Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Wow, the news is all about today being "Super Tuesday." I had no idea the mainstream media was so filled with Mass Effect 3 fans.

Super Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Papa's Pancakeria.
Links: Recast Great TV Shows.
Stories: Fox Cancels Terra Nova. Got cancelled here during the pilot.
Science: DARPA Cheetah Sets Speed Record for Legged Robots. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
NASA’s robotic Project Morpheus aims for the Moon.
Fear Of Doctors Leads To Thousands Of 'Avoidable' Cancer Deaths.
Media: 10 Minutes Of "John Carter" Online.
Men In Black 3 - Trailer 2.
Follow-up: Brevity.
The myth of the eight-hour sleep.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 15:16 eunichron

mch wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 15:06:
eunichron wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 14:53:
  • Game of Thrones; the sooner season 2 (book 2) starts the sooner they get to season 3 (book 3)!

• ...And the sooner we get to the end of book 5 and sit around waiting for 6-7 years for the next installment

Since no one else has mentioned it in this list of worthwhile TV shows...Breaking Bad.

Oh yes, forgot about Breaking Bad, the show that forever ruined Malcolm in the Middle for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 15:06 mch

eunichron wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 14:53:
  • Game of Thrones; the sooner season 2 (book 2) starts the sooner they get to season 3 (book 3)!

• ...And the sooner we get to the end of book 5 and sit around waiting for 6-7 years for the next installment

Since no one else has mentioned it in this list of worthwhile TV shows...Breaking Bad.

PSN: CaseDesignate

25. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 6, 2012, 15:02 briktal

Razumen wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 13:26:
    mch wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:05:
    Am I missing something....or is that cheetah actually running backwards?

The legs are not anatomically correct to be sure, what are supposed to be it's front legs have the joint facing the wrong way, not to mention al the legs are missing a joint or two. Obviously the name cheetah was only mean to reference its speed.

I suppose the speed is impressive, but conducting the test on a treadmill has it's own flaws because it's quite different than having the robot move on its own (Try running 30 minutes on a treadmill one day, that running the same amount and speed around a track the next and you'll see what I mean)

The robot has no feet.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 14:53 eunichron

Ratty wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:29:
    Thank god Terra Nova's gone. Flat hokey characters, flat hokey dialog. Maybe Fox will have enough money now to keep Fringe going.

Indeed. Terra Nova had an amazing premise, along the lines of Stargate, but the writing, acting, and subplots were just unbearably awful. No love lost for that cancellation.

Pretty much the only things I've been watching are

• Dexter; kind of disappointed with the last season, but it's really hard to top seasons 2 and 4

• The Walking Dead; becoming disappointed with this one too, they're spending too much time on that god damn farm, get to the prison already

• House of Lies; Don Cheadle's new show on Showtime, definitely check it out if you haven't
  •  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 14:42 Agent.X7

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:25:
    The only reason Terra Nova even got a full season order with those production costs was Spielberg's backing. Very poorly executed show overall, I've rarely been so bored while watching something with so much potential.

I missed the finale, but forced myself to watch the rest hoping it would get better. It had good moments, but overall, yeah, it was boring. They made a show with dinosaurs, sci-fi, and some great actors completely boring. As an added bonus, they shoved that hokey score down your throat every five minutes. Oooh, pretty vista! DAAAA-DAAAAA-DAA-Daa-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Oooh, Dinosaur! DAAAA-DAAAAA-DAA-Daa-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Oh, family moment! DAAAA-DAAAAA-DAA-Daa-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! GAH, stop it!

Oh, and I couldn't stand that they painted Nerf guns and used them as props. What the fuck are you people doing with the budget? Speilberg masturbating on it and throwing it away?

Origin - JStarX7
    STEAM - Agent.X7
    PSN - JStar_X7
    Xbox Live - Agent X7

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 14:29 Tehol

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 11:50:
    Speaking of good brit stuff, Luther got picked up for a third series but its on hold until Idris Elba's two movies hes filming are all wrapped.

that 's good news! i love that show.

i am getting tired of dexter show, dexter became all weepy and needy...meh.
    sad to hear about the walking dead, i wanted to watch it because the comics are interesting.
    i hope some one try make tv show based on the comic preacher.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 14:28 space captain

the first 5 chapters of snow crash are incredibly awesome.. the rest of them are ok  
    Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 6, 2012, 14:12 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 14:03:
    These little robots are all fun and games and all, but they're totally fucking pointless until one comes along that doesn't have to be plugged in.

This is how Skynet starts. They're building these things so they and eventually do recon, search and destroy, etc.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

19. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 6, 2012, 14:03 PHJF

These little robots are all fun and games and all, but they're totally fucking pointless until one comes along that doesn't have to be plugged in.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 6, 2012, 13:26 Razumen

mch wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:05:

The legs are not anatomically correct to be sure, what are supposed to be it's front legs have the joint facing the wrong way, not to mention al the legs are missing a joint or two. Obviously the name cheetah was only mean to reference its speed.

I suppose the speed is impressive, but conducting the test on a treadmill has it's own flaws because it's quite different than having the robot move on its own (Try running 30 minutes on a treadmill one day, that running the same amount and speed around a track the next and you'll see what I mean)

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 13:14 Cutter

Shok wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 11:32:
    The DARPA cheetah made me think of the rat things from Snow Crash.

Where the hell is the movie and game based on Snow Crash? Where the hell is the internet based on it? I pity the foo's who have never read Snow Crash.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 12:56 kanniballl

Fortunately this list isn't on-air at 100% the same time... between staggering things and weeks off it's not as insane of a list of you might think.

- Archer
    - Spartacus
    - House of Lies
    - Dexter (just started getting back into that show)
    - Homeland
    - Fringe
    - Psych
    - Lost Girl
    - The River
    - NCIS
    - New Girl (eh, it's quirky)
    - Big Bang Theory
    - Person of Interest
    - The Good Wife
    - Once Upon a Time
    - How I Met Your Mother (though I'm cutting back on that)

And off-season
    - Royal Pains
    - Covert Affairs
    - Fairly Legal
    - Eureka
    - Warehouse 13

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2012, 13:01.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 12:45 Ratty

PHJF wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:35:
    You shouldn't admit in public to watching True Blood.

Blue, where is your talk of Spartacus? We're half way through season two here!
    Heh, I thought I'd get called out for New Girl, not TB.

I'd watch Spartacus too if I got Starz.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 12:35 PHJF

You shouldn't admit in public to watching True Blood.

Blue, where is your talk of Spartacus? We're half way through season two here!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 12:29 Ratty

Thank god Terra Nova's gone. Flat hokey characters, flat hokey dialog. Maybe Fox will have enough money now to keep Fringe going.

What I watch:
    Archer (of course)
    Walking Dead/Talking Dead
    True Blood
    Dexter
    Fringe
    Family Guy
    Supernatural
    Psych
    New Girl

I tried to watch Game of Thrones but I just don't like it. All the evil people and betrayals make me feel bad.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 12:06 kanniballl

Alamar wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 11:58:

I know NOTHING about this show, but based on your Life on Mars comment (and the list), it makes me think this is another copy of a good BBC show, that I can't remember the name of.... Primeval.. I think...

-Alamar

Primeval was better, or at least Season 1-2 were solid (haven't seen the later stuff).

But they were different. Terra Nova more-or-less takes place 100% in the past; they time travel there to a (supposed) alternate timeline since their world is borked. So they have lotteries for some / and pick necessary people for others, to send back so humanity can thrive on "green" tech.

With the exception of Dinos and the final head-scratching scene of the show... there's very little similarities between them.

Terra Nova was actually more of a Earth 2 vibe but without all of the walking; surviving in the wilderness with weird stuff going on. With a little Avatar stuff thrown in: regular-Earth eventually decides it wants to strip-mine the Eden-like planet but the leader of Terra Nova wants to preserve it.

In a role-reversal, the guy who played the "Evil" General in "Avatar" now plays the "Save the Trees" guy in Terra Nova.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

11. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 6, 2012, 12:05 mch

PSN: CaseDesignate

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 11:58 Alamar

kanniballl wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:30:
    The only reason Terra Nova even got a full season order with those production costs was Spielberg's backing. Very poorly executed show overall, I've rarely been so bored while watching something with so much potential.
    It really did have potential, to the point where I can't see HOW they managed to screw it up. It had:
  • Time Travel

• Dinosaurs

• Conspiracy (people in the future want to do... something)

• Bad guys in the past

• Guy from Avatar (did a great job here)

• Guy from US-version of Life on Mars (also did a good job)

• Skye was alright (I remember her from "Kings")

• It had a lot of cool things going for it... and yet it just failed.

I blame part of it on dedicated too-much-time each weekend on the family-oriented stuff. I'm fine with SOME family stuff going on (keeps the main character grounded, shows what they're all fighting for) but it just seemed like too much. Add to that, the son was the worst character on TV in the past year (annoying + stupid + inconsistent).

Some people whined about the SFX, but considering it was a TV show it was alright. My only gripe was that "animated gif" of the large fish they showed... that was weak sauce. But besides that, even their worst effects were passable for TV.

I know NOTHING about this show, but based on your Life on Mars comment (and the list), it makes me think this is another copy of a good BBC show, that I can't remember the name of.... Primeval.. I think...

-Alamar

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 11:56 kanniballl

Fion wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 11:34:

Tell me about it. It's almost as bad as Walking Dead, which is cringe worthy in my book.

And people wonder why I avoid most US television and vastly prefer the stuff the Brits are putting out these days.

I hate the whole zombie genre, which is why I haven't watched Walking Dead. I'm not against it or whatever, just not a fan.

But the reviews said that (at least) the first season was really good. I can't confirm or deny though.

Really, the only show I REALLY look forward to watching every week is Archer

Lost Girl, a Canadian import on SyFy is also pretty decent. A bit riske for basic Cable but otherwise alright.

House of Lies is a great Premium cable show, as is Spartacus (though the 1st season was better).

Everything else is "meh" I'll watch other stuff if I don't have anything better to do, but there's not much out there that really drawls me in.

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 11:50 Verno

Speaking of good brit stuff, Luther got picked up for a third series but its on hold until Idris Elba's two movies hes filming are all wrapped.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
    Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo