Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
3. Re: Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months. Mar 1, 2012, 23:28 jimnms

wtf_man wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 22:59:
After Windows 8... it just might be!

Windows 7 will be the next XP and Windows 8 will be remembered along with Me and Vista.

I used to be into Linux back when you pretty much had to download and compile everything yourself, none of this fancy repository stuff (fuck that makes me sound old). FreeBSD was actually the first *NIX OS I toyed with. I let it download all night on my 28.8Kbps dialup connection. Next was RedHat 2.something. I read a few books, and learned on my own UNIX/Linux, the vi editor and BASH scripting. Then I got a boxed copy of RedHat 3 at a computer conference. I still have it, it's really nice and comes with a big thick manual. With no formal training I landed a job at a local ISP using Linux, then later went to work for another ISP migrating their servers from expensive Solaris machines to Linux, and then on to installing networks and Linux servers for local businesses.

Now it's just something I toy with in VirtualBox. I have about half a dozen different distro's installed, but I don't see myself using it as my primary desktop OS any time soon. After all these years, Linux still has a long way to go to be a serious threat in the desktop OS market. When it comes to servers, it would still be my preferred server OS if I were still in that business.

Steam Profile
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Mar 1, 22:29 Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months. Burrito of Peace
  2. Mar 1, 22:59  Re: Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months. wtf_man
>> 3. Mar 1, 23:28   Re: Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months. jimnms
  4. Mar 2, 02:04    Re: Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months. Dev
  5. Mar 2, 03:40 Re: Evening Tech Bits AnointedSword
  6. Mar 2, 09:08 Re: Evening Tech Bits Verno
  7. Mar 2, 09:10 Re: Evening Tech Bits wtf_man
  8. Mar 2, 14:09  Re: Evening Tech Bits DG
  10. Mar 2, 17:14   Re: Evening Tech Bits Julio
  9. Mar 2, 14:32 Re: Evening Tech Bits Verno
  11. Mar 3, 17:11 Re: Evening Tech Bits Ant

footer

Blue's News logo