Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sony Server Closures

Sony announces the end of life for online servers for some online games. An EverQuest Online Adventures Farewell letter announces this PS2 MMOG is closing on March 29th, and the closure FAQ explains how billing will end, and promises three month Gold Memberships in both EverQuest and EverQuest II to current subscribers (thanks Massively). Gamasutra follows this up with word on additional closures, saying the following multiplayer servers will also go offline on the 29th: Cosmic Rift, Infantry, and Star Chamber: The Harbinger Saga.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Sony Server Closures Mar 2, 2012, 03:35 Armengar

asherons call was great. Our entire department of 18 people were members of the silver citadel back in the day. None of this instanced crap, jump straight into the olthoi (sp?) horde nest where some enterprising chap had pulled all the soldiers into the portal entrance.

PORTAL TO SUBWAY only to find it went to a revenent spawn room - it paid to remember/ note down your popular coordinates before using that portal. I also remember when money took both huge amounts of backpack space and weight. Cash in an M note? You start paying out like a slot machine and since you are overburdened you cant stop anyone nicking your money.

Ahh those were the days.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Sony Server Closures Mar 1, 2012, 19:31 Cutter

Drezden wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 18:22:
Shut up and give me Planetside 2

America! Fuck yeah! Comin again to save the motherfuckin' day!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: Sony Server Closures Mar 1, 2012, 18:22 Trevellian

Shut up and give me Planetside 2  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

8. Re: UO and AC Mar 1, 2012, 16:17 Jivaro

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 15:50:
I've been struggling with a UO addiction since 97, I have literally "quit the game for good" at least 30 times. I haven't played for over two years, and still feel an almost overwhelming desire to play it. No MMO will even come close, ever again.

Asheron's Call is still going as well.

I have that problem with City of Heroes. I started playing that game on release day, "quit" five years later, returned every 3 months or so too many times to count, and now keep revisiting because they went F2P. I just can't seem to lose my taste for the game permanently.

Then again, that is why so many of us are willing to try out so many games...because we keep looking for that one that will grab us by the balls....just like so many used to do when the industry was much younger and less "hollywood".

I kinda wish that I had played UO when it was released. For whatever reason the concept, at the time, just didn't grab me and I never actually played it...despite playing just about every MMO that came after it at least once.

As for console MMOs...I wonder if DC Universe can expect a 9 year run on the PS3? Seems kind of hard to imagine.

7. UO and AC Mar 1, 2012, 15:50 JohnBirshire

I've been struggling with a UO addiction since 97, I have literally "quit the game for good" at least 30 times. I haven't played for over two years, and still feel an almost overwhelming desire to play it. No MMO will even come close, ever again.

Asheron's Call is still going as well.

6. Re: Sony Server Closures Mar 1, 2012, 14:21 Cutter

It doesn't boggle my mind that people still play UO so much as they pay to play it.]  

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

5. Re: Sony Server Closures Mar 1, 2012, 13:06 WarpCrow

Verno wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 13:00:
CommunistHamster wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 12:55:
I can't quite believe people still played a PS2 MMO.

People get really invested in MMOs man, you have no idea. I have a buddy who still plays UO It's one of those amusing circular fallacies. They want to quit but put in too much work to do it so they keep putting in more work. You can see it all the time in other walks of life.

Well, as far as UO goes there is also no MMO that replaces it. Publishers don't seem to like the sandbox model (apart from CCP), hence all the bland theme park WoW reskins we see on the market these days.

4. Re: Sony Server Closures Mar 1, 2012, 13:00 Verno

CommunistHamster wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 12:55:

People get really invested in MMOs man, you have no idea. I have a buddy who still plays UO It's one of those amusing circular fallacies. They want to quit but put in too much work to do it so they keep putting in more work. You can see it all the time in other walks of life.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

3. Re: Sony Server Closures Mar 1, 2012, 12:55 CommunistHamster

2. Re: Sony Server Closures Mar 1, 2012, 12:42 SimplyMonk

I find myself immensely curious on what the demographic is for the remaining EQ I players. Even more so for the PS2 EQOA community.

It's like when I loaded up Quake 1 and played a few rounds of MegaTF a few years ago. I spent my entire time trying to figure out who these people were and why the kept playing.

Although that had an easier answer. Current generation FPS are bad (in comparison).

1. Re: Sony Server Closures Mar 1, 2012, 12:12 Lokust

9+ years is a really good run for a niche MMO. EA could learn a lot from this example.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo