Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 6, 2012, 19:06 m0deth

Everyone seems to react to Metro, but I just have no plans to use it,

Problem is, even in the Consumer Preview still, you have no choice.
Also, you assume too much about the legacy desktop in Windows 8, it is not the same animal as Windows 7 UI wise, and productivity ends up showing it. I still can't help but think this will waste more time than it saves, and having a more modular OS choice, with modular UIs made more sense, one kernel and codebase, and UIs to match the device that needs it.

I fear that approach was over the heads of the new Windows team. I can see where this OS will work on tablets, and that's pretty much it as Metro wastes so much fn space and time on a Desktop driven screen that it cannot possibly justify itself with bland mini-apps that remind me of shit Yahoo played around with ten years ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 6, 2012, 09:29 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 05:02:
The've made some under the hood improvements, faster booting, less resources used, better driver support for the latest hardware (as usual), better ways to restore a system that was infected with malware, etc. etc.

Propaganda and lies, all of it.

Well... I wasn't defending them, nor stating it as fact. Just going by some of the things I've read. Here is a brief article on all of the security enhancements: Protecting you from malware and here is a brief article about "System Refresh" Windows 8 with inbuilt computer repair

While there is no silver bullet to security, it is good to see them making it tougher for the hackers.

That said, I still won't get Windows 8, unless I can disable metro. I played with the developer preview, but haven't played with the customer preview. I did, however play with Windows Server 8... and they pretty much pulled the same shit with the start menu. It's not quite as bad as the consumer OS... but still aggravating.

20. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 6, 2012, 08:21 Beamer

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 23:36:
Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 19:28:
Julio wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 18:23:
Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 10:52:
No.

Creston

Completely agree. Win 8 is for tablets, Win 7 (or other non-windows OS) are for PC. Maybe its time for Apple to step up its game on desktop gaming.

Apple is pulling back on desktops even more than Microsoft. They have no interest, and why would they? Desktops are not a money maker. Desktops don't have a future. I'd say 40% of the computers in my company are laptops, and 90% of the new purchases are laptops.

What kind of laptops, though? OS-wise, there's little to no difference between a desktop and a laptop. So unless your company is buying everyone touchscreen laptops (or even tablets), that's not really saying a whole lot.

Creston

I meant in response to his "step up its game on desktop gaming." Apple has no interest in putting that kind of GPU power into anything anymore, as it's now the biggest computing company in the world and desktops are rapidly becoming too niche for them.

You're correct about it being the same OS, but I meant more hardware. OS wise I think Apple will be moving the way MS is, which is the way Google sort of tried. I am totally reserving judgment on Win8 until I use it, as having a desktop that can run tablet apps in native resolution makes sense. Having a giant Metro interface does not, but Win8 has two GUIs, and one makes perfect sense for desktops and notebooks. Everyone seems to react to Metro, but I just have no plans to use it, unless I buy a Win8 tablet (somewhat likely I suppose, as much as I hate tablets they have their uses, though I'd be hard pressed not to get an iPad after comparing them to my TouchPad) or a Win8 phone (extremely likely, my WP7 is pretty far and away the best phone I've ever held.)

I see few comments about the actual desktop interface in Win8, other than occasional comments about how it seems to make actual windowed usage harder, which is insanely concerning, but even then it's often just when discussing Metro apps. Right now I view Metro apps as bonuses, not prime software.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 6, 2012, 07:35 Julio

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 23:36:
What kind of laptops, though? OS-wise, there's little to no difference between a desktop and a laptop. So unless your company is buying everyone touchscreen laptops (or even tablets), that's not really saying a whole lot.

I'd be fine with a laptop or desktop OS, just not a tablet one.

18. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 6, 2012, 05:02 InBlack

The've made some under the hood improvements, faster booting, less resources used, better driver support for the latest hardware (as usual), better ways to restore a system that was infected with malware, etc. etc.

Propaganda and lies, all of it.

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 23:36 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 19:28:
No.

Creston

Completely agree. Win 8 is for tablets, Win 7 (or other non-windows OS) are for PC. Maybe its time for Apple to step up its game on desktop gaming.

Apple is pulling back on desktops even more than Microsoft. They have no interest, and why would they? Desktops are not a money maker. Desktops don't have a future. I'd say 40% of the computers in my company are laptops, and 90% of the new purchases are laptops.

Creston

16. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 19:28 Beamer

No.

Creston

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 18:33 nin

The more important question you have to ask yourself is that if you want to have the "old" interface from Windows 7, why do you want to upgrade to W8?

Well that depends on if MS starts pulling it's old tricks about certain pieces of software (DirectX, IE) only working/installing on the latest OS.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 18:23 Julio

No.

Creston

13. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 15:56 Verno

jimnms wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 13:52:
You actually can turn it off, and use the Windows 7 style interface.Check out youtube for some preview videos. The actual registry code for is gone now in the consumer preview

Yeah exactly. There are some kludgy workarounds for the consumer preview involving ViStart and custom folders but the actual code for the Windows 7 start menu is literally gone now. You can't really bring it back anymore and its super frustrating because it really interrupts your workflow.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

12. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 15:37 wtf_man

jimnms wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 13:39:
It could if they make the Metro UI optional so desktop users can turn it off (or better yet not even install it)

The problem is that they probably won't make it optional, since they want you to buy stuff from their metro app store.

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 15:24:
The more important question you have to ask yourself is that if you want to have the "old" interface from Windows 7, why do you want to upgrade to W8? Is there really such a huge amount of upgrades and a huge leap ahead from W7 to 8 ? Other then the interface of course.

Whether that's enough to warrant an upgrade depends on how much more of that under the hood stuff ends up in the final product.

However, there has to be a way to TOTALLY disable metro before I'd consider it.

If enough people bitch... MAYBE they'll listen... but it looks doubtful after this latest consumer build.

11. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 15:24 SpectralMeat

jimnms wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 15:18:
Not with the latest release of the consumer preview. You can go to a Windows interface, but clicking where the start button used to be brings you back to the metro interface. The registry hacks that worked in previous versions to bring back the old style start menu don't work anymore.
The more important question you have to ask yourself is that if you want to have the "old" interface from Windows 7, why do you want to upgrade to W8? Is there really such a huge amount of upgrades and a huge leap ahead from W7 to 8 ? Other then the interface of course.

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 15:18 jimnms

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 13:52:
It could if they make the Metro UI optional so desktop users can turn it off (or better yet not even install it), but then Windows 8 wouldn't have anything to set itself apart from Windows 7.
You actually can turn it off, and use the Windows 7 style interface.
Check out youtube for some preview videos.
Not with the latest release of the consumer preview. You can go to a Windows interface, but clicking where the start button used to be brings you back to the metro interface. The registry hacks that worked in previous versions to bring back the old style start menu don't work anymore.

Steam Profile

9. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 14:00 DangerDog

Ripperjack wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 11:23:
At the article "For the Internet, No More Innovation for the Fun of It", I am not surprised. ALL the good ideas are done, now people are just tyring to find ways to cash out!

I still can't download a real working car, and I want my 3D holographic girlfriend already!

8. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 13:52 SpectralMeat

jimnms wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 13:39:
No.

Creston

It could if they make the Metro UI optional so desktop users can turn it off (or better yet not even install it), but then Windows 8 wouldn't have anything to set itself apart from Windows 7.
You actually can turn it off, and use the Windows 7 style interface.
Check out youtube for some preview videos.

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 13:39 jimnms

No.

Creston

Steam Profile

6. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 12:42 mag

Ripperjack wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 11:23:
At the article "For the Internet, No More Innovation for the Fun of It", I am not surprised. ALL the good ideas are done, now people are just tyring to find ways to cash out!

There are still plenty of good ideas left, I think. They are just harder to execute with all of the greed suffusing the industry.

5. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 12:33 Endo

DrEvil wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 11:02:
No.

Creston

Indeed, and it looks like Windows 8 is the new Windows ME / Vista disaster for desktops.

Maybe Windows 9 will actually be suitable for desktops.
Maybe. I'm starting to wonder if Windows 7 will be the last Microsoft OS I use.

But yeah, every new piece of information I see on Windows 8 just makes me that much more sure I'll never willingly use it.

4. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 11:48 Enahs

I dunno.

I really really like it so far.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

3. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 11:23 Ripperjack

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo