them down yet again, and we still have no clue how to stop them.

I took the ending that kept the Collectors base intact so I'm really confused how I went from doing that to being a insubordinate officer that should be in prison and Earth has no defenses still? Maybe that base went 100% to Cereberus and they didn't share anything with the earth government? ...why wouldn't I continue to work with Cereberus if they're the ones holding the tech that can make a difference?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 15:43 SXO

Brataccas wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 13:32:
Meh, I'll wait for the bargain sales if I play it at all. The ending to ME2 was so awful that I just can't bring myself to get excited over this one.

This is exactly how I feel. Mass Effect 2 was not a proper second installment to an over-arching storyline. No progress was made in the main story arc. At the end of ME1 you're like "The Reapers are coming, we only slowed them down, now we have to find a way to stop them." At the end of ME2 you're like "The Reapers are still coming, we only slowed them down yet again, and we still have no clue how to stop them."

Couple this with the numerous plot holes that suddenly appeared in ME2, coupled with a cheesetastic last boss, it removed any and all anticipation I had to see how the story ends. On the contrary, it made me afraid of where the story would go next, and I started questioning whether it would be better to remember ME just the way it was without its sequels.

56. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 15:41 Tumbler

Hmm wonder where my copy is...

*checking*

Concord CA
Out for delivery - March 6, 2012 6:15:00 AM

Cough, Cough, probably should head home early...been a long day. (and then it wouldn't show up till 7pm!)

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

55. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 14:37 everyone

You missed one, Blue.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/06/mass-effect-3-review-pc/

born2expire wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:10:
or how about, its more bioware playable movie crap. Of course reviewers pander to the fanboys, if they didn't their site gets hammered by virtual "hate".
Hey, c'mon now. That's a bit strong. I'd hardly call them "playable".

54. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 14:32 briktal

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 13:58:
avianflu wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 13:47:
Did they even finish the game before reviewing?
Usually they don't have to. All that is required is to erect a favorable number in between 9 and 10 as a review score, so that cheque from EA is justified.

Probably the only reason video games get any more scores in the 90s compared to movies or music is because they are rated on different scales. Four stars with half stars has the top two ranks as 100% and 87.5%, Five stars with half stars is 100% and 90% and without half stars it's 100% and 80%. Video game reviews tend to use 10, 10 with halves or 10 with tenths. The second issue with video game review scores is that AAA games rarely get below 60-70.

53. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 14:29 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 13:58:
Usually they don't have to. All that is required is to erect a favorable number in between 9 and 10 as a review score, so that cheque from EA is justified.

It's not even for a check though. It's for getting the game for free, a month in advance. Or being invited to press conferences. Or just being part of the industry.

If *only* they were principled enough to require *actual* money for good reviews...

52. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 14:04 Yaogun

After hemming and hawing about Origin and stuff, I finally just said "screw it, I want to play the game," and installed it. Played for a few hours last night after it unlocked (yay western time zones!).

I'm enjoying it so far. I'm not far enough in to have any complaints about the plot. The console port is pretty frustrating sometimes, though.

Most heinous is the field of view. It must be set even lower that Skyrim's default, which I think was 70. I often get nausea and headaches from low FOV FPSes, fortunately in this case I think it's the third person perspective that's keeping it at bay. Still it's ridiculous that a PC game should be stuck with a <90 FOV.

The one-button approach to everything didn't bug me in ME2, but now that you can dive, roll, flip around cover corners, roll from cover to cover, climb over cover, etc. it's crazy that it's all dependent on the space bar. I find myself accidentally rolling, flipping, blah blah all the time because I'm not perfectly positioned for the context to be correct.

Also annoying is the lack of keyboard shortcuts for the squad menu, journal, codex, etc. Would it kill them to make it so I can press J to pull up the journal?

I couldn't import my Shepard's face (FemShep) so the character I've been playing since ME1 looks just a little different, which bothers me more than I thought it would. I finally fixed it by finding a lookalike face on the web and copying the face code in.

Overall though I'm excited about the game and enjoying it. I just got past the first couple on-rails intro levels and things have opened up. Can't wait to explore. I'm actually going to be OK with early decisions coming back to haunt me if that happens. I think it'd be cool if some one-off decision in ME1 ended up hosing me two games later. It's just cool that that's even possible. I can always edit a ME2 save game or download a save game to get the other endings.

Yeah so that was long-winded. Can't wait to play more today.

51. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 13:58 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

50. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 13:47 avianflu

the eurogamer review is the fluffiest review of the bunch. Did they even finish the game before reviewing? Giant bomb -- at least so far -- is the only review that might be called remotely negative.  

49. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 13:34 The Half Elf

Hey Ray,
Planet Scanning IS in the game, but maybe 1 or 2 planets in a system need to be scanned (you scan the area and EDI tells you if there is something of interest). When that happens you go to the planet, hold down the left mouse button to scan, and just follow the pointer to a white spot that appears as you get close. Fire probe with right mouse button and all done. None of that nonsense from ME2.

As for the DLC, before with say ME2 you got this character that wasn't integral to the story, and could be totally ignored. The prothean from the DLC really does add to the back story of the Reapers, and so far has been very interesting to interact with.

Story wise, there is just a HUGE gaping hole between ME2 and the start of ME3. I'm not sure if that's due in part of The Arrival DLC for ME2 that I didn't play, but I really wanted to know what happened to the companions from ME2. As I really want to know what happened to Jack, Legion, Miranda, Jacob and Grunt.

And again so far they have thrown in every NPC you had some sorta mission with on the Citadel in ME1 in this game as well which is nice fan service.

Was I expecting ME3 to be the 'OMGWTFBBQ' I found Red Dead Redemption to be? No but it's very enjoyable even with it's quirks.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

48. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 13:32 Brataccas

Meh, I'll wait for the bargain sales if I play it at all. The ending to ME2 was so awful that I just can't bring myself to get excited over this one.  

47. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 13:27 Creston

Flatline wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:57:
*Sigh*

Fuck EA. Fuck them for ruining the last RPG experience I was actually anticipating. Especially since I started the ME games on xbox and don't want to throw away around 200 hours of gaming jumping over to the PC version.

I guess I'll be waiting for the bargain bin on this one. Thank you EA.

Please note that that's just what I've READ. I have no way of knowing whether it's actually true, or what those people consider to be 'grinding'. Some people feel that having to do 3 courier missions for prothean artifacts is grinding. Others happily spend 40 hours scanning planets until every single one is sucked dry and say they were having a great time...

Creston

46. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 13:11 Cutter

And this is precisely why you can't trust the bought and paid for review sites. The reason people vote 1's or 0's on Metacritic is to weight it away from the nonsense the paid for reviews give it. So in this case they're really rating the game somewhere in the 3-5 vicintity. And you're not going to have that ovewhelming negative reaction if the game was really worth a 9 or 10 as the paid reviews claim it is.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

45. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 13:01 nutshell42

I have unequivocal proof that ME3 sucks: Eurogamer didn't give it a 8/10.
The 10/10 is code, a desperate message from the Eurogamer staff to their faithful readers that BiowEAr (sorry) sEAls (k, I'm gonna stop now have infiltrated Eurogamer World HQ and forced them to write an undeserved hagiography.

On ME's story: No, it doesn't break new ground but it would be quite good for a B movie and that is impressive for a AAA game. Honestly, all it takes for people to say that a game has a great story is for it to have a story.

44. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 12:57 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:41:
Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 11:48:
NegaDeath wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 11:30:
Finished it last night, turns out Wrex is Shepards father. They go fishing on the citadel lake and then they beat up that reporter together. Brought a tear to my eye.

Carry on my wayward son.......

Oh sorry, spoiler alert! Where are my manners?

In all seriousness though, a friend of mine told me that the only way to get a non-troll ending (apparently the bad ending is pissing off a lot of people) is by playing the co-op stuff which seems really lame. I'm not sure if you can get that same ending by grinding the war assets stuff or not as I'm not quite there yet, I guess we'll see.

From what I've read, you have to "grind" the Fedex missions in order to get the A++ Happy Rainbows ending solely by playing single player. No idea whether this grind involves just going to every planet and scanning it (which I'd do anyway), or literally having to go to planets 10 or 20 times to do the same shit over and over again.

In any case, there's enough anger out there to show that EAWare did kind of lie about the whole "MP IS NOT NECESSARY!" Saying that you can get the best ending just by doing SP stuff is not exactly the same as "you can get the best ending but you have to MMO grind for it."

I'm sure an enterprising soul will hack the Galactic Readiness counter soon and let people artificially inflate it.

Creston

*Sigh*

Fuck EA. Fuck them for ruining the last RPG experience I was actually anticipating. Especially since I started the ME games on xbox and don't want to throw away around 200 hours of gaming jumping over to the PC version.

I guess I'll be waiting for the bargain bin on this one. Thank you EA.

43. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 12:48 Ruffiana

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:30:
I guess it comes down to the fine details - how things are presented, how epic things feel, how much they draw me in, how it plays, etc. - but I am concerned that this is just another re-release of the first game.

ME: Start from nothing, go build a team, go to an endgame fight.

ME2: Start from death, build a team, go to an endgame fight.

ME3: Start from a weak spot, build a team, go to an endgame fight.

I played the first two games and they were okay, but certainly not the amazing works of art that some people make them out to be - the story feels too limited and it is not a particularly strong, deep RPG or shooter. To date, the AI of the teammates has been fairly lacking as well.

Either way, here is to hoping they got the mix right this time. If not, I guess this will just be version 3.0 of the behind cover shooter release.

I have not read the reviews in detail - please, please, please, please, please tell me that planet scanning has been removed...
Worst part of the entire series.
Wondering what part of the story needs to be purchased to be seen,
Ray

It's not the main plot that's great, it's the sub-plots related to characters, their dialogue, and the manner that the story is told.

42. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 12:43 Ruffiana

There's no rational, reasonable excuse to give a game--any game--a score of 0 unless you open the box and instead of a disc there's a picture of Bobby Kotick's johnson with "Suck it!" written in comic-sans.  

41. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 12:42 Creston

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:30:

I played the first two games and they were okay, but certainly not the amazing works of art that some people make them out to be

Art is subjective, Ray. One man's art is another man's poop.

And isn't the whole "Start from a weak spot, build up stuff then go to an endgame fight," kind of how every RPG works?

Creston

40. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 12:41 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 11:48:
NegaDeath wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 11:30:
Finished it last night, turns out Wrex is Shepards father. They go fishing on the citadel lake and then they beat up that reporter together. Brought a tear to my eye.

Carry on my wayward son.......

Oh sorry, spoiler alert! Where are my manners?

In all seriousness though, a friend of mine told me that the only way to get a non-troll ending (apparently the bad ending is pissing off a lot of people) is by playing the co-op stuff which seems really lame. I'm not sure if you can get that same ending by grinding the war assets stuff or not as I'm not quite there yet, I guess we'll see.

From what I've read, you have to "grind" the Fedex missions in order to get the A++ Happy Rainbows ending solely by playing single player. No idea whether this grind involves just going to every planet and scanning it (which I'd do anyway), or literally having to go to planets 10 or 20 times to do the same shit over and over again.

In any case, there's enough anger out there to show that EAWare did kind of lie about the whole "MP IS NOT NECESSARY!" Saying that you can get the best ending just by doing SP stuff is not exactly the same as "you can get the best ending but you have to MMO grind for it."

I'm sure an enterprising soul will hack the Galactic Readiness counter soon and let people artificially inflate it.

Creston

39. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 12:30 Ray Marden

I guess it comes down to the fine details - how things are presented, how epic things feel, how much they draw me in, how it plays, etc. - but I am concerned that this is just another re-release of the first game.

I played the first two games and they were okay, but certainly not the amazing works of art that some people make them out to be - the story feels too limited and it is not a particularly strong, deep RPG or shooter. To date, the AI of the teammates has been fairly lacking as well.

Either way, here is to hoping they got the mix right this time. If not, I guess this will just be version 3.0 of the behind cover shooter release.

I have not read the reviews in detail - please, please, please, please, please tell me that planet scanning has been removed...
Worst part of the entire series.
Wondering what part of the story needs to be purchased to be seen,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo