Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

id on DOOM 4 Images

While neither confirming nor denying the authenticity of the recent batch of screenshots purportedly from DOOM 4, id Software's Matthew Hooper took to Twitter to say that these are not representative of the game, saying: "Those images have nothing to do with what you're gonna see in Doom4. When we officially show things you'll see awesome." Thanks VG247.

View
92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

12. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:52 ItBurn

Yes, you guys are anal :p  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:52 Quboid

SirKnight wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:47:
ItBurn wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:39:
It better not be fuckin' mega textures. Rage's textures look so bad even on max details, it's ridiculous.

Don't blame the tech since you obviously have no idea how it works and why it's needed. Doom 4 WILL use MegaTextures since this is idTech 5 they're using. The problem is not MegaTextures (virtual texturing) but the extreme amount of compression used for the consoles. Virtual texturing is the only and best way to have unique texutring everywhere and higher resolution/texture detail than would otherwise be possible due to hardware constraints. But the consoles screwed that up due to the disk media.

Isn't this problem that MegaTextures need to be compressed heavily on consoles? In that case, and I think this was ItBurn's point, isn't this going to happen again (and again and again until consoles ship with AAG 4GB+ VRAM)?

- Quboid

10. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:50 Shataan

" higher resolution/texture detail " tradeoff....

high rez from a distance, looks like ass upclose. So great for the sightseer, but not so good in a close up enviro.

Whatever. I just hope DOOM IV is more like DOOM III, than RAGE.... as far as actual gameplay is concerned.

"the best they could do with current gen hardware"

Don`t you mean the best they could do with the current gen consoles?

9. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:50 ItBurn

Jesus christ, calm down. Yes, you're right, the idea of mega textures isn't impossible. From what I understood tho, Rage is the best they could do with current gen hardware, so, in a way, I do have a right to say that mega textures are a bad idea for doom 4.  

8. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:47 SirKnight

ItBurn wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:39:
It better not be fuckin' mega textures. Rage's textures look so bad even on max details, it's ridiculous.

Don't blame the tech since you obviously have no idea how it works and why it's needed. Doom 4 WILL use MegaTextures since this is idTech 5 they're using. The problem is not MegaTextures (virtual texturing) but the extreme amount of compression used for the consoles. Virtual texturing is the only and best way to have unique texutring everywhere and higher resolution/texture detail than would otherwise be possible due to hardware constraints. But the consoles screwed that up due to the disk media.

7. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:43 ItBurn

I actually liked doom 3 better. I love horror games and atmosphere is one of the most important things for me. Also, I so miss games with dark areas... Seriously, what the hell.  

6. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:42 descender

THe megatextures look bad? No they don't.

The areas with bad low resolution textures look bad, and for that there is no excuse.

5. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:42 InBlack

Lets hope we see something sooner rather than later. Im a sucker for all things Doom, I just hope Doom4 is more akin to Doom2 than to Doom3.  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:39 ItBurn

3. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:36 nin

Yeah, I can't get too upset about concept art, and didn't really see what all the fuss is about. It may suck, or it may be awesome, but id knows that doom = monsters, and I'll reserve judgement until we get a look at those and the gameplay.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:32 Shineyguy

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:31:

Interesting that there's seemingly no denial there.

Agreed.

I suppose his tweet more points to them being concept art possibly taken in engine?

1. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 09:31 nin

Interesting that there's seemingly no denial there.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo