Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 3, 2012, 17:11 Ant

Frak W8!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 2, 2012, 17:14 Julio

DG wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 14:09:
So upgrading from W7 appears fairly pointless, but if you're upgrading from XP then might as well go straight to W8.

Or skip W8 entirely, I prefer my PC experience to not be dumbed down. Windows 9 will ship shortly after Windows 8 bombs.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 2, 2012, 14:32 Verno

Ironically the multi-monitor support is worse due to Metro and the inability to drag the taskbar to a screen with the desktop UI running. It has some minor features like improved system restore and VHD/ISO but it's not worth $200-300 or frankly even the time it would take to pirate it.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 2, 2012, 14:09 DG

Far as I can gather W8 is W7 but with reduced memory footprint (not important to gaming rig specs), a UI option for tablets and a few minor bells like better multi-monitor support and being about to mount ISOs without additional software.

So upgrading from W7 appears fairly pointless, but if you're upgrading from XP then might as well go straight to W8.

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 2, 2012, 09:10 wtf_man

jimnms wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 23:28:
Now it's just something I toy with in VirtualBox. I have about half a dozen different distro's installed, but I don't see myself using it as my primary desktop OS any time soon. After all these years, Linux still has a long way to go to be a serious threat in the desktop OS market. When it comes to servers, it would still be my preferred server OS if I were still in that business.

Well... as for *nix... OSX is has been my primary home OS since 2007 (Leopard). I still have a separate Windows box for gaming... and I still dabble with Linux on virtual machines, like you. At work, of course, I work with Windows heavily since I am part of a team that oversees 1600+ PCs and 120+ servers.

So my switch at home to OSX had nothing to do with being an Apple fan... it was because I really liked what I saw in Leopard (We also support a half dozen or so Macs at work). I'm not really caring for the IOS-ification of OSX... but, my point is, OSX looks more poised to get market share, than any linux distro. I think this will hold true even more, for as obnoxious as Windows 8 Metro is on the desktop.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 2, 2012, 09:08 Verno

I just don't need anything in Windows 8 and the shoehorning introduction of Metro is an actual reduction in usability to me so Windows 7 it is. Windows 7 adoption isn't even far enough along for them to be doing this, it's just the usual Microsoft follow-the-leader crap for the mobile market. Microsoft lost, awhile ago and they lost big. Android and iOS are everywhere, WinMo and its 4 predecessors were a joke. At this point R&D should be hard at work on something innovative instead of bare feature parity that no one really desired anyway.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 2, 2012, 03:40 AnointedSword

I tried windows 8 and I believe I will skip it. I will keep windows7  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

4. Re: Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months. Mar 2, 2012, 02:04 Dev

jimnms wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 23:28:
Windows 7 will be the next XP and Windows 8 will be remembered along with Me and Vista.
Except XP was the king for a number of years, 7 was basically the good version of Vista, kinda like what you might get with a service pack back in the day. And 7 hasn't been around very long, especially compared to XP. A lot of people skipped directly from XP to 7 and didn't bother with Vista.

And with 8, MS is redesigning to be like a tablet/phone OS, they are still calling it Windows, but I don't see more than 1 window. One main reason why tablets/phones do that is because they can't handle more than 1 at once, they were designed to innovate around the limitations, and now MS wants to take it backwards to match those limitations rather than innovating forward. Another thing, I end up with a huge programs list on my PC after running a few years, it would be very inconvenient to have to have them all as giant tiles where I scroll through a hundred tiles to get to something I want. I have a large enough screen I do NOT want everything maximized! Thats WTF windows are for. And what about 2 monitors? There's a reason why I prefer PC instead of console, and I'm not going to stand in line to reduce my PC experience to match a lowest common denominator.

Anyway just some thoughts, not necessarily addressed to you, but stuff I think about windows 8 in general.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2012, 12:40.

3. Re: Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months. Mar 1, 2012, 23:28 jimnms

wtf_man wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 22:59:
After Windows 8... it just might be!

Windows 7 will be the next XP and Windows 8 will be remembered along with Me and Vista.

I used to be into Linux back when you pretty much had to download and compile everything yourself, none of this fancy repository stuff (fuck that makes me sound old). FreeBSD was actually the first *NIX OS I toyed with. I let it download all night on my 28.8Kbps dialup connection. Next was RedHat 2.something. I read a few books, and learned on my own UNIX/Linux, the vi editor and BASH scripting. Then I got a boxed copy of RedHat 3 at a computer conference. I still have it, it's really nice and comes with a big thick manual. With no formal training I landed a job at a local ISP using Linux, then later went to work for another ISP migrating their servers from expensive Solaris machines to Linux, and then on to installing networks and Linux servers for local businesses.

Now it's just something I toy with in VirtualBox. I have about half a dozen different distro's installed, but I don't see myself using it as my primary desktop OS any time soon. After all these years, Linux still has a long way to go to be a serious threat in the desktop OS market. When it comes to servers, it would still be my preferred server OS if I were still in that business.

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months. Mar 1, 2012, 22:59 wtf_man

After Windows 8... it just might be!  

1. Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months. Mar 1, 2012, 22:29 Burrito of Peace

Oh, Christ, that is some of the most biased, skewed reporting I've read about Linux in a long time.

Going from sub 1% to a hair over 1% as your "64% growth" isn't even in the same ballpark as Microsoft gaining 34% in terms of actual installed PCs.

I like Linux, I run OpenSUSE as my favorite distro for everything that isn't gaming, but let's not get the fundamentalist neckbeards chanting 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2012 is the Year of the Linux Desktop!

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo