Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Wow, the news is all about today being "Super Tuesday." I had no idea the mainstream media was so filled with Mass Effect 3 fans.

Super Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Papa's Pancakeria.
Links: Recast Great TV Shows.
Stories: Fox Cancels Terra Nova. Got cancelled here during the pilot.
Science: DARPA Cheetah Sets Speed Record for Legged Robots. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
NASA’s robotic Project Morpheus aims for the Moon.
Fear Of Doctors Leads To Thousands Of 'Avoidable' Cancer Deaths.
Media: 10 Minutes Of "John Carter" Online.
Men In Black 3 - Trailer 2.
Follow-up: Brevity.
The myth of the eight-hour sleep.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 11:34 Fion

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:25:
The only reason Terra Nova even got a full season order with those production costs was Spielberg's backing. Very poorly executed show overall, I've rarely been so bored while watching something with so much potential.

Tell me about it. It's almost as bad as Walking Dead, which is cringe worthy in my book.

And people wonder why I avoid most US television and vastly prefer the stuff the Brits are putting out these days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 11:32 Shok

The DARPA cheetah made me think of the rat things from Snow Crash.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 10:50 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:41:
The SFX were good for TV, I agree with you that those people were just whining. The show's costs were already insane without leaning on CGI that wouldn't have helped make the actual stories more interesting. The real problem was mediocre writing and characterization. I don't know what I expected from the show but it wasn't regurgitated plotlines from TNG season 1.

Yeh, definitely the writing. I'm just surprised they failed when given such solid raw material to work with. They could have gone in any one of a dozen directions, and they somehow chose one of the 2 paths to cancellation.

Meanwhile the son drove me nuts;
  • I hate you

• I forgive you

• I hate you

• I'm going to do something SOOOO stupid

• I'm going to spend the next 6 episodes whining about a girl I just started dating being stuck in the future even though a hottie is obviously into me

• I'm going to work for our enemy (how could that POSSIBLY back-fire)

• I'm going to punch out the NEW dictator in front of his royal guards, because that couldn't possibly end badly for our resistance movement

• The sad thing is, he really WAS acting like a stupid teenager which is one of the reasons why I kind of don't want kids... ever.

But it had pay-off; after hearing him whine ALL YEAR about that girl he was dating back in the future we get to see her explode in front of him 2 minutes after they're re-united. It dove-tailed nicely into getting his face beat in by the new dictator.

-

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2012, 11:01.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 10:41 Verno

The SFX were good for TV, I agree with you that those people were just whining. The show's costs were already insane without leaning on CGI that wouldn't have helped make the actual stories more interesting. The real problem was mediocre writing and characterization. I don't know what I expected from the show but it wasn't regurgitated plotlines from TNG season 1.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
    Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 10:30 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:25:
    The only reason Terra Nova even got a full season order with those production costs was Spielberg's backing. Very poorly executed show overall, I've rarely been so bored while watching something with so much potential.
    It really did have potential, to the point where I can't see HOW they managed to screw it up. It had:
  • Time Travel

• Dinosaurs

• Conspiracy (people in the future want to do... something)

• Bad guys in the past

• Guy from Avatar (did a great job here)

• Guy from US-version of Life on Mars (also did a good job)

• Skye was alright (I remember her from "Kings")

• It had a lot of cool things going for it... and yet it just failed.

I blame part of it on dedicated too-much-time each weekend on the family-oriented stuff. I'm fine with SOME family stuff going on (keeps the main character grounded, shows what they're all fighting for) but it just seemed like too much. Add to that, the son was the worst character on TV in the past year (annoying + stupid + inconsistent).

Some people whined about the SFX, but considering it was a TV show it was alright. My only gripe was that "animated gif" of the large fish they showed... that was weak sauce. But besides that, even their worst effects were passable for TV.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 10:25 Verno

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
    Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 10:15 The Half Elf

No ME3 Now Shipping section? So far really enjoying the story, and all the characters (even side npc's) being brough back for a quick reunion.

EDIT: Whoops you have it up now.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo