Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity 5 Revealed?

NeoGAF has some images said to be scans from German Gamestar magazine showing off SimCity 5 for the first time. This is all still an unconfirmed rumor, but Maxis, creators of the urban planning series, is known to be working on a new project, and PC Gamer notes they have already committed to announcement next week at GDC. Thanks Joao.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 3, 2012, 10:23 eRe4s3r

Caesar 3 isn't a city builder but a puzzle game And Caesar 4 looks very dated even now, .. there's just something about the sprites in Sim city 4 that i like.. they aged well, even if the game engine sucks and has dozens of issues.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 20:35 Sepharo

Until this thread I didn't know that SC4 was considered harder than the others. Seemed like a normal SimCity to me.

Somewhere along the line I became a bigger fan of the Caesar series than SimCity. Caesar 3 and 4 are some of my favorite games. I know Tilted Mill did Sim City: Societies and nobody has heard anything from them lately but I'm hoping they're working on Caesar 5.

37. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 18:17 Yosemite Sam

Well I know of what I speak when it comes to SC4. The commuter logarithms for the AI was and is broken. Buildings kept getting abandoned due to 'long commute times' the longer you ran a city the worse it got. Your city just ended up with housing getting built, commuters couldnt get to work, housing gets abandoned, rinse and repeat. Was\am a member of Simtropolis and there are some community patches out to try and fix the issue, with limited success... course maybe they finally did eventually fix it, I havent been on in ages. I made a lot of content with the BAT under the pseudonym disk_error. Also made a map with a whole whack of railroads just to have fun driving trains around, was on the EA servers, course knowing EA they stopped supporting that ages ago.

EDIT: Perfect pathfinding was the name of the community created patch to try and fix the commuter bug, I think its used in the NAM mod.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2012, 18:49.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

36. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 15:37 PHJF

I don't know what you're talking about, maybe that was patched out. I had another SC4 phase roughly a year ago and had a few sprawling, glistening metropolises going in short order. While abandoned buildings were always a problem in 2K, they were sparse in SC4.

Most people found SC4 so tough to crack because getting and maintaining an income was a lot more of a problem. The trick was to micro your funding levels to maximize profits, adjusting on-the-fly as demand rose. You couldn't just plop a hospital down and ignore it or you'd find yourself bankrupt in no time.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

35. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 14:30 Yosemite Sam

JayDeath wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 08:31:
I found simcity 4 to be extremely difficult. There seemed to be way too much micromanagement and I could never get a thriving city going. I thought simcity 3000 was the better game.

It was the whole commuter thing they added. It was broken and never fixed. The AI pathfinding could not find its way to work. That was why buildings kept getting dilapidated in the game and if you ran one long enough your whole city would just crumble. City had to be built around the retarded AI to survive, and those were not realistic looking at all.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

34. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 12:47 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 12:00:
You mean the Cities game that had two consequential, full price releases use the EXACT SAME launch trailer because they included only marginal differences?
That Cities?

Gotta agree with Beamer here and I'll go even further, CitiesXL is a very simplified city builder with no appeal. When I was on the beta of the first game I remember most beta-testers, which were experiences city builders, saying the game was too simple with a small number of features.

That CitiesXL2012 is pretty much the same game as the original is shocking, that people buy it is even more shocking.

33. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 12:25 Beamer

SirOvenMitt wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 12:20:
I might be wrong but I could swear SC4 was almost complete when EA took over Maxis. I would bet if EA had been there from the start it would have sucked balls as well.

EA took over Maxis in 1997.
You know, after they had such incredible success with SimFarm, SimTown, SimGolf (the bad one, not the Sid Meier one), SimPark, SimTunes, SimCopter, Streets of Simcity and SimSafari.

All wonderful titles and not at all stupid cashgrabs milking a name.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 12:20 SirOvenMitt

I might be wrong but I could swear SC4 was almost complete when EA took over Maxis. I would bet if EA had been there from the start it would have sucked balls as well.  

31. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 12:00 Beamer

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 10:33:
Games such as Cities in Motion, or Cities XL , should be supported, instead of this EA in-game advertisemented Simcity 5. As much as it breaks my heart, for I grew up plating Simcity / 2K, I have boycotted EA since the Westwood burial.

Simcity 5 would have to have something very appealing, gameplaywise, to change my mind, but no thanks EA.

Sorry Maxis.
/not trolling.

You mean the Cities game that had two consequential, full price releases use the EXACT SAME launch trailer because they included only marginal differences?
That Cities?

-------------

30. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 10:59 Quboid

ASeven wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 09:09:
Verno wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 09:08:
Hah, can't wait. A classic in the modern industry, how badly can they fuck up and monetize this? A 1X zoom and Sims level overview for the 360 players. Cash shop for branded properties, preorder before August 1 to get the exclusive Dead Space 2 space station property. No wait, I've got it - you can't put down more power stations without booster packs.

Play the iconic City sim ever! Now with DLC!
Hospital - $5
Police Station - $10
Bus Stops - $2 per stop

Buy now!

After playing Microsoft Flight, this is my fear. 15 for most of Hawaii, 10 for an aircraft. If Simcity 5 is free-to-play, it could end up being very expensive.

- Quboid

29. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 10:33 Optional nickname

Games such as Cities in Motion, or Cities XL , should be supported, instead of this EA in-game advertisemented Simcity 5. As much as it breaks my heart, for I grew up plating Simcity / 2K, I have boycotted EA since the Westwood burial.

Simcity 5 would have to have something very appealing, gameplaywise, to change my mind, but no thanks EA.

Sorry Maxis.
/not trolling.

28. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 10:16 ASeven

Verno wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 09:42:
What will be the awesome button? I wonder.

Hit the awesome button to instantly build an awesome city!

27. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 09:42 Verno

What will be the awesome button? I wonder.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

26. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 09:09 ASeven

Verno wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 09:08:
Hah, can't wait. A classic in the modern industry, how badly can they fuck up and monetize this? A 1X zoom and Sims level overview for the 360 players. Cash shop for branded properties, preorder before August 1 to get the exclusive Dead Space 2 space station property. No wait, I've got it - you can't put down more power stations without booster packs.

Play the iconic City sim ever! Now with DLC!
Hospital - $5
Police Station - $10
Bus Stops - $2 per stop

Buy now!

25. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 09:08 Verno

Hah, can't wait. A classic in the modern industry, how badly can they fuck up and monetize this? A 1X zoom and Sims level overview for the 360 players. Cash shop for branded properties, preorder on Origin before August 1 to get the exclusive Dead Space 2 space station property. No wait, I've got it - you can't put down more power stations without booster packs.

This is going to be hilarious.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

24. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 09:03 ASeven

Kinda surprised for the lack of love for SC4, I thought it was the best SC of them all due to the complexity and difficulty. You really could make some amazing cities with the game.

Since the ad for console coders to work on a sim game came out weeks ago from EA I fear this will come for consoles. More than the limited hardware power consoles bring my fear is that from a commercial point of view EA won't be interested in making a complex SC game since the console market is not the right demography for such games, SC4 would have not sold enough on consoles I wager, and therefore they will casualize the game a lot in order for it to be financially attractive on consoles as well. And since this is EA who has a rather bad track record in the past years (EA was decent when SC4 came out but that was 7 years ago, EA now is different from the EA 7 years ago) I do fear that the chances of a SC game centered on PC are little. It could go the way of BF3, EA hyped the game was centered on PCs and then after the game came out they said the game changed lead platforms for consoles in the middle of development.

Therefore, SC5 will be a wait for reviews for me. If this was the same EA of 7 years ago I wouldn't be too worried but it's not.

23. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 08:37 Kajetan

JayDeath wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 08:31:
I found simcity 4 to be extremely difficult. There seemed to be way too much micromanagement and I could never get a thriving city going. I thought simcity 3000 was the better game.
Still playing SimCity 2000. IMHO the best combination of accessibility and gameplay depth. I never got warm with SC3000 and SC4 i totally passed. Too much work, too less a game i want to play in my leisure time.

22. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 08:35 SpectralMeat

So if this going to be an EA game we can expect it to be exclusive to Origin and not available on Steam
Same goes for Generals 2.

Steam: SpectralMeat

21. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 08:31 JayDeath

Steam: BenRichards

20. Re: Sim City 5 Revealed? Mar 1, 2012, 08:22 Beamer

SirOvenMitt wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 07:33:
Ummmmm I think you all are forgetting there was a SimCity game released under EA..... It was a turd called SimCity Societies which was complete garbage. I bet you can expect more of this type of a game with some Sims crap thrown in and it will be a console port to boot.

Totally!
There was also SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4 released under EA! Wow, did they ever ruin SimCity!

-------------

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo