Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Leaked

The Windows PC and Xbox 360 editions of Mass Effect 3 are available illegally online in advance of this week's official release of the action/RPG sequel. This is deemed mainstream news by Develop (though they aren't actually providing torrent links), who note that this seems to work in spite of EA requiring use of the Origin service for a one-time game activation.

View
103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

103. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 11, 2012, 15:52 FireFoxx74

Yeah, completed it last night (used Korea unlock), the DLC screen after the credits is real

The other comments about people wanting to pay for an 'ending DLC', I think this is a misunderstanding. People want the ending that they've paid 150+ for (over the course of 3 games). From what I understand ME3 has 17 possible endings, split into three categories, depending on the player's final decision(s) and how well they performed in the game.
The disappointing/annoying part is that the endings are more or less identical, and have very little connection to the choices/actions across the trilogy (and even final game). There's even reports of characers that died in ME2 appearing in the ending of ME3, although I've not seen that personally.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

102. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 7, 2012, 14:46 Verno

If that Reddit image is real then LOL "Commander shepard has built a legend by ending the Reaper threat but YOU can continue it through downloadable content!" holy shit EA that's almost as shameless as DA:O Warden's Keep stuff.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

101. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 7, 2012, 12:59 Creston

ASeven wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 00:44:

Am I the only one to feel utter disgust at people wanting to buy an ending DLC? No wonder publishers keep milking gamers when people clamor for ending DLCs... Fanboys really are the worst thing possible to happen to consumer rights...

Well, apparently ALL the endings are bad, at least to an extent that they are not the "the hero and the girl walk off into the sunset" ending, so that's what people are pissed over. You spend 120 hours playing a game series, it kinda sucks to have the main character AND every side character basically die.

Creston

100. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 6, 2012, 04:13 hello newman

I remember old SSI/Westwood games like Eye of the Beholder had savegame importing.

99. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 6, 2012, 03:15 Jerykk

I like the fact that the decisions that I made in the previous games might come back to haunt me.

Yes. Those e-mails in ME2 from characters I didn't remember from ME1 were very haunting.

Seriously, though, I hope ME3 actually gives some real consequences to the choices I've made in the past two games. So far Bioware's promise of persistence has been superficial at best.

As I recall it was the first starforce and the ONLY one to take that long. After that most of the delays were a week or few. Plus, I read about ways that didn't require cracks, ways that used emulation instead, and were available from day 1 of a starforce game release, so it didn't really stop anyone determined to not pay for a game.

This. There were workarounds for Starforce right off the bat. The only problem is that they were very hardware-specific and thus didn't work for everyone. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory took about a year to crack but once the crackers figured out how to do it, that was the end. Every Starforce game after that was cracked within days.

98. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 6, 2012, 02:11 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 23:24:
Rhett wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 15:14:
There are even people on the Bioware forum clamoring for the ability to "buy better endings." Yes, buying DLC to finish the game the way they want it to end. What the hell is this? Does EA/Bioware really need another excuse to cut up more of future games to sell parts as DLC?

EA is probably hearing the sound of a cash register opening and closing.

Anyway, if nothing else, I really worry that that just even further puts the nail in the coffin of ever getting another game where your choices matter and carry over. Bio was already worried about people making bad choices and getting a bad ending in ME3, so they added the MP to beef it up. Now people are clamoring to be able to buy the best ending. Nobody actually seems to give a shit that their decisions in the past games may lead to a poor ending.

Sigh

Am I the only one to feel utter disgust at people wanting to buy an ending DLC? No wonder publishers keep milking gamers when people clamor for ending DLCs... Fanboys really are the worst thing possible to happen to consumer rights...

It also doesn't make any sense. Masseffectsaves.com and Masseffect2saves.com have about every possible savegame available....for free. They even have XBOX saves I believe. Fans have been uploading them there ever since Bioware announced the first game's saves would carry over to number 2. I guess Google is too complicated for some people.

97. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 6, 2012, 02:04 meezookeewee

I honestly felt that carrying games over from the previous Mass Effect games is probably one of the best ideas that BioWare's had. You reap what you sow.....so to speak. I like the fact that the decisions that I made in the previous games might come back to haunt me. It makes for a more dynamic experience, I think. As for people buying the ending they want? Lazy. Pure and simple. I want the ending that I EARNED, not the one that I bought.  

96. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 6, 2012, 01:58 Kajetan

Fanboys really are the worst thing possible to happen to consumer rights...
This whole industry is centered around exploiting emotional addicted gamers. What do you expect?

95. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 6, 2012, 00:44 ASeven

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 23:24:
There are even people on the Bioware forum clamoring for the ability to "buy better endings." Yes, buying DLC to finish the game the way they want it to end. What the hell is this? Does EA/Bioware really need another excuse to cut up more of future games to sell parts as DLC?

Anyway, if nothing else, I really worry that that just even further puts the nail in the coffin of ever getting another game where your choices matter and carry over. Bio was already worried about people making bad choices and getting a bad ending in ME3, so they added the MP to beef it up. Now people are clamoring to be able to buy the best ending. Nobody actually seems to give a shit that their decisions in the past games may lead to a poor ending.

Sigh

94. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 23:31 Creston

Dev wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 20:08:
Thanks, didn't they even bother to test that kinda thing? lol

This is EA. What is this 'test' you speak of? SHOVE IT IN A BOX AND SELL IT SELL IT SELL IT QUICK QUICK QUICK MAKE A NEW VERSION IN 4 MONTHS SELL SELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLlllllllll....

Anyway, yeah, thanks Mashiki. That'll save me some irritation tomorrow.

Creston

93. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 23:24 Creston

Sigh

Creston

92. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 21:50 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 21:17:
Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 20:04:

I have 10 of those $1 asian copies in my apartment. 4 from Shanghai, 3 from Beijing and 3 from Bangkok. Purchased to see how big of a threat it is.
Not a single one runs on a US system, despite repeated claims of being region free.

I'm betting it will work on consoles from the region where it was sold though. They aren't specifically selling it to other regions when they already have many customers back home where the games do run well.

Same thing happens in Eastern European countries and Russia as well and those work in Europe I can assure you. And I haven't even touched South America which is perhaps the biggest market of these $1 pirated copies.

Oh, right, you did mention world piracy.
In fairness, world piracy is less annoying than domestic piracy. It's really an attempt to stop the western countries from falling into the "piracy is totally acceptable and the best way to get games" mindset. Whether it achieves the latter part of that or not is up for debate...

edit - that sounds sarcastic. No way to acknowledge that you said something I missed without sounding sarcastic. Not in text at least.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2012, 22:47.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

91. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 21:27 Dev

Fantaz wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 20:59:
Perhaps Electronic Arts should follow Ubisoft and switch their DRM to Starforce, which in the case of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory took over a year and two months to crack?
As I recall it was the first starforce and the ONLY one to take that long. After that most of the delays were a week or few. Plus, I read about ways that didn't require cracks, ways that used emulation instead, and were available from day 1 of a starforce game release, so it didn't really stop anyone determined to not pay for a game.

IMHO, as long as pre-release PC piracy is stopped, that's probably one of the biggest piracy drivers in changing customers to pirates, since actual customers who are desperate about the game (the ones who line up at midnight releases) will start getting it just to have it earlier than they could play a legit copy. That case is where they could lose a good chunk of people who would otherwise pay for the game. And guess what? Thats mostly been stopped with pre-release checks that encrypt or don't even provide the actual game .exe before a date. I don't think any steam game that has a preload and unlock like that has been pirated before release. In fact I recall a minor controversy with Half Life 2 where people were able to buy it in the store a day in advance but weren't able to play actual retail copies until steam unlocked it for them the next day.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2012, 21:38.

90. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 21:17 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 20:04:

I have 10 of those $1 asian copies in my apartment. 4 from Shanghai, 3 from Beijing and 3 from Bangkok. Purchased to see how big of a threat it is.
Not a single one runs on a US system, despite repeated claims of being region free.

I'm betting it will work on consoles from the region where it was sold though. They aren't specifically selling it to other regions when they already have many customers back home where the games do run well.

Same thing happens in Eastern European countries and Russia as well and those work in Europe I can assure you. And I haven't even touched South America which is perhaps the biggest market of these $1 pirated copies.

89. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 20:59 Fantaz

Perhaps Electronic Arts should follow Ubisoft and switch their DRM to Starforce, which in the case of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory took over a year and two months to crack?  

88. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 20:46 Overon

It does not bode well when they couldn't even get previous Mass Effect save game autodetection...  

87. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 20:08 Dev

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 17:55:
Thanks for the heads up Lorcin, managed to snag it and now I can play it without the !@#(*ing time lockout of waiting another 6 hours. Especially since my buddy in S.Korea has been playing it since this morning and has been pestering me to do a MP game with him. If he's buying what do I care? ;p

Seriously if it's one thing I don't understand it's why they don't put on a lockout so it hits on the IDT. People will use VPN's to bypass it anyway.

Save game transfers are fudged by the way:
They don't transfer over, there's no option in the config editor, you need to add it in manually.

Go to

C:\Users\NAME\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 3\BIOGame\Config

and open gamersettings.ini

Copy and paste the folder address for your ME 2 save next to

[SaveGames]
Location=

So:

[SaveGames]
Location=C:\Users\NAME\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save\

Thanks, didn't they even bother to test that kinda thing? lol

I don't have ME3, but if they ever put it on steam I will likely pick it up.

86. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 20:04 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 16:53:
eunichron wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 15:34:
Not that I'm trying to defend asshole companies like UbiSoft that try to blame PC piracy for all of their woes, but I can look at my BitGamer account right now and tell you that the number of seeders and leechers for the PC version easily outnumbers the number of seeders and leechers for the 360 and PS3 versions combined by at least twofold. In fact, here's a screenshot for you: http://i.imgur.com/qyI2a.jpg

Ugh, one of the worse fallacies thrown around when discussing piracy, the torrent numbers. Those numbers are only using one tracker, take into no account private trackers and the lion's share of console piracy, black market sales on the street. If you ever go to some Asian countries you'll find dozens of people selling the latest pirated console games on the street for less than a dollar. And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Many in the industry use those numbers as proof, unfortunately they only prove that at that specific tracker PC piracy is higher and that specific tracker doesn't even count to 5% of all world gaming piracy.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

85. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 20:03 Dev

Julio wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 18:22:
Waiting for them to sell DLC that removes the DRM and does nothing else.
I'd pay for that.

84. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 19:48 AnointedSword

and this is how we say thank you for making a good game. Grow the heck up!  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo