Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup

Today marks the North American release of Mass Effect 3, culminating the Commander Shepard trilogy in this series of sci-fi action/RPGs. This page is where to find the previously released playable demo for the game, and Metacritic is beginning to aggregate reviews, showing a 93 metascore for the Windows edition from five critics, a stark contrast from the game's user score, which currently sits at 2.2. You can read reviews of the game on Ars Technica, AtomicGamer, Computer and Video Games, Destructoid, Edge Magazine, Eurogamer, G4tv.com, GameSpot, GameSpy, GameStar (in German), gamesTM, GamingXP, IGN, Joystiq, PC Gamer, and VideoGamer.

View
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

78. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 22:06 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 21:36:
Well creston, if you're having that much of a problem. Just use the crack, it works fine. That's what I'm using since origin keeps crashing(or randomly minimizing ME3) and taking my ME3 game along with it.

I am sorely tempted...

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 22:05 Creston

Dev wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 21:09:
Tumbler wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 20:50:
but they're EA. They probably bought used copies of DRM off ebay and paid somebody minimum wage to setup a "server".
HAHAAHAHHAAHAH
Nice

For quite awhile, Origin was just a storefront to a shitty DigitalRiver website. It at least looks like it's inhouse now (or rather, it no longer seems to be with DR.)

I finally managed to get it installed by UNINSTALLING Origin, then popping in the disc, so it could install Origin from scratch. Apparently even EA was stunned that someone would have already had Origin voluntarily installed, so their installer just didn't know what to do with that crazy scenario.

Fucking tardmongrels.

Anyway, so now I'm hit with the "We can't import your face!" bug. Goddammit.

Btw, does it seem to anyone else that the sounds seem kinda... dull? It's almost as if the game thinks all the sounds are coming from behind a window or something?

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2012, 22:12.

76. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 22:02 Asmo

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:25:
The other being after slogging through 2 again I'm left with the same feeling I had the last time, The entire plot is essentially playing therapists to your companions to try and gain the best possible outcome of them surviving the final battle solely on whether or not the player coddles them with their own personal issues that are in no way, shape, or form, even remotely tied into the plot itself.

Ummm, you do have the option to ignore them or go directly against their wishes which usually results in them getting snuffed in the last mission. Of course, this directly effects your chances of completing the final mission, but hey, you make your choices and you bear the consequences.

There's a difference between playing your character naturally ie. making choices on the fly without a grand strategy, playing as a pure paragon/renegade Shepard or playing a min/max who'll do anything to get the perfect ending. Two of those choices are purely to appease some sort of overarching strategy and ignore the role playing aspect of the game.

eg. I generally don't pick renegade but sometimes a renegade option appeals to me. This usually means I fall short of pure paragon, but that's the game.

It would be nice if performance in the final mission was more organic (eg. related to general morale, level, how often you've use a person on missions etc) rather than an arbitrary "you did their loyalty mission which makes them autowin", but that doesn't mean you have to ignore what you would choose to do if there wasn't an advantage to be gained by following the script of 'Shepard appeases everyone'.

75. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 21:36 Mashiki Amiketo

Well creston, if you're having that much of a problem. Just use the crack, it works fine. That's what I'm using since origin keeps crashing(or randomly minimizing ME3) and taking my ME3 game along with it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

74. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 21:21 NegaDeath

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 20:48:
Oh good, my pre-order DLC code for some +1 nubbins of charisma apparently has been redeemed already by someone else. EA support here I come....

Bat

Oh look at that! I was buying the "From Ashes" DLC in Origin and during the transaction it crashed. It took the money (natch) but no content for me.

**** you EA. Wall2

73. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 21:09 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 20:50:
but they're EA. They probably bought used copies of DRM off ebay and paid somebody minimum wage to setup a "server".
HAHAAHAHHAAHAH
Nice

72. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 20:50 Tumbler

But I thought according to some EA fans, origin was supposedly just as good as steam?

It is! When steam was launched these same issues were a problem when people bought HL2. It was quite the scandal. I was extremely upset that my store bought copy of HL2 wouldn't work until it was unlocked on steam. Same deal here. Of course EA has had years to watch and the technology available to them should be way ahead of what valve had back in the day...but they're EA. They probably bought used copies of DRM off ebay and paid somebody minimum wage to setup a "server".

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

71. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 20:48 NegaDeath

Oh good, my pre-order DLC code for some +1 nubbins of charisma apparently has been redeemed already by someone else. EA support here I come....

Bat

70. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 20:36 Dev

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 19:53:
So far it's been an absolutely EPIC EA customer experience.

Pop Disc 1 in. "Click next to install origin!"

Why? I already HAVE Origin installed. Okay, fine, whatever. Installs Origin.

"An update for Origin is available! Do you want to download it now?"

No, I fucking don't. I want to play my fucking game, but if I say no, you're just going to fucking quit to the desktop. So fine. Six minutes later the update is downloaded, and installed.

"Origin is updating"

And another 50 MB update.

So finally it's done. Then I get a "Session timed out" error, apparently the game did NOT register in Origin, and now it won't install.

FUUUUCCKKK EA

Creston
But I thought according to some EA fans, origin was supposedly just as good as steam?

69. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 20:30 Dev

Flatline wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:57:
Fuck EA. Fuck them for ruining the last RPG experience I was actually anticipating. Especially since I started the ME games on xbox and don't want to throw away around 200 hours of gaming jumping over to the PC version.
Thats when you goto one of those savegame sites mentioned in this thread and get a PC savegame thats has the same things as your xbox savegame in terms of what gets imported.

68. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 20:00 SpectralMeat

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 19:25:
I think I'd rather spend my money on this:

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/blog/

Steam: SpectralMeat

67. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 19:53 Creston

So far it's been an absolutely EPIC EA customer experience.

Pop Disc 1 in. "Click next to install origin!"

Why? I already HAVE Origin installed. Okay, fine, whatever. Installs Origin.

"An update for Origin is available! Do you want to download it now?"

No, I fucking don't. I want to play my fucking game, but if I say no, you're just going to fucking quit to the desktop. So fine. Six minutes later the update is downloaded, and installed.

"Origin is updating"

And another 50 MB update.

So finally it's done. Then I get a "Session timed out" error, apparently the game did NOT register in Origin, and now it won't install.

FUUUUCCKKK EA

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2012, 20:03.

66. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 19:48 Ray Marden

I had to redo mine even though it's been carried from ME to ME2.

It's annoying I have to do it, but it's the rough facial choices (at least for a female character) that make it painful.
And why are most of the hair options so clumpy?
Wondering who has eyes like that,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

65. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 19:41 Mashiki Amiketo

ShakaUVM wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 18:28:
NOTE: If you created a custom face in ME1, and imported it into ME2, you *cannot* import your face into ME3.

I spent two hours trying to recreate my face, and failed.

It's the most ridiculous thing about ME3.
Really? Mine imported over just fine. Though I haven't tried on any of my 4 other characters I'm going to use. But my first one worked, I have seen a bunch of posts in the social forum on this though. Sounds like something got fudged up.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

64. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 19:25 Silicon Avatar

I think I'd rather spend my money on this:

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/blog/

63. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 18:52 vrok

If you like long meaningless cutscenes and a bland story, with bad but extremely brief console cover shooter segments in between, get ME3. Otherwise, don't.

Haven't finished it yet but so far I'd say it's overall the worst ME.

62. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 18:28 ShakaUVM

NOTE: If you created a custom face in ME1, and imported it into ME2, you *cannot* import your face into ME3.

I spent two hours trying to recreate my face, and failed.

It's the most ridiculous thing about ME3.

61. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 17:18 Scheherazade

ME2 'basic' does not complete the ME2 story.

To finish the ME2 story, you need the "Arrival" DLC.

If you never purchased the DLC, then you are left with a hole in the story.

Below is what you missed :

SPOILER

(highlight to read)

In that DLC, a doctor/archaeologist finds an artifact that informs her that the reapers are about to arrive through an alternate [to the citadel] relay... "about to = basically NOW"

You destroy the relay, and the explosion blows up an entire system, killing countless numbers.

For that, you are in trouble.

/SPOILER

-scheherazade

60. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 17:06 Cutter

Tumbler wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 15:59:
At the end of ME2 you're like "The Reapers are still coming, we only slowed them down yet again, and we still have no clue how to stop them.

I took the ending that kept the Collectors base intact so I'm really confused how I went from doing that to being a insubordinate officer that should be in prison and Earth has no defenses still? Maybe that base went 100% to Cereberus and they didn't share anything with the earth government? ...why wouldn't I continue to work with Cereberus if they're the ones holding the tech that can make a difference?

Maybe because all your base are belong to us?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

59. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 16:09 NegaDeath

avianflu wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 13:47:
Did they even finish the game before reviewing?

Usually they don't have to. All that is required is to erect a favorable number in between 9 and 10 as a review score, so that cheque from EA is justified.

It's ironic that a perfect example of this is a sequel to a different Bioware game. Anyone else remember the great reviews KOTOR 2 got and it turned out Obsidian cut out the last 1/3rd? Pfft who needs "endings", amiright?

118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo