Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: windows 8 Mar 3, 2012, 09:35 wtf_man

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 22:18:
There's got to be a way. Maybe they just disabled it in this build, to keep people's attention on Metro.

MS completely REMOVED the menu in the consumer preview build. There is a taskbar hack to get an ugly "basic" menu back... or you have to use a 3rd party menu like viStart.

Disable Metro

Even then... I don't see how those instructions Disable Metro... I only seen adding a menu back.

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 23:17:
Their bread and butter is business, and I'd be shocked if they think they're going to force metro on that.

While I would normally agree... However, MS is focusing on a Metro app store, to try to make shitloads of cash like Apple. The only way they can do it it to Ram Metro down people's throats. MS has often forced things... and the complete removal of the start menu in this latest preview build does not bode well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 3, 2012, 03:53 RenownWolf

Don't remember where I got this put I put it in a txt file. Hope it helps.

Windows key brings up the Metro start screen. You can start typing to search for an app, just like the Win7 start menu.
Win + D brings up the old Windows desktop.
Win + C brings up the Charms menu, where you can search, share, and change settings.
Win + I opens the Settings panel, where you can change settings for the current app, change volume, wireless networks, shut down, or adjust the brightness.
Win + Z opens the App Bar for the current Metro application.
Win + H opens the Metro Share panel.
Win + Q brings up the Metro App Search screen.
Win + W brings up the Metro Settings search screen.
Win + F brings up the Metro File search screen.
Win + K opens the Devices panel (for connecting to a projector or some other device)
Win + , (comma) Aero Peek at the desktop.
Win + . (period) Snaps the current Metro application to one side of the screen. (Right side)
Win + Shift + . (period) Snaps the current Metro application to the other side of the screen. (Left side)
Win + J switches focus between snapped Metro applications.
Win + Page Up / Down moves the current app to the other monitor.
Win + Tab opens the Metro application switcher menu, switches between applications.

http://www.renownwolf.com

6. Re: windows 8 Mar 3, 2012, 02:34 xXBatmanXx

In Win8 it's their metro ui or nothing apparently.

There's got to be a way. Maybe they just disabled it in this build, to keep people's attention on Metro.

Having said that, I'm firmly in the "Who gives a fuck about 8?" camp.

heh. I am always last to the party for OS'. My laptop has 7, and I instantly installed the XP shell someone here pointed me to. I have since installed it on A LOT of machines that I support at the request of the clients.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: windows 8 Mar 2, 2012, 23:17 nin

That being said, without Metro, Win8 is really just Win7 SP2. If it turns out that there is no SKU that allows you to disable Metro, I'll be keeping my Win7 disk around for a long time. If they in some way end up sabotaging 7 to force people into 8 and Metro, fuck it, I'll finally switch to Apple.

Their bread and butter is business, and I'd be shocked if they think they're going to force metro on that.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: windows 8 Mar 2, 2012, 22:23 eunichron

There was a registry hack that completely disabled Metro and brought back the Win7 Start menu in the previous developer preview, but the particular registry setting is completely missing in this version.

That being said, without Metro, Win8 is really just Win7 SP2. If it turns out that there is no SKU that allows you to disable Metro, I'll be keeping my Win7 disk around for a long time. If they in some way end up sabotaging 7 to force people into 8 and Metro, fuck it, I'll finally switch to Apple.

3. Re: windows 8 Mar 2, 2012, 22:18 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: windows 8 Mar 2, 2012, 21:37 Shok

From the Windows 8-Ball Consumer Preview article:

In its current form, I feel Windows 8 is woefully inadequate for desktop power users.

That about sums it up for my experience with Windows 8 as well. I just installed it on an old laptop to see what it was like and it's a joke. There is no option to boot to desktop mode. Windows XP let you go back to the older 98/2k windows theme (although I never did). In Win8 it's their metro ui or nothing apparently.

Windows 8 feels like a console version of an operating system.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 2, 2012, 21:29 eunichron

I installed the Win8 preview on one of my laptops... overall, as a desktop OS, it was absolutely terrible. Completely unintuitive, any advanced settings, of which there are few, are hidden deep behind Metro's tiles and walls. The new software "apps" (the replacements for WMP) have few, if any, options (I was not able to add music/movies from my NAS to the library).

Now, without Metro, in the regular desktop setting, it wasn't that bad. I like that they've gone back to squared edges, rather than making everything rounded and "Web 2.0"-ish. The new Task Manager is frankly AWESOME, there is much more information displayed, and its new layout makes it quite a bit easier to read and interpret. Other than Metro it's basically the same as Win7. After a day I haven't had any crashes or any compatibility issues (the one issue I did have was with my NAS, I could map it was a network drive using my NAS's administrator password rather than the user account that I had setup).

As of now I would say it's a great OS for tablets and smartphones; pretty much anything that doesn't need a desktop environment and has a touchscreen. As a desktop OS, the absolute only way I'd consider upgrading is if they offer an SKU with the ability to disable Metro and use the classic Start menu.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo