Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Hardware Plans?

A post on The Verge follows up on recent comments by Valve's Gabe Newell about the possibility of Steam hardware by saying this is exactly what Valve is working on, and a reveal may come as early as next week at San Francisco's Game Developer's Conference (thanks Kotaku).

The article cites unnamed "sources" who say Valve is working with various hardware vendors on a "Steam Box," which sounds more exotic than "Windows PC," which is what this seems like, as word is: "Apparently meetings were held during CES to demo a hand-built version of the device to potential partners. We're told that the basic specs of the Steam Box include a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU. The devices will be able to run any standard PC titles, and will also allow for rival gaming services (like EA's Origin) to be loaded up." They note a couple of possibilities that may make this more distinctive than a hardware specification, speculating it may include a proprietary controller, a biometric feedback device, and could take better advantage of Steam's "big picture mode."

This all still speculation at this point, as Valve has not responded to their request for comment.

View
139 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

59. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 20:04 Cutter

If you don't know the difference between someone like Valve and EA/Activision/Ubisoft you don't belong on this site, much less EVER call yourself a gamer.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 20:03 Lorcin

You lot forget to take your ritalin tonight or something? Chill out for gods sake - nothings confirmed atm yet your all getting worked up just on speculation.

Why don't you wait and see A) if Valve are really doing hardware and B) what the specs/price/unique features are.

Then if you don't like them by all means start sounding off but until then STFU.

57. removed Mar 3, 2012, 19:40 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 4, 2012, 09:19.

56. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 19:30 ^Drag0n^

Krovven wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:52:
eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:41:
So tell me, how does Gabe's cock taste? How are you able to find it under all those rolls of fat?

Maybe you should look at Dev's post history before flapping your yap.

No kidding. Blue may need to start passing out rolls of TP, so some of these guys can wipe the brown stuff off their mouths.

Kinda sad.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

55. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 19:21 DG

eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 15:59:
[And how exactly is Valve different than MS/EA/Actiblizz/Sony?
They're listed companies whereas Valve is owner-managed.

I could go on about Valve having a relatively customer-focused strategy, listed company quarterly financials and so on, and so on.

54. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 19:14 ^Drag0n^

Prez wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 19:12:
eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:43:

So tell me, how does Gabe's cock taste? How are you able to find it under all those rolls of fat?

This is why I hate anonymity on the internet. If running your mouth so obnoxiously ran the risk of getting your teeth mashed in, people wouldn't be such goddammed douches all the time.

Amen, brother.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

53. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 19:12 Prez

eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:43:

This is why I hate anonymity on the internet. If running your mouth so obnoxiously ran the risk of getting your teeth mashed in, people wouldn't be such goddammed douches all the time.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

52. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 19:06 peteham

Who knows, maybe certain big companies will start to see how increasingly expensive it's going to be to transition in and out of new console generations moving forward; and the hassles of attempting to bring the customer base over to their new flagship every few years.. A return to the good old constantly changing PC model, anyone?

A somewhat standardized "PC" with excellent driver support and testing, while still maintaining today's support for diverse hardware, could be a great thing.

51. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 19:03 Dades

eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:56:
Valve makes their money riding the coattails of talented indie developers and modders. How is that different at all from what MS and EA do?

You are clearly trolling, not even giving your own thoughts a moments consideration before spewing them. Even if that was all Valve did (and it isn't), that differs greatly from what Microsoft and EA do.

50. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 18:18 Hump

Rhett wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 17:22:
... Back on topic, with less rage:

I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. This is kind of what console gamers need, to get out of that buy-god-awful-shit-at-$60-and-be-thankful rut. Put 'em through one good Steam sale, and they'll see.

spouting rational and well thought out dialogue on Blues comments is prohibited. Change your ways or suffer the consequences.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

49. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 17:22 Rhett

... Back on topic, with less rage:

I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. This is kind of what console gamers need, to get out of that buy-god-awful-shit-at-$60-and-be-thankful rut. Put 'em through one good Steam sale, and they'll see.

48. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 17:14 [VG]Reagle

Krovven wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:52:
Slurp it down ->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6yRpQrsaY&feature=related

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

47. removed Mar 3, 2012, 17:10 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 4, 2012, 09:20.

46. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 16:56 eunichron

Dades wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:49:
They both are companies that want to make money but how they go about doing it is what matters.

Valve makes their money riding the coattails of talented indie developers and modders. How is that different at all from what MS and EA do?

45. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 16:52 Krovven

Maybe you should look at Dev's post history before flapping your yap.

44. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 16:49 Dades

Dev wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 15:47:
You are confusing valve with MS/EA/actiblizz/sony.

And how exactly is Valve different than MS/EA/Actiblizz/Sony?

Oh, right, they aren't.

Actually, Valve has better PR. That's about the only difference I can see.

They aren't even remotely comparable and your bias is far more apparent than his. They are only the same if we ignore the long running history of both companies actions and that comparison would be flawed at best.

They both are companies that want to make money but how they go about doing it is what matters.

43. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 16:49 Krovven

Overon wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:08:
killer_roach wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 15:03:
Overon wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 14:41:
8 GB of RAM? Is the entire game supposed to fit into RAM?

Less RAM than my desktop... and besides, RAM is cheap.
This isn't meant as fighting words but "so what?"
What programs do you have to run simultaneously in a gaming computer do take advantage of 8 MB of RAM?

You don't build for now, you build for the future.

42. removed Mar 3, 2012, 16:41 eunichron

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 4, 2012, 09:20.

41. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 16:35 TheEmissary

[VG]Reagle wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:32:
TheEmissary wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:23:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:11:
Guys this ain't a steam branded PC. Its a box that only suports steam or other types of game software. In other words its a PC powered console. Probably connect to TVs and you can play any steam game you want.

The fancy controllers are needed for one reason. To replace the mouse.

I wouldn't read much in to the controllers. On a PC you can use what ever controller you want if the game supports it. Portal 2's DLC supports a Razer's Hydra motion controller. I see the controller as optional just like the controller is optional for onLive.

There are only two options available to Valve if they want to support the back-catalog of games being a custom install of Windows or Linux+Wine. Given they said they are going to support legacy games and competitor software I'am leaning more towards a full windows install.

They could try the Wine route but that would be support nightmare considering hardly any games run flawlessly (Gold+/Platinum Level) on that and not mention the DRM issues. It would be easier to just build a branded machine to support their catalog of games. Also on Wine you just lost supporting DX10/DX11 games.

I think your missing the point. Admittedly its a guess on my part. But I don't think this "hardware" is a PC at all. The number 1 problem that steam itself has is access to the console market. So this is their solution...they are going to make a console that makes PC games playable on the TV. This solves many problems and unites once and for all the games markets.

It is not hard at all to make a standard PC look and feel like a set-top box. Case in point look at any HTPC or Media Center PCs. It all comes down to the software they plan on using.

40. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 16:32 Dev

Dev wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 15:47:
You are confusing valve with MS/EA/actiblizz/sony.

And how exactly is Valve different than MS/EA/Actiblizz/Sony?

Oh, right, they aren't.

Actually, Valve has better PR. That's about the only difference I can see.
LOL, have you ever bothered to see what those companies do that's different? How EA has screwed over gamers (PC gamers especially) and its own employees, and studios it buys out for a very long time?

The biggest difference someone should see instantly even with no idea of the history or the products is that all those others have stockholders. Valve isn't publicly traded. And if someone has bothered to read even a single valve interview, its also the only company in that list that has a flat management (aka none) structure.

Steam has been a HUGE benefit for PC gamers, and in the last few years has been a big contributor to a welcome resurgence in indie gaming.

139 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo