Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Wow, the news is all about today being "Super Tuesday." I had no idea the mainstream media was so filled with Mass Effect 3 fans.

Super Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Papa's Pancakeria.
Links: Recast Great TV Shows.
Stories: Fox Cancels Terra Nova. Got cancelled here during the pilot.
Science: DARPA Cheetah Sets Speed Record for Legged Robots. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
NASA’s robotic Project Morpheus aims for the Moon.
Fear Of Doctors Leads To Thousands Of 'Avoidable' Cancer Deaths.
Media: 10 Minutes Of "John Carter" Online.
Men In Black 3 - Trailer 2.
Follow-up: Brevity.
The myth of the eight-hour sleep.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2012, 13:20 Agent.X7

Just wanted to thank those of you who mentioned Breaking Bad. I checked it out because of your posts, and now I am catching up on the show on Netflix. Great show. Thanks again.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2012, 10:38 Verno

PHJF wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 16:08:
It's exactly like every other drama on television. I signed up for a zombie show and ended up with the same insufferable characters bitching and moaning their way through the same human drama tripe, and maybe once in a while a couple zombies shamble on screen. Show is fucking awful.

Right but if you expect someone to make a TV show out of just the action bits with zombies then you're going to be sorely disappointed. You can't do seasons of foraging and counting bullet inventory. You can't make that show for longer than a handful of episodes because people want the human element, not John the Samurai wannabe cutting up zeds with a katana. That might be comical for a 2 hour movie like Zombieland but it can't work for a TV season.

The trouble is that they started out mixing both fairly well but it really devolved part way through the first season. The second season has been nigh unwatchable until the last episode or two. I get what people's problems are with it, you act like I said its the best show on television or something. It has some great elements and it has some laughably bad elements, its a very divisive show. I think the characterization itself is very solid and the actors range from ok to good but the writing has always been dreadful.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2012, 10:45.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

45. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 7, 2012, 10:28 Beamer

Terra Nova was a good idea made horrible because it was terrible characters discussing boring things with a heavy focus on stupid children.

The Walking Dead is similar. Great idea. Terrible characters endlessly discussing boring things for no organic reason. The difference is that the actors are terrible, where Terra Nova at least had one or two good ones, and there's really no time given to children or effort to appeal to families.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

44. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 7, 2012, 10:25 kanniballl

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 23:54:

Haha. When I tell people I don't have any TV service they look at me like I'm from another planet. Trying to explain that it's cheaper for me to buy DVDs, Blu-rays, or HD downloads of the handful of TV shows I watch than to pay for a subscription to TV service is like trying to explain to a hardcore Southern Baptist that Jesus wasn't a white guy. It just doesn't compute for them.

I'm surprised, now-a-days I know a bunch of people (even tech UN-savvy) considering dropping their Cable service in favor of some variation of: Netflix + DVDs + iTunes + Hulu.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

43. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 7, 2012, 01:16 eunichron

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 23:25:
cappy wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 22:34:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 18:24:
I just realized that I am well below the national TV watching average. about 6 hours a week, or less than an hour a day. The average is 28 hours a week. (Not that I'm less prone to sitting around, I just play video games or the drums instead.)

I definitely beat the average.

I don't watch six hours of television in a year. Probably less than four hours total a year.
Oh yeah? Well I don't even own a TV. So there! Smug

Gotta say some of the best years of my life were 3 years when I didn't own a TV or phone. You can learn a lot when you're not distracted.

42. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 6, 2012, 23:54 Agent.X7

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 23:25:
I just realized that I am well below the national TV watching average. about 6 hours a week, or less than an hour a day. The average is 28 hours a week. (Not that I'm less prone to sitting around, I just play video games or the drums instead.)

I don't watch six hours of television in a year. Probably less than four hours total a year.

Haha. When I tell people I don't have any TV service they look at me like I'm from another planet. Trying to explain that it's cheaper for me to buy DVDs, Blu-rays, or HD downloads of the handful of TV shows I watch than to pay for a subscription to TV service is like trying to explain to a hardcore Southern Baptist that Jesus wasn't a white guy. It just doesn't compute for them.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

41. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 6, 2012, 23:25 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

40. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 6, 2012, 22:34 cappy

39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 21:08 Agent.X7

Sepharo wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 19:18:
Ya know, we have a thread for these lists

But that's a top ten list. All of my top ten favorite shows have been canceled for years.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

38. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 19:18 Sepharo

Ya know, we have a thread for these lists

37. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 19:12 Veterator

Stole this list from other people's post and deleted what I don't watch. No particular order, although there are some I watch as soon as I get em saved.

- Archer - How much they screw with this shows scheduling pisses me off.

- Spartacus - Newest season is a different vibe than the first season....it's good, just not as good.

- House of Lies - Decent show, some episodes are better than others.

- Dexter - Lots of ups and downs, I prefer a darker Dexter...he needs to get back to killing instead of having long rivalries each season.

- Homeland - Decent show, I put them off to watch a few at a time when it's airing.

- Fringe - Watch it every week, can't say I like this season as much as the others... If it ends up being truly canceled I'll be pissed since it's the best Sci-Fi show on Tv and I generally like their casting.

- Psych - Always good, they screw with it's airing too much.

- Lost Girl - Usually good, although they've been "building up" too much this season.

- New Girl - Good, Schmidt is probably the funniest on the show.

- Big Bang Theory - Used to like it more, anymore the shows feel repetitive.

- Person of Interest - Liked it more earlier in season, now there's too much going on with all the nemesis stuff going on.....might turn out to make the show better or might end up getting it canceled.

- The Good Wife - Seems to be slowing down...we'll see.

- Once Upon a Time - Kinda too kiddy on some episodes, but generally decent overall.

- How I Met Your Mother - Good, but I feel like this show is about to call it quits like they are wrapping it up.

- Walking Dead - As long as there is a few walkers in it each episode it seems to be pretty decent, but when they get into the "talk all the time" mode...it drags.

- Burn Notice - Good, but I agree it got pretty dull for awhile.

- Sons of Anarchy - Better in earlier seasons, too much inner plotting for my liking.

- Castle - Great show, some episodes more than others, but the bar for the show is much higher than most.

- Eureka - Thought it dragged, but hopefully it is really good in the last few episodes they give it.

- Justified - He needs to shoot more bad guys, because those ends up being the best episodes...

- Glades - Good, not great.

- Covert Affairs - Good, could be great but the family drama stuff is meh.

- Royal Pains - Solid good show, nothing particularly noteworthy, just a good show.

- Fairly Legal - Was good for it's first season, we'll see on rest.

- Warehouse 13 - Second best sci-fi on tv, it has tie ins with Eureka.....it may be a way to keep "Eureka" alive. Plus I like the whole idea of the show with the artifacts having powers and the general weirdness of the casting.

- Vampire Diaries - Lower end of good, something to watch. Sometimes interesting is best I can say about it.

- Sanctuary - Good, the show does too much. I'd prefer to see more characters rather than special FX and super-ginormous invasions, etc.

- Napoleon Dynamite - All the people from the movie (mostly) in cartoon form.

- Unsupervised - This show is surprisingly funny, the kid who works at the dump is great.

- True Blood - Im a fan of the books......the TV show has it's moments of being better but generally I find myself disappointed.

- Being Human - Brit show and US show, good.

- Californication - Nudity, sometimes funny.

- Shameless - This is a great show, it's just nuts.

- 2 Broke Girls - Probably my favorite comedy and one of my favorite shows on TV at the moment. Couple good looking girls, one who makes off color marks all the time.

- Blue Bloods - Good cop show.

- Southland - Better cop show.

- Breaking In- It got uncanceled so it's coming back.

- Breaking Bad - Last season, probably be one of the best shows to ever air.

- Community - I think they are cancelling it, but this is a really good show.

- Cougar Town - Decent...it's pretty consistent so if you see one and like it, you'll probably like most.

- Game of Thrones - Excellent show, big fan of the books (at least all but the last couple)

- Grimm - Mythology type show, I like these.

- Happy Endings - Funny...has Elisha Cuthbert and a Wayan in it.

- Haven - No idea if this show is coming back, but I thought it had a really good story going.

- Memphis Beat - Cop Show, more funny than serious.

- Misfits - Brit show, kids with super powers. They lost most of their cast this season, but their first season was awesome.

- Raising Hope - Good show, the grandma on there cracks me up.

- The Finder - New show, and I think it's pretty good. The guy's talent is finding things and he's a little whacked out in the head.

- The League - Fantasy football based comedy...I don't care for sports but this show is just hilarious.

- Mentalist - I like the show, I wish it would move along faster though on some stories.

Family Guy, Cleveland Show, American Dad - When I I've ran out of other shows.

Craig Ferguson - When Im out of Family Guy or someone I like is on.

Long list, Im sure I missed a few. But I saw some of you had a number of shows I capture when they come on whenever. So figured I'd pass on a longer list.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 19:03 Agent.X7

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 18:32:
Only one guy watching Justified? Damn, you folks are missing out on some seriously awesome Boyd Crowder...

Creston

I seriously cheer out loud every episode when Raylan does something crazily violent. Running the one guy over, then backing over him instead of shooting him. Yanking the table cloth and blasting the one guy. Shooting through the dead body. Beating the crap out of the pimp. The man is a pressure cooker of anger. He really reminds me of Olyphant's character in Deadwood, too.

Boyd is just awesome because he started out as a completely unlikable neo-nazi, racist shithead and transformed into a guy you can sympathize with.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

35. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 18:36 space captain

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 18:32:
Only one guy watching Justified? Damn, you folks are missing out on some seriously awesome Boyd Crowder...

Creston

yeh i been on that since it started.. its good

btw house of lies is a good one too.. primo cheadle

Go forth, and kill!

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 18:32 Creston

Creston

33. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 6, 2012, 18:24 Agent.X7

Well, they cancel almost every show that I get into, so I stopped getting into most shows until they've been on a while.

Must Watch:
Walking Dead - a lot of people complain about it, but I think it's great.
Burn Notice - got a bit stale then picked back up.
Sons of Anarchy
Castle - Nathan Fillion = the man!
Eureka - Which, of course, got canceled.
Justified
Fringe - Canceled, of course.
Glades
Covert Affairs - Or Alias 2.0, if you prefer.

Catch sometimes when I am bored:
Vampire Diaries
Sanctuary - Love most of the actors from other shows, this show is "meh" though
Warehouse 13 - because it's OK sci-fi

Stuff like Alcatraz I am waiting to see if it makes 2 seasons before I waste time on it. I'd seriously love another Stargate show, but with MGM, who knows.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2012, 21:28.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 18:17 space captain

theres a show on now called Grimm, and it should be ridiculously horrible.. but somehow its not... still not quite "good" tho

very confusing

Go forth, and kill!

31. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 6, 2012, 16:10 Razumen

briktal wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 15:02:
Razumen wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 13:26:
mch wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:05:
Am I missing something....or is that cheetah actually running backwards?

The legs are not anatomically correct to be sure, what are supposed to be it's front legs have the joint facing the wrong way, not to mention al the legs are missing a joint or two. Obviously the name cheetah was only mean to reference its speed.

I suppose the speed is impressive, but conducting the test on a treadmill has it's own flaws because it's quite different than having the robot move on its own (Try running 30 minutes on a treadmill one day, that running the same amount and speed around a track the next and you'll see what I mean)

The robot has no feet.

That's what I meant by the missing joints, but even if it did have paws it's front legs are bending the wrong way for it to be a cheetah.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 16:08 PHJF

The Walking Dead is simultaneously very good and amusingly bad. The cinematography is incredible, the sets and makeup are top notch (first season anyway) and there's nothing else quite like it on television.

Is that a joke? It's exactly like every other drama on television. I signed up for a zombie show and ended up with the same insufferable characters bitching and moaning their way through the same human drama tripe, and maybe once in a while a couple zombies shamble on screen. Show is fucking awful.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 15:40 Ratty

eunichron wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 14:53:
  • Dexter; kind of disappointed with the last season, but it's really hard to top seasons 2 and 4
  • Dexter definitely has its ups and downs. Almost all of the last season was sitting on my DVR until I was finally bored enough to watch the whole thing over a few nights. Hate the baby. I'm sure the producers (or the original author) thought ha ha, how fun would that be? A serial killer by night and a diaper changer by day. But it just gets in the way and is distracting. But the big thing is how any peril Dexter gets into - whether it's almost getting discovered or almost getting killed - seems to be wrapped up neatly in the first five minutes of the next episode. Oh no! Dexter's drugged and tied up in the back of the killer's van! Next episode: he wakes up and somehow manages to untie himself and kill the guy in the first scene. And there's a LOT of that sort of thing in Dexter.

Still, the last season's cliff hanger was pretty awesome and kind of what everyone had been waiting for. If THAT's tied up neatly and forgotten about by the end of the episode next season I'm definitely cancelling my subscription to Showtime. (Then I can start watching Spartacus!)

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 15:17 Verno

Tehol wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 14:29:
    i am getting tired of dexter show, dexter became all weepy and needy...meh.
    sad to hear about the walking dead, i wanted to watch it because the comics are interesting.
    i hope some one try make tv show based on the comic preacher.

The Walking Dead is simultaneously very good and amusingly bad. The cinematography is incredible, the sets and makeup are top notch (first season anyway) and there's nothing else quite like it on television. On the other hand the writing has never been good and the showrunner got canned due to parent company interference which is ongoing and has really harmed the second season (ever watched actors sit around on a farm set for 9 episodes? Boy howdy).

I'd still say its worth checking out but just be warned that the quality is all over the place. I love some episodes and others have me turning off the TV. It's a really weird show.

Also Breaking Bad is pretty amazing and makes the case for american produced television by itself

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
    Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo