Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well a bunch of circumstances put off my recent plans to make chili, but I finally got to it yesterday, and I have a bit over three quarts of brown gold cooling at this very moment. One complication was that I wanted to get a pressure cooker to preserve it when I was done, but became daunted by the question of whether our smooth-top stove can stand the weight of the large one I want to get, so I've forestalled that decision for now. And as the chili is a constantly evolving process, I have updated my recipe to best reflect my most recent technique for this.

R.I.P.: Ralph McQuarrie, 19292012. Thanks Neutronbeam.

Golden Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: The Paint Gunner.
Links: 'Game of Thrones' new trailer- It's war!.
Steampunk Sniper Rifle. Thanks Neatorama.
Wake Up With Some Coffee Flakes.
Stories: Terrafugia preps flying car for New York auto show. Thanks HARDOCP.
Science: Outbreak of kidney failure in Wyoming linked to Spice.
Unnecessary cancer treatment in men on the rise.
Garfunkel and Oates - Save the Rich. NSFW.
Media: Japanese Speech-Jamming Gun in Action.
Top Gear Viper AH-1 Helicopter Crash.
A moronic bike thief attempts to ply his trade.
The Funnies: FoxTrot.
Dilbert.
Star Wars Dad.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 23:40 Jensen

I've been playing Vessel. Very fun puzzle platformer. There is a demo on Steam.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 22:23 nin

Ralph McQuarrie was an amazing artist.

A feed I followed mentioned this link. I didn't realize how much of that work was one guy.

I was always far more interested in the mechanics of how they made the Star Wars and Indiana Jones films over the movies themselves. I

If you not checked out these books they're highly recommended. I still need to get the empire one, and I'm assuming a jedi book is forthcoming.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 21:53 ^Drag0n^

Ralph McQuarrie was an amazing artist. I remember in junior high saving $85 for these crazy expensive ILM art books just to be able to have the privilege of looking at his concept art and matte paintings whenever I wanted. I still have them today.

I was always far more interested in the mechanics of how they made the Star Wars and Indiana Jones films over the movies themselves. Ironically, my wife and I visited Treasure Island in the SF Bay today just to look over the building that was used as the setting for the Nazi nighttime book-burning scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Rest in peace, Ralph. You were an amazing artist, and you will be missed.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 18:55 nin

I've been resisting downloading a "Game of Thrones Season 1" torrent since I'd rather pay for it, but if it doesn't get on somewhere like Amazon or Netflix soon...

On dvd Tuesday from netflix...or $35 in blu from amazon.

I'll watch it on dvd first, but I'm looking forward to it.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 17:39 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 17:12:
Prez wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 16:14:
That "Game of Thrones" trailer looks damn cool. I've been resisting downloading a "Game of Thrones Season 1" torrent since I'd rather pay for it, but if it doesn't get on somewhere like Amazon or Netflix soon...

Seeing as it was televised it's not like you're stealing it. You definitely have to watch it. The casting is virtually perfect. I love Peter Dinklage as Tyrion!

The casting is spot on, probably the best cast HBO has done since The Wire. I was really hoping to see Eva Green as Melisandre, but the woman they picked did pretty well in Black Death.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 17:12 Cutter

That "Game of Thrones" trailer looks damn cool. I've been resisting downloading a "Game of Thrones Season 1" torrent since I'd rather pay for it, but if it doesn't get on somewhere like Amazon or Netflix soon...

Seeing as it was televised it's not like you're stealing it. You definitely have to watch it. The casting is virtually perfect. I love Peter Dinklage as Tyrion!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 16:57 eunichron

I don't normally openly condone piracy, but do yourself a favor and do it already, you're really missing out.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 16:14 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 15:58 nin

DNForever wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 15:19:
DXHR still in the top ten on Steam... good for it, although I'm still stuck on the last boss.

Easily one of my favs for last year. I'm about due for another play through, once I wrap up skyrim (est April...2015).

5. Ralph McQuarrie, 19292012. Mar 4, 2012, 15:57 jdreyer

It's funny, but when we think about the people who are associated with Star Wars, names like George Lucas, Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamill (and even John Williams) come to mind, but usually not Ralph's. But everything we love about the way Star Wars looks came from Ralph's mind: the design of ships like the Falcon, X-Wing, and Tantive IV; the character design like Darth's insecto-skull mask, tusken raider, and Han's look; vehicle design like the sandcrawler and AT-AT; droid designs like R2D2 and the probe droid; creature designs like the rancor and banthas; location designs like cloud city, Yavin's moon, and the death star, all of these were created pretty much verbatim from Ralph's concept art.

I have bought several books of Ralph's drawings over the years, and I highly recommend them. The galleries over at ralphmcquarrie.com seem down right now, but you can view images over at Galactic Voyage.

In addition, Ralph designed the iconic Battlestar and Viper fighter for BSG, two of my all time favorite starship designs.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 15:19 DNForever

DXHR still in the top ten on Steam... good for it, although I'm still stuck on the last boss.  

3. Re: Outbreak of kidney failure in Wyoming linked to Spice. Mar 4, 2012, 15:04 Enahs

Coincidence, I got a big ass huge batch of chilli going now as well.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

2. Outbreak of kidney failure in Wyoming linked to Spice. Mar 4, 2012, 14:52 jdreyer

Wyoming, Arrakis. No need for us earth-living folks to be concerned with this story.

Apparently the Spice grants immortality at the expense of your kidneys. Who knew?

UPDATE: In spite of my sad attempts at humor, this is a tragic story. The reason Spice was created at all was to skirt our draconian marijuana laws (Schedule 1? Really?? Alcohol is more dangerous, statistically). While obviously I don't think we should be selling MJ laced lollipops to toddlers, something as simple as decriminalization would have prevented this. MJ is a mild, non-addictive drug with valid medical uses, but the way we treat it in the USA is just stupid. This coming from a non-user, BTW.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2012, 15:08.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 14:46 btallas

lol @ new yorker calling his chili "Texas" chili. Why not call it new york chili?  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo