Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

id on DOOM 4 Images

While neither confirming nor denying the authenticity of the recent batch of screenshots purportedly from DOOM 4, id Software's Matthew Hooper took to Twitter to say that these are not representative of the game, saying: "Those images have nothing to do with what you're gonna see in Doom4. When we officially show things you'll see awesome." Thanks VG247.

View
92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

32. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 11:15 Sempai

When we see the "awesome" of Doom 4, will this one have an actual ending before the credits roll?

I think Id is better at hyping shit up than they are at making actual games these days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:52 Creston

After Rage, Doom 4 better dress up like an NFL cheerleader and come with free booze for me to be interested.

Creston

30. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:45 Mr. Tact

After Doom 3 (which I bought) and Rage (which I didn't buy) I'll have to hear a lot of praise for Doom 4 before they'll get any of my money.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:40 InBlack

Im just glad he didnt tweet "..you'll see PURE AWESOM33!!!" or something along those lines...  

I have a nifty blue line!

28. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:32 Beamer

Anyone that thinks Romero wasn't sitting there going "how can we make this more awesome" when he made Nazis fall holding their jugular and trying to stem the bleeding in Wolfenstein is an idiot.

Yes, there are things that clearly reek of overtrying, like pretty much anything Paul Steed did, but "awesome" isn't even being used like that here.

Christ that was an oddly nitpicking post.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. I agree... Mar 2, 2012, 10:32 Shataan

"smacks of prepubescence."

Maybe that is the whole problem, cause that is their target market.

26. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:29 InBlack

Yakubs wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 10:18:
I'm so fucking sick of this new obsession in the gaming industry with being "awesome." As a game designer, is that really the height of your ambition? To make some kid look at your game and brofist his boyz, saying, "Yo, that's awesome, dood!"

At least when the gaming industry was obsessed with "immersion" there was ostensibly some portion of that goal that aligns with the concept of making a good game. Making "awesome" your goal is shallow and smacks of prepubescence.

Well said. Also a plus one for mentioning 'brofisting'.

25. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:25 Beamer

Yakubs wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 10:18:
I'm so fucking sick of this new obsession in the gaming industry with being "awesome." As a game designer, is that really the height of your ambition? To make some kid look at your game and brofist his boyz, saying, "Yo, that's awesome, dood!"

At least when the gaming industry was obsessed with "immersion" there was ostensibly some portion of that goal that aligns with the concept of making a good game. Making "awesome" your goal is shallow and smacks of prepubescence.

Zzzzzzz

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:18 Yakubs

23. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:15 KilrathiAce

I hope they stick to pure shooter and violence because when ID tries to make a game with any more to it thats where big fail occurs (ex: rage).  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

22. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:11 pagb

I just want another trip into hell in DooM4. The Hell map in D3 is yet unmatched, so twisted... so... EVIL!  

21. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:08 Dmitri_M

Doom I\II weren't about scares though, they were about a violence and gore, a place filled with grotesque demonic monsters endlessly trying to kill you.

What I want to see out of a new Doom game is giant monsters made out of entrails slobbering towards me on a backdrop of pentagrams and satanic symbols like some ridiculous Slayer music concert throw-back. And there must be humans hanging from chains everywhere screaming in pain. That was Doom.

Doom III want in a different direction. Space sci-fi wannabe horror with very occasional "other worldy" references, all tight spaces and randomly spawning enemies. If they try to take it in that direction again, they'll fail. Dead Space owns the scary sci-fi video game market hands down.

20. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:07 SXO

Quboid wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:52:
SirKnight wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:47:
ItBurn wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:39:
It better not be fuckin' mega textures. Rage's textures look so bad even on max details, it's ridiculous.

Don't blame the tech since you obviously have no idea how it works and why it's needed. Doom 4 WILL use MegaTextures since this is idTech 5 they're using. The problem is not MegaTextures (virtual texturing) but the extreme amount of compression used for the consoles. Virtual texturing is the only and best way to have unique texutring everywhere and higher resolution/texture detail than would otherwise be possible due to hardware constraints. But the consoles screwed that up due to the disk media.

Isn't this problem that MegaTextures need to be compressed heavily on consoles? In that case, and I think this was ItBurn's point, isn't this going to happen again (and again and again until consoles ship with AAG 4GB+ VRAM)?
Exactly, it will be the same story all over again, no doubt about it. Not to mention, id has yet to prove they can offer innovative gameplay.

I finally played Rage on a friend's computer and was bored to tears at how repetitive it felt. It's the same feeling I had when playing Borderlands solo for the 2nd time (mind you I loved that game in coop).

I never even finished Doom 3. I got to the very last area and just stopped because I realized just how bored I was with it. It was just monster closets, monster closets, and a few more monster closets. Doom 1 & 2 could get away with that because it was new and still exciting at the time, plus it had far more interesting level and atmosphere design.

I personally don't think id has made a good game since Quake II, and I'm not sure they know how to anymore. Sure Quake III was fun for MP, but Unreal Tournament had it beat IMO.

19. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:05 pagb

ItBurn wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:43:
I actually liked doom 3 better. I love horror games and atmosphere is one of the most important things for me. Also, I so miss games with dark areas... Seriously, what the hell.
+1

Hell, just finished Alan Wake which is supposed to be a game where Darkness is your enemy. There is not a single "pitch black dark" area in the whole game

18. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:00 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:56:
I actually liked doom 3 better. I love horror games and atmosphere is one of the most important things for me. Also, I so miss games with dark areas... Seriously, what the hell.

Sure Doom3 was cool for about the first half an hour. After that it just didnt seem scary but just very gimmicky. In my opinion it failed both as a horror game and as a proper shooter, since it never did both very well. Just my opinion though, to each his own.

I agree that Doom3 wasn't overly fantastic... but it wasn't as bad as most people rage about.

I think mediocre is a fair description... but for people that expected better than mediocre, they apparently got their cheerios peed in, by id.

As for Doom 4's "awesome"... I will bet that's after the textures pop in.

17. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:00 Drayth

When we officially show things you'll see awesome.

You don't even hit a buttun for it now? Damn consolidized gameplay...

16. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:57 Shataan

True.

DOOM III relied way too much on the dark corner scares.... it got old/cheap real fast. And yes the flashlight battery crap sucked huge ball. But immersionwise, man it scared the crap outta me. Just the whole vibe. I literally didn`t want to keep pushing on.

And I hope DOOM IV has some less confined spaces, as well as some substantial outddoor areas for sure.

15. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:56 InBlack

Sure Doom3 was cool for about the first half an hour. After that it just didnt seem scary but just very gimmicky. In my opinion it failed both as a horror game and as a proper shooter, since it never did both very well. Just my opinion though, to each his own.

14. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:54 Quboid

Shineyguy wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:32:
nin wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:31:

Interesting that there's seemingly no denial there.

Agreed.

I suppose his tweet more points to them being concept art possibly taken in engine?

I'd guess that's about as much a confirmation as he can give. Much of it may be concept art and tech demos but the atmosphere will probably be similar.

- Quboid

13. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:52 kanniballl

I really wasn't a fan of the last Doom.

Too many dark rooms and "jump scares" Eventually most of them became obvious where they would spawn (even on the first run through).

Also, some of the monsters didn't look that great. I know the "flying flaming skulls" are a throw-back to the older games but they looked kind of lame here.

I'm not saying it was bad, I just wasn't "wow'ed" like some other people were.

Personally I had more fun with Quake 4 (which I think used the same engine).

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo