Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I couldn't be happier with how this weekend's batch of chili turned out. My recent variations on the recipe have backed off from my purist approach to adding spiciness though fresh peppers by adding a few more dried spices. This resulted in a more subtle heat that's sort of a roller-coaster ride, rather than being so fiery right from the start, and the use of some chipotle added the smokiness I was hoping to achieve. Good stuff.

R.I.P.: Guitarist Ronnie Montrose Dead at 64.

Fiery Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Working Stiffs.
Stories: Larry Flynt offers $1M for dirt on Congress.
Disability assessment office moving: 13th floor stair hike "not ideal". Thanks Neatorama.
Divorce Late in Life: The Gray DivorcÚs. Thanks Neatorama.
Science: Blast it or paint it? Asteroid to threaten Earth in 2013. Thanks HARDOCP.
Robotic surgeries costlier but safer: study.
Taking vitamin E linked to osteoporosis: research.
First World Dog Problems.
Media: If Online Gamers Were Honest.
The Real Housewives of Disney.
Dangerously funny elevator prank.
The Funnies: Dilbert.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Blast it or paint it? Mar 7, 2012, 08:21 Mr. Tact

The scariest thing about asteroid DA14 is if it was going to hit us next year, we would have found it too late to blast or paint it...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 00:19 Sepharo

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 22:55:
The Mayans never accounted for leap years and if we were to remove all the leap years since Caesar created them, our date today would be somewhere in 2013 and the world should have ended several months ago.

Oops.

Saw this a dozen times as a meme on facebook today.
Not once on G+ though.
I'm sure it originates somewhere where the e-peens are bigger.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 22:55 Wallshadows

The Mayans never accounted for leap years and if we were to remove all the leap years since Caesar created them, our date today would be somewhere in 2013 and the world should have ended several months ago.

Oops.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 20:29 Alamar

Made a pot of chili myself recently...

Ground beef, some cumin, some chill powder, a can of tomato soup, a jar of salsa, a can of Hunt's Spicy Red Pepper (THE black label heh), let simmer until hungry ; )

Very simple, and I enjoy it, though certain body parts I won't mention don't always appreciate it ; )

-Alamar

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 19:10 Cutter

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 17:21:
To put things in to perspective the Barringer Crater in Arizona was created by an object 50 meters in size and is one kilometer wide and 750 feet deep.

The explosion was equal to about 2 1/2 million tons of TNT or ~150 Hiroshima nukes.

So what you're saying is that the Aztecs got the date slightly wrong and the world will end in Feb instead of Dec? Well at least we'll have a nice last Xmas.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. im ready Mar 5, 2012, 17:51 space captain

hoochie mama!!!  
Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 17:37 Root

Blue,

Did you try the Ghost Naga peppers yet? Wondering if they have a good flavor like the habenaro's or are they all heat...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 17:21 Wallshadows

To put things in to perspective the Barringer Crater in Arizona was created by an object 50 meters in size and is one kilometer wide and 750 feet deep.

The explosion was equal to about 2 1/2 million tons of TNT or ~150 Hiroshima nukes.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 17:19 Cutter

If you want to try something really good - and healthier - use bison meat instead of beef. That or wild boar. Speaking of which Im goin gto make some honey sage boar ribs soon!

And I hope you're grinding your own spices and not buying them pre-ground or you may as well be buying dirt as all the good oils have been leeched out of them already.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 15:00 Dev

Blue,

Ads that autoplay sound (such as that Clearasil ad that was on the right) are kinda annoying, at least to me.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 12:23 Ratty

brother19 wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 09:59:
When I make chili I combine dry spices in a cast iron pan, with a small amount of oil, and sear them a little bit. Brings out the flavor.
Yup. It's called "blooming." Like you said, you can really taste the difference. I bloom some dried anchos and chipotles (but without any oil) then grind them into powder. My chili powder is 8 tbsp whole cumin seed, 8 tbsp oregano, 4 tbsp paprika and a tsp of cayenne. Bloom them in the skillet for a minute or two then into a coffee grinder to make the powder. I don't make texas-style chili but I'm going to give Blue's recipe a try real soon. Better than any cook book I'm guessing with all the tweaks he's discovered.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 10:19 Enahs

This might offend some, and I am a southerner, it kinda offends me. But throwing in chunks of chicken breasts into chilli, along with the beef, it is just damn tasty.  

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 10:16 InBlack

Larry Flynt is the man.  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2012, 09:59 brother19

When I make chili I combine dry spices in a cast iron pan, with a small amount of oil, and sear them a little bit. Brings out the flavor.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo