Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Birthday Theodor Seuss Geisel, as the author more famously known as Dr. Seuss would have been 108 years old today. This occasion is marked by today being NEA's Read Across America Day, which seems a pretty worthy cause.

Worthy Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Awaken: Front Line.
Links: 2012 TV Premiere Dates.
Stories: The Netherlands: Hashish Cannabis Sale Set To Be Banned.
Classificatory Systems Are For the Dogs!
Cats: What People Think I Do vs. What I Really Do.
Media: Mashup of The Smiths and "Video Games".
Freddie W: Pedestrian Revenge.
Despicable Me 2 Trailer. Thanks nin.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2012, 08:53 TurdFergasun

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 03:29:
Sry Turd, I don't feed trolls....

if by not feeding trolls you mean, you do not think for yourself, then i'd fully agree with you. i wouldn't worry if i were you though, you're not alone in any way, in fact i'd say you're in the majority.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2012, 04:08 Jonny

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 23:35:
Our Drug Task Force is self funded via confiscations, etc. There are a lot of departments that went to this model.

Doing nothing and legalizing drugs is not the answer.

That's still your money that the criminal organisations have drained out of the economy in the first place. Taking back a tiny percentage of the money that otherwise would be legitimately circulating does not make them self funded.

The War on Drugs has been going for 40 years. In that time drug use and ease of access has gone up alongside drug related violence. You might as well just make the damn things legal, then they can be controlled, quality assured and taxed. You also then pull the rug out from under the criminal organisations making billions per year in this industry.

There's even a precedent for it, during Prohibition era America the booze gangs made more money than the US government and they were ruined overnight just by making booze legal again.

If a demand exists for a product, then suppliers will fill that demand no matter what the government thinks about it. All making it illegal does is put the whole industry in the hands of people who have no qualms about breaking the law.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2012, 03:29 xXBatmanXx

Sry Turd, I don't feed trolls....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2012, 01:00 TurdFergasun

lol it's not self funded in any way, other than yourselves are the ones funding it. legalising is the only way, same way it solved the violence from whiskey prohibition. but hell if you want another capone on your hands, who am i to argue.

it's not about solving the problem of drug abuse, it's about solving the violence, brought on from gangs, and your governments ineptitude and arrogance in dealing with the problem, hopefully reducing the police footprint so you can stop being a massively over hyped and paranoid police state. who's to say though "staying the course" could work, your country seems to be doing so well lately, and your reputation as world renown problem solvers has clearly spread like herpes in a brothel.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2012, 01:05.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 23:35 xXBatmanXx

Jonny wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 20:03:
What I love about the Netherlands article are these two paragraphs next to each other:

Another of those backing a ban, Christian Democrat legislator Coskun Coruz, said he hoped the ban would reduce consumption.

Studies show marijuana use in the Netherlands is roughly half that of the United States, where it is illegal.

I wonder just how many trillions of dollars America and Europe have lost during the "War on Drugs" whether directly syphoned from the economy into criminal gangs, spent on enforcement and lost through habit funding crimes or indirectly through lost potential taxation.

But, hey, at least they've succeeded in making sure illegal drugs aren't readily available everywhere in the western world, right? Rolleyes

Our Drug Task Force is self funded via confiscations, etc. There are a lot of departments that went to this model.

Doing nothing and legalizing drugs is not the answer.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 22:15 nin

I'm simply excited about the setting at this point.

I agree, the new setting does sound interesting. Having said that, I've not made it through any of the AC games from beginning to end yet, as I keep losing interest. Maybe this one will stick.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 20:06 Sepharo

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed that the garb wasn't just for some clever box art or teaser. And not really a fan of those screenshots showing him creeping through the snowy woods and the mentions of battleground settings. Wonder if they're trying to go after the Skyrim crowd. I would have been fine spending the whole game in the cities.

Keep in mind I haven't played any of the series so I'm simply excited about the setting at this point.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 20:03 Jonny

What I love about the Netherlands article are these two paragraphs next to each other:

Another of those backing a ban, Christian Democrat legislator Coskun Coruz, said he hoped the ban would reduce consumption.

Studies show marijuana use in the Netherlands is roughly half that of the United States, where it is illegal.

I wonder just how many trillions of dollars America and Europe have lost during the "War on Drugs" whether directly syphoned from the economy into criminal gangs, spent on enforcement and lost through habit funding crimes or indirectly through lost potential taxation.

But, hey, at least they've succeeded in making sure illegal drugs aren't readily available everywhere in the western world, right? Rolleyes

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 19:56 Cutter

No, you were not wrong, sir. It's still a weird setting and the assassins outfit really doesn't jibe in colonial America even with the native touches. And how the hell does a white man raised by natives - cliche much? - find out, much less get the assassin training and outfit?! Sounds like they're really reaching here, but it should be interesting to see some of the key places and historical events of that period. I can already see him setting off the Boston Tea party.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 19:46 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 17:19:
Holy poop details and screenshots of AC3 up at Shacknews!

I guess I wasn't wrong when I linked depictions of Boston and New York in 1776 and even the New York fire.

The game is set between 1753 and 1783, centered in Boston and New York. The map size is roughly 1.5 times that of Brotherhood. Ubisoft wants to explore visiting not just historical buildings, but actual historical events like the New York fires or Washington's occupation at Valley Forge.

edit: err... crap there's a post for this already

edit2: err that's some other details than the Shack ones I guess.

19. Re: The Netherlands: Hashish Cannabis Sale Set To Be Banned Mar 2, 2012, 18:35 Cutter

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 18:17:
How is this a "conservatives are idiots" issue? I'm a fiscal conservative, I'd have no issue with legalizing pot in the US, the money they would make on taxing the sale of it would be astronomical. It would be a far more effective way to reduce the US deficit than to try and tax those that already pay more than everyone else when it comes to taxes, that and reducing the out of control spending to begin with that BOTH sides do.

I don't see liberals jumping to legalize drugs in the US.

Um...

A) If you're a fiscal conservative you should be a democrat.

B) Most of the left has been trying to decriminalize and/or legalize many drugs for decades now.

C) Ultra-conservatives, by and large, are idiots. There are always and only 2 types of ultra-conservatives. The rich - there are those pyshcopaths - and the stupid. And most of them aren't rich.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 18:30 Cutter

Holy shitsnacks! Have you seen this Skyrim mod?!?!

Moonpaths: Journey to Elsweyr!!!

Effing awesome!

17. Re: The Netherlands: Hashish Cannabis Sale Set To Be Banned Mar 2, 2012, 18:17 RollinThundr

InBlack wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 10:37:
Quboid wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 10:02:
The Netherlands moved to ban the sale of potent hashish cannabis on Thursday, eroding 40 years of liberal drug policy, over fears that the proceeds were flowing to organised crime gangs.

... thereby ensuring that the proceeds flow to organised crime gangs.

Drug laws subsidise organised crime.

Exactly, and frankly Im really having a hard time believing that all those conservatives are clueless to this hard fact.

If anything arab sumgglers (a big problem in the Netherlands) are going to be making an even bigger profit once the drugs become illegal. It will be just as hard to smuggle them in, but now their price is going to be inflated beyond all belief.

Unless you believe that simply making the drugs illegal (to hold)will somehow magically make them harder to smuggle into the country. (Already an illegal act)

How is this a "conservatives are idiots" issue? I'm a fiscal conservative, I'd have no issue with legalizing pot in the US, the money they would make on taxing the sale of it would be astronomical. It would be a far more effective way to reduce the US deficit than to try and tax those that already pay more than everyone else when it comes to taxes, that and reducing the out of control spending to begin with that BOTH sides do.

I don't see liberals jumping to legalize drugs in the US.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 17:19 Cutter

Holy poop details and screenshots of AC3 up at Shacknews!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 16:03 jdreyer

eunichron wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 14:47:
Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 14:03:
One out of every 10 Wall Street employees is likely a clinical psychopath

"Some psychologists have long claimed that the qualities that make for a high-achieving politician or stockbroker are also the same traits that psychopaths have in abundance.

Other researchers generalize it to bosses as a species, saying that about 4 percent of all executives are psychopaths -- and that their relative lack of scruples is what helps them excel in business."

Not news, but always good to see numbers updated. Question is, should these psychopaths be permitted to hold the positions they do? At the very least they should be outed so people can make a more informed choice.

Oh boy, there are so many things wrong with the language in that article.

So, according to census, there are 328,200 CEOs in the US. 4% of that, 13,128. So, 13,128 people might have the some of the same traits that psychopaths. Of course, the two traits listed are "competitiveness" and "attraction to risk."

Include a list of the negative traits of a clinical psychopath, never actually attribute them factually to the traits of a stockbroker or CEO, and top it off with a picture of Patrick Bateman (everyone's favorite Huey Lewis And The News serial killer). Sensationalist/suggestive journalism at it's finest.

So, the only "truth" in that article is that there are 13,128 businessmen out there who became successful because they are competitive and are willing to take risks.

There was also this study released recently that showed merely being rich reduced your ability to empathize with the needs and problems of others, which is one of the hallmarks of psychopathy. So the questions are, how much of it is genetic, how much of it is environmental, and how much does the environment affect/exacerbate the genetic disposition?

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 15:57 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 15:37:
They're rewarded for this detrimental behaviour which is both wrong and dangerous. Hell, how you think these boom, bust, echo cycles and bailouts keep occuring?
That I will agree with. They're rewarded by outlandish salaries and bonuses, and government sponsored corporate welfare that keeps them and their companies afloat. I've never disagreed that the system is broken and needs an overhaul, but I do disagree with the article's suggestive claim that CEOs are psychopaths and thus have a negative impact on their companies. I think that is a bit of a stretch.

Also, didn't see this posted here, but the latest version of Doom, The Roguelike has been released, it finally has graphics! http://doom.chaosforge.org/

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 15:37 Cutter

eunichron wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 14:47:

So, according to census, there are 328,200 CEOs in the US. 4% of that, 13,128. So, 13,128 people might have the some of the same traits that psychopaths. Of course, the two traits listed are "competitiveness" and "attraction to risk."

Include a list of the negative traits of a clinical psychopath, never actually attribute them factually to the traits of a stockbroker or CEO, and top it off with a picture of Patrick Bateman (everyone's favorite Huey Lewis And The News serial killer). Sensationalist/suggestive journalism at it's finest.

So, the only "truth" in that article is that there are 13,128 businessmen out there who became successful because they are competitive and are willing to take risks.

No, they are by definition clinical psyho/sociopaths. Not all psychopaths are violent, and in fact it's only a very small minority that are. The general estimate is that about 10% of the species are psychopathic due to a combination of bad genetics and environmental upbringing. There was a big bruhaha about this over a decade ago when it was The Economist or Forbes - can't recall which now - publised a major university study citing that a large percentage of Fortune 1000 CEOs not only had psychopathic tendancies, but were in fact clinical psychopaths. And when you look what that behaviour entails it certainly makes sense. So it begs the question are these the sort of people that should be at the head of the economy when they're very behaviour is a detriment to it. They're rewarded for this detrimental behaviour which is both wrong and dangerous. Hell, how you think these boom, bust, echo cycles and bailouts keep occuring?

12. Re: The Netherlands: Hashish Cannabis Sale Set To Be Banned Mar 2, 2012, 15:04 Yosemite Sam

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 11:22:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mccFsim-RRQ

Appropriate video link for the day celebrating Seuss's birth.

3rd Rock and Seuss, nice. Course the good Dr is probably rolling in his grave right now...

This cashtaculous sellout is not quite enough —
I’m demanding more branding of Loraxian stuff!
With what you can buy, boy, the sky is the limit —
A Filet-O-Fish meal with real hummingfish in it!
Filmmakers, get cracking! The market is lacking
a splendiferous Lorax-themed drill made for fracking!
Or the fine, certain something that all people need —
indeed, you’ll succeed if you sold us a Thneed!
They’re easy to make, if you only take
all the truffula tufts off the trees by the lake —
they’re comfy and thick as the thick ironies
of the Lorax and Seuss hawking big SUVs.

from the Colbert report.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 14:47 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 14:03:

"Some psychologists have long claimed that the qualities that make for a high-achieving politician or stockbroker are also the same traits that psychopaths have in abundance.

Other researchers generalize it to bosses as a species, saying that about 4 percent of all executives are psychopaths -- and that their relative lack of scruples is what helps them excel in business."

Not news, but always good to see numbers updated. Question is, should these psychopaths be permitted to hold the positions they do? At the very least they should be outed so people can make a more informed choice.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 14:03 Cutter

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo