Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Hardware Plans?

A post on The Verge follows up on recent comments by Valve's Gabe Newell about the possibility of Steam hardware by saying this is exactly what Valve is working on, and a reveal may come as early as next week at San Francisco's Game Developer's Conference (thanks Kotaku).

The article cites unnamed "sources" who say Valve is working with various hardware vendors on a "Steam Box," which sounds more exotic than "Windows PC," which is what this seems like, as word is: "Apparently meetings were held during CES to demo a hand-built version of the device to potential partners. We're told that the basic specs of the Steam Box include a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU. The devices will be able to run any standard PC titles, and will also allow for rival gaming services (like EA's Origin) to be loaded up." They note a couple of possibilities that may make this more distinctive than a hardware specification, speculating it may include a proprietary controller, a biometric feedback device, and could take better advantage of Steam's "big picture mode."

This all still speculation at this point, as Valve has not responded to their request for comment.

View
139 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

79. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 23:49 eunichron

Prez wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 21:57:
Ha, nice try, but no. It isn't bravado to point out it's easy to talk shit when there's no risk for doing so. Or hoping that somehow you eventually get the ass-kicking you need.

If it's any consolation I am just as much of an ass in real life as I am on the internet, and yet no one has kicked my ass.

Dev wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 22:11:
2) No, more like I'm referring to those class action lawsuits from EA employees vs EA. Those ones that cost EA over $30 million. I have no idea what letter you are talking about.
You realize that was back in 2004, right? EA has since gotten a new CEO, and word is (even from the employees involved in the lawsuit) that things have improved immensely. Their game support may suck, but those aren't usually games I play anyway. What's more, most of the claims of permanent bans (especially the ones surrounding DA2, SW:TOR) are hoaxes.

Also, EA may ban people (for 72 hours) for acting like jackasses, but Valve only bans you for being generous: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/01/thought-do-we-own-our-steam-games/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

78. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 23:49 Jivaro

^Drag0n^ wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 20:18:
I actually think this is brilliant, in a way: for practically ZERO investment, you can drop a huge library of *PC* games on the TV.

For what an xBox costs right now, you could have a more than compitent mid-grade PC hooked up to a TV.

Honestly? Done right, this could be the second salvo in the battle to keep the PC relevant.

Not a bad thing at all.

^D^

I knew somewhere in all these posts would be one "positive" post that made sense. +1, totally agree. Not that it couldn't go wrong...of course it could, but I don't see what is wrong with Valve testing the waters. Done wrong, its forgotten like the Nintendo Power Glove and Atari Jaguar, done right....it could be pretty damn cool.

77. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 23:37 Dev

Krovven wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 23:07:
Buying/building a gaming PC today, you'd have to be a fucking moron to not get 8gig of ram considering how little it costs. Recommended spec of having 8gig of ram is just around the corner. Saving $10 to go with 4 or 6 gigs of ram is sheer stupidity.
Correct and that is LITERALLY how much extra it would cost. Given that you can get 8 gigs for like $35.
Cutter wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 20:04:
If you don't know the difference between someone like Valve and EA/Activision/Ubisoft you don't belong on this site, much less EVER call yourself a gamer.
Amen brother.

76. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 23:13 Tumbler

This would be awesome. I have a 360 and ps3 out in my family room and do most of my gaming there. I would love to see Steam be an option for gaming out there.

Make it fully functional with a controller and I'm sold. A super Console experience!

The trickiest thing would be dealing with FOV issues. That seems to be the weirdest thing about multiplatform games on pc vs console. The console games are built for someone sitting far away and pc games are generally built for someone sitting very close. This has always been an issue with trying to play a pc in my family room. I end up having to reposition chairs and such and it's really annoying and ultimately not worth it.

As long as the game could identify this box and adjust the visuals to be the same size and fov as the normal console version this could be awesome. Civ V for example is playable from farther away but if you don't know how to play the game you're going to be squinting a lot. (or moving a lot closer) If you know how to play you can identify shapes and icons and such.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

75. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 23:07 Krovven

zirik wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 20:06:
Krovven wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:49:
You don't build for now, you build for the future.

i gave up building for the future based on software requirements especially video games. i always end up upgrading something in order to maximize performance. and if im having to upgrade a component then its not future proof.

truth of the matter is by the time any game uses 8GB of ram we would be needing faster hard drives, video cards, processors and loading new operating systems. it would make building for the future pointless.

Buying/building a gaming PC today, you'd have to be a fucking moron to not get 8gig of ram considering how little it costs. Recommended spec of having 8gig of ram is just around the corner. Saving $10 to go with 4 or 6 gigs of ram is sheer stupidity.

74. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 22:29 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 22:24:
Why would you bother?
I dunno...

Maybe it was in the hope that if someone open minded read the comments they would be convinced by facts instead of name calling? I highly doubt I am going to convince those particular posters of anything given the fashion in which they post.

Or maybe I like debating on the internet.

Or maybe I like stating my opinion.

Or maybe I'm bored and have time to spare this evening.

Take your pick, any of the above, or combination, or others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2012, 23:34.

73. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 22:24 Sepharo

Why would you bother?  

72. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 22:11 Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 17:10:
Dev wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:32:
LOL, have you ever bothered to see what those companies do that's different? How EA has screwed over gamers (PC gamers especially)...
1) LOL, they have? Like when, where and how? If there is something you don't like what they do you can always vote with your wallet, ya know?!
...and its own employees...
2) LOL, you referring to that never confirmed letter of that fat, lazy fuck who was pretending to be an EA spouse?
... and studios it buys out for a very long time?
3) LOL, if it wouldn't be for greedy fucks like Garriott or Molyneux EA wouldn't have bought them out. The problem is the sellouts with zero integrity and not the buyouts.
The biggest difference someone should see instantly even with no idea of the history or the products is that all those others have stockholders. Valve isn't publicly traded.
4) LOL, and? Ah I know. You're one of those commie cunts who automatically thinks that stock-based corp = devil's offspring. Right. Gotcha.
And if someone has bothered to read even a single valve interview, its also the only company in that list that has a flat management (aka none) structure.
5) LOL, yep, one can tell that they have no management. Like where the fuck is HL 3 or Ep 3? Mismanagement at its finest.
Steam has been a HUGE benefit for PC gamers
6) LOL, yeah, if you enjoy being fucked in the ass that is. What a great benefit this buggy (esp in the early days) piece of shit is. And the great integrated DRM. Yummy. And the inability to resell. Man, I can't hold it any longer... I'm gonna cum! :o
and in the last few years has been a big contributor to a welcome resurgence in indie gaming.
7) LOL, finally! Finally something I can agree with. Though I really don't give a fuck about indie gaming so on a personal level I could still do very well without Valve and Steam.
[spacing adjusted and numbers added before each LOL to make it clear what I'm responding to]

1) Its been documented before, feel free to look around. Blue's has tons of news bits on things EA has done to customers, EA screws people continually. For instance, a recent example is dragon age 2 and how they pushed a rushed piece of crap out the door. Or how EA likes to ban people from their entire game library if they decide they don't like a post on their forums, and then promises it was a mistake but then goes and does it again, multiple times. Or how about how EA shuts down multiplayer servers as little as a year after a game is out, after making MS let them do their own servers so they could offer "improved service." All too often the servers they are shutting down are from the previous version of the game (like shutdown servers for a 2011 sports game when they release the 2012 version) since they are pushing people to upgrade. They do this to PC games too. They have a webpage that lists a bunch of them. Or that EA says if you don't use your account after a couple years they WILL (not may but WILL) remove your stuff from your account.
I still remember when the community did extensive debugging, research, and assembly analysis to find a multicore bug in one of the need for speed games (dual core CPU's at the time had issues with this game, I believe the game just wouldn't work period with any CPU that wasn't a single core). They even gave EA the overview of the code changes needed to fix the bug. Basically they did 95% of the work needed to find and fix the bug. EA said, yeah thanks guys, we will put it into our NEXT nfs game which you can pay $60 for the multicore fix, until then screw you, no patches for you.
BTW, I do vote with my wallet. Its been a while since I last bought an EA game. Oh and those are just a few examples off the top of my head. If I did a few minutes of searching I could probably find a dozen more.

2) No, more like I'm referring to those class action lawsuits from EA employees vs EA. Those ones that cost EA over $30 million. I have no idea what letter you are talking about.

3) I'm not talking about molyneux and garriott. I'm talking Westwood studios, bullfrog, Origins, and more. Again, just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could find other examples if I searched.

4) Nope, where the frack did I say that? Have you bothered to read any of my previous posts? I've criticized valve's flat structure before. Yes it has a number of advantages for creativity, but one thing its missing is no authoritative person/group to call a feature lock and ship something. Also, since everyone is free to work on a project at will, not many things ever get finished enough to ship. If I thought communism was the answer, I wouldn't be living in USA

5) And thats one point on which I agree with you on. Certainly the only point in this post, possibly the only one ever.

6) It sure is convenient for me. I don't have to deal with cd keys constantly now, and swapping disks. I have multiple bookshelves full of retail PC game boxes, and I much prefer my steam account with 500+ games on it than 500 game boxes in more bookshelves.

7) Ok, you only like titles from large companies like EA/Actiblizz which are mostly clones, and not anything with interesting and innovative gameplay. Got it. Hey, it takes all types. And even if someone hates steam but wants to play indie titles, its still possible to get them from things like Desura or directly from an individual indie company.

Between your post and that other guy, its been amusing. You posted a bunch of obviously totally clueless and ignorant things (implying that EA is so lily white that I would have a hard time finding any examples of them screwing someone, or that you didn't have a clue about class action lawsuits against EA by their employees). And the other guy posted such obvious mischaracterizations of my opinions on valve that he obviously doesn't read much here.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2012, 22:30.

71. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 21:57 Prez

eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 20:25:
Prez wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 19:12:
eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:43:

So tell me, how does Gabe's cock taste? How are you able to find it under all those rolls of fat?

This is why I hate anonymity on the internet. If running your mouth so obnoxiously ran the risk of getting your teeth mashed in, people wouldn't be such goddammed douches all the time.

Ah, yes, internet bravado. It's almost as bad a phenomenon as internet anonymity.

Ha, nice try, but no. It isn't bravado to point out it's easy to talk shit when there's no risk for doing so. Or hoping that somehow you eventually get the ass-kicking you need.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

70. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 21:52 Dev

eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:41:
So tell me, how does Gabe's cock taste? How are you able to find it under all those rolls of fat?
Do you even bother to read any posts here? I'm a frequent critic of things about valve I don't like. Like their lying and breaking promises about L4D1 support.

69. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 21:40 reisub

ASeven wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 21:28:
Interesting. If this turns out to be true it should be interesting to see what happens. Interesting times ahead.
Interesting post.

If it also made a decent HTPC I'd consider it.

68. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 21:28 ASeven

Interesting. If this turns out to be true it should be interesting to see what happens. Interesting times ahead.  

67. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 21:25 AnointedSword

I find it funny that people are calling Gabe lazy just because he is fat. I mean... he only runs a multimillion dollar company. With that said, he could work out more...

I also find it fascinating that there is so much hostility towards him. It could be from jealousy or maybe envy? Really people, the only person that can make your life better is YOU! Yes, I said YOU!

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

66. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 20:41 [VG]Reagle

Icewind wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 20:39:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 20:08:
Anyone who thinks that Steam hasn't been a tremendous boon to the PC gaming market is either blind or intentionally dense. Since Steam was created, we've seen huge growth in the digital distribution market. Enough that publishers have started paying attention to PC gaming again. With the retail market shrinking, many games would not have been made if it weren't for digital distribution. This applies to both indie and big-budget games.

Honestly, the best post I've seen on this site in the decade+ I've been here.

Gabe when is HL3 coming out?

As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

65. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 20:39 Icewind

Jerykk wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 20:08:
Anyone who thinks that Steam hasn't been a tremendous boon to the PC gaming market is either blind or intentionally dense. Since Steam was created, we've seen huge growth in the digital distribution market. Enough that publishers have started paying attention to PC gaming again. With the retail market shrinking, many games would not have been made if it weren't for digital distribution. This applies to both indie and big-budget games.

Honestly, the best post I've seen on this site in the decade+ I've been here.

64. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 20:25 eunichron

Prez wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 19:12:
eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:43:

This is why I hate anonymity on the internet. If running your mouth so obnoxiously ran the risk of getting your teeth mashed in, people wouldn't be such goddammed douches all the time.

Ah, yes, internet bravado. It's almost as bad a phenomenon as internet anonymity.

63. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 20:18 ^Drag0n^

I actually think this is brilliant, in a way: for practically ZERO investment, you can drop a huge library of *PC* games on the TV.

For what an xBox costs right now, you could have a more than compitent mid-grade PC hooked up to a TV.

Honestly? Done right, this could be the second salvo in the battle to keep the PC relevant.

Not a bad thing at all.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

62. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 20:13 zirik

i wonder if its gonna be another delivery system like that onlive gaming service. cloud gaming.  

61. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 20:08 Jerykk

60. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 20:06 zirik

Krovven wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:49:
You don't build for now, you build for the future.

i gave up building for the future based on software requirements especially video games. i always end up upgrading something in order to maximize performance. and if im having to upgrade a component then its not future proof.

truth of the matter is by the time any game uses 8GB of ram we would be needing faster hard drives, video cards, processors and loading new operating systems. it would make building for the future pointless.

139 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo