Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer

2K Games now offers a new trailer with a "deep dive" into XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the upcoming counter-UFO strategy game revival. The clip features the developers discussing what's going into the project, along with glimpses of gameplay.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 7, 2012, 08:15 Prez

Atmosphere: One great strength of the original was the great atmosphere and creepy music. I'm heartened by the creepy Matrixy title and that they showed a night level. But all the aliens were visible all the time in the video, and the apprehension the original was not knowing where they were. Hopefully they are able to repro the creepy atmosphere of the original.

That's a concern of mine as well. I'm assuming that Fog of War type bug hunting not making for exciting trailers is why none of that was shown, so I'm waiting for more in depth preview of that. Like you said, the fear of stepping off your transport with the first soldier and seeing blackness all around you in the original was delicious.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 7, 2012, 06:06 Dmitri_M

It's looking great.

I understand why they're including the 'glam cam', but it'll be the first option I disable when I boot the game. Hopefully that will be possible.

41. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 7, 2012, 02:33 Donkey_Punch

Tumbler wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 20:57:
That link above just popped up a google warning and stopped me from visiting the site because it's been known to load malicious software...

Their forums got hacked (a wordpress addon had a security hole) and they had a problem with redirects. All has been fixed since last week. Google needs to update their info.

Xenonauts so far has been funded by donations (somewhat like Kickstarter). I believe they have over 3000+ supporters.

40. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 22:22 jdreyer

Okay, that looks really cool. This is so much more than I could have hoped for. Thank you, Firaxis.

Graphics and sound: Nice near-future graphic design. They don't look TOO cutting edge, so should work on older hardware. Although, being a turn based game, they could have gotten away with more graphic fidelty without worrying about frame rate. Nice weapon graphics and sound effects.

Gameplay: Moving guys seems intuitive, with good feedback mechanisms to let you know your range and limitations. It seems like you could take your turn fairly quickly.

Concerns
Atmosphere: One great strength of the original was the great atmosphere and creepy music. I'm heartened by the creepy Matrixy title and that they showed a night level. But all the aliens were visible all the time in the video, and the apprehension the original was not knowing where they were. Hopefully they are able to repro the creepy atmosphere of the original.

Ant Farm base: This design is WAY cool, but one of the greatest things in the original was defending your base when the aliens discovered and raided it. With this vertical design, it doesn't seem like this is possible.

The glam cam: It is cool, but I hope they allow you to adjust the frequency /turn it off. I could see it getting frustrating if they overuse it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

39. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 22:12 Dev

Prez wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 21:16:
- Action points are out, which is cause for a bit of concern, but given the risk and reward type system of choices, the requisite tension in each move should still be intact
IMHO, it sounds like they are doing something akin to a paper RPG type game where you can move, or you can shoot and still have "points" in reserve to react, or you can move AND shoot at a penalty, or you can double move at a penalty (in this case I think the penalty is you can't react if you do a "double" thing). So I think the essence of a risk/reward turn based system is being preserved.

38. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 21:20 Sepharo

Never played the originals but this is looking great!

I'm not a turn based enthusiast or anything but I did enjoy Silent Storm.

I want to play it right now... I don't tend to get that way about most games these days.

37. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 21:16 Prez

Wow, am I excited! As THE world's biggest X-Com fan, I give this project my full blessing!

My thoughts on the video

++++ Turn-based!!!! That is KEY. The original had tension you could cut with a knife- no other genre can rack your nerves like Turn-based games, and tell me you didn't jump when an interrupt plasma ball is fired out of the blackness as your soldier reaches the end of his action points!! X-Com was NEVER about action; it was about tension.

- Action points are out, which is cause for a bit of concern, but given the risk and reward type system of choices, the requisite tension in each move should still be intact

+++ Destructible Terrain. You could destroy EVERYTHING on a map in the original, and finally it seems that all-important, emergent, dynamic gameplay mechanic is being brought back. FINALLY.

+++It looks FANTASTIC.

- - "Cinematic"... I have come to hate that word in games.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 21:06 Dev

BTW, there's a "wtf is" about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc7IVbY3UYg
Looks like it was back in september, so its a previous build. Looks like it was before the glamcam too.
Tumbler wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 20:57:
If you want a real authentic feeling remake then check out http://www.xenonauts.com . It is still in alpha and they are going to do a Kickstarter for more funding.

That link above just popped up a google warning and stopped me from visiting the site because it's been known to load malicious software...

Didn't happen on my chrome. Also my kaspersky didn't say anything either.

The site looked legit, I just looked at it and the forums and the pre-order page, etc.

If it was infected, looks like its ok now.

35. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 20:57 Tumbler

If you want a real authentic feeling remake then check out http://www.xenonauts.com . It is still in alpha and they are going to do a Kickstarter for more funding.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

34. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 20:39 Dev

This looks pretty cool!

Donkey_Punch wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:08:
Make sure you keep us up to date on if/when they start it. I'm certainly interested.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2012, 20:49.

33. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 20:28 Cutter

I am going to both play and enjoy this.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

32. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 20:17 Yifes

I hope they keep the tension and fear of the original in. Also, it looks like they are focusing more on building unique soldiers with RPG mechanics, a la Jagged Alliance than the generic expendable soldiers of X-COM. Still looks great, a first day purchase for me with what I've seen so far.  

31. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 19:50 MisterBenn

Yeah this looks pretty promising. The tactical section already looks like it's made good progress and seems to be a great combination of the old gameplay with modern UI and fluidity. The new time system might even end up being an improvement in some ways, it might be clearer to understand if your guy's got time to duck and shoot, or reload a rocket and shoot at a glance.

The ant farm I don't find so exciting, a nice touch perhaps you still design the base on a single plane like the original. Am I right in saying your base can no longer be invaded? I thought I read that a while back... a bit of a disappointment but not a deal breaker.

Anyhow it seems like I will be getting this from what I've seen, the good parts of the original seem to be represented and the prospect of a newly conceived alien threat is great!

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

30. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 19:24 Nate

Need more gameplay videos!  

29. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 18:40 Chromius

Wow I am excited. I believe I may have to continue breathing for a while till this comes out. It may make the act of continuing to breath in this nerfed world worthwhile, lol.

I sort of enjoyed JA BiA but too much was ripped out especially fow, lets hope this is much better.

28. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 16:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

This looks awesome, only reservation I have so far is apparently you can only have 6 soldiers in your squad at a time. This worked for Silent Storm, BG2, etc. so hopefully it works here, but they are probably going to miss out on some classic X-Com flavor not having 12+ man teams.

*EDIT* That ant-farm base view is unreasonably awesome.

27. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 15:20 saluk

Looks win. For those not paying attention, they worked time units into unit actions, so it's not really dumbing down the ideas, just changing the visibility a little bit. It should make for some interesting tactics, if a slightly different feel. There isn't much shown in detail in the video about the unit actions, but the ones they did show look pretty interesting. That plus a cover system alone is worth the update. I'm pretty sure glam cam will be toggleable. I think it looks amazing but I can see how it might be something I got tired of.  

26. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 15:03 Riker

Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 14:39:
Not even certain the FPS is still being worked on - we've seen nothing in over a year, right? At this point maybe they even renamed it.
That piece of shit is still in production, unfortunately. I'll take this XCOM reimagining over a throwaway FPS any day.

25. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 14:39 Beamer

Rhett wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 14:33:
Reminds me of Silent Storm. Love it. One of my most anticipated games this year. Was totally shocked to read about it a couple weeks back... didn't know this game even existed. I thought it was just the FPS X-COM.

It wasn't announced until a few weeks ago, and there is an FPS X-COM.

Any guesses as to which will sell better, or the ratio of sales between them?
Not even certain the FPS is still being worked on - we've seen nothing in over a year, right? At this point maybe they even renamed it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 14:33 Rhett

Reminds me of Silent Storm. Love it. One of my most anticipated games this year. Was totally shocked to read about it a couple weeks back... didn't know this game even existed. I thought it was just the FPS X-COM.  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo