Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft Flight Takes Off

The Microsoft Flight Website now offers Microsoft Flight, the free-to-play follow up to the Microsoft Flight Simulator series of flying games. With the series entering a new era with a name change and a different business model, MCV sits down with Microsoft's Joshua Howard about these topics. Here are his thoughts on the free thing: "Free-to-play was a really easy choice. The idea that we’re going to give away an experience that can introduce, for no cost, millions and millions of people to the magic that is flying just seemed like a no brainer. We believe people will get in, experience the free thing, realise that flying is magical, it is doable, it is achievable. And then they’ll become fans. And if they become fans then they’ll want to stick around. And a free-to-play model with downloadable content seemed to be a great fit for that."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Mar 1, 2012, 09:42 Rigs

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 16:33:
...but lack of anything moving makes the world feel dead. I'll pass.

Damn, you kids with you're dynamic scenery and AI-controlled aircraft...When I was your age...

Actually, that sounds pretty cool. Maybe it's time to upgrade from my beloved copy of Flight Simulator 4 and see what this new fangled technology you youngins are always jabberin' about is like...I'm keeping my EGA-videocard though...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 16:33 Mikus_Aurelius

Yeah I never saw any mention of dynamic scenery at all in the beta. I don't mind limited aircraft selection or limited area (Flight Unlimited II was awesome), but lack of anything moving makes the world feel dead. I'll pass.  

21. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 16:07 Quboid

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 15:25:
Civilian flight sims are about mastering procedures and flying carefully within narrow parameters. I find them a lot of fun, but if you're not willing to spend the time mastering those procedures, then simply flying around looking at scenery does get boring.

Yeah, they've added caches for you to find. That might actually be interesting, but it's nothing like practising the procedures. There is a checklist system which is a nice, non-patronising way to teach you about the plane. It seems odd that there's no air traffic control, indeed I haven't seen any air traffic.

I'm disappointed by the price. £15 for the rest of Hawaii. £10 for an aircraft (a small passenger plane), £5 for another (Mustang P51, presumably sans weapons ). Boo.

I don't think this is worth trying without a joystick to be honest. I'm sure it's X-Box controller compatible but I've no motivation to try it. Keyboard, eh ... it's free so by all means give it a shot, but don't shell out for any DLC without shelling out for a joystick.

- Quboid

20. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 15:29 Omni

Is this worth trying with keyboard and mouse ?  

19. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 15:25 Scottish Martial Arts

Civilian flight sims are about mastering procedures and flying carefully within narrow parameters. I find them a lot of fun, but if you're not willing to spend the time mastering those procedures, then simply flying around looking at scenery does get boring.  

18. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 14:55 Burrito of Peace

This "game" cures insomnia.

The most fun I had was crashing the Stearman into the buildings of Honolulu.

17. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 14:02 Wildone

they left out trackIR bcus they dont give a toss there is a large community of people who like to use it whilst flying. Shows how much they considered those people as well as the newbie console kiddies with their smartie colored controllers!  

16. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 13:49 Quboid

If you want to fly a light aircraft around some pretty scenery, it's fine. If you want to learn to fly or navigate, forget it - X-Plane is your best bet now.

EDIT: Halo's right, Aces Studio closed down a couple of years ago.

- Quboid

15. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 13:47 Halo

I believe I read a WHILE ago that MS closed their Flight Sim dept. This is not supposed to be anything like MSFS just a flying game. The only thing this application simulates is the feeling of having actual fun.  

14. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 13:43 Quboid

As I said, it's not FS2012. I haven't played the full version much, just a few minutes, and I played the beta.

There's no airliners. There's no time compression. I don't see any sign of flight paths, air-traffic control, other aircraft. It covers only the big Hawaiian island, with the rest of Hawaii for sale for 1600MS, or about £14, and additional small aircraft for about 600MS, £5. The flight model seems similar to FSX, with a few realism options as FSX had. Lack of TrackIR support seems odd, it would fit in the game perfectly as you can use the mouse to move/rotate your head.

- Quboid

13. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 13:26 SM0k3

Wildone wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 13:03:
Not even track IR support. Fly with your mouse & keyboard!! LULZ! They aint gettin a penny from me. F off.

No TrackIR?! how could they possibly leave that out....

So much fail, I'll try it one Sunday morning when I don't have shit else to do.

12. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 13:05 Bumpy

Played the demo last night for a good hour.

Has a console designed feel to it. This game could easily be ported to 360 with its gamepad driven menus and hud. Where did all the movable info and gfx windows go?

While its not arcade its not hardcore either. Its more action driven than about learning how to fly properly.

Was sort of fun to play but I see it as a $30 game WITH all the main DLC.

11. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 13:03 Donkey_Punch

I can't seem to find a list of locations included in the game. Anyone?  

10. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 13:03 Wildone

Not even track IR support. Fly with your mouse & keyboard!! LULZ! They aint gettin a penny from me. F off.  

9. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 12:36 Wildone

GFWL install fail. Already done.  

8. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 11:31 eRe4s3r

So what level of simulation are we talking about here? hardcore, arcade? in between? Asking because FSX 2012 had some very advanced air current simulations for gliders.... is this in this as well? That was the only method of flight I found challenging...

And helicopters?

7. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 10:48 nwerner

ninFTMFW.  
http://www.youtube.com/leewardstyle

6. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 10:45 nin

nwerner wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:39:
wonkawonka wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:03:
Quboid wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 09:49:
I was in the beta and this is an appropriate level of interest. It's worth checking out for sim heads but it's not Flight Simulator 2012.
Care to expand on that? Why is it not FS2012? I'm interested.
Thanks.

'MS Flight' covers a small fraction of the Planet.

'FSXI(2012)' would cover the entire Planet.

Yeah, but now with GFMFWL you can get achievements for flying in that small fraction of the planet!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 10:39 nwerner

wonkawonka wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:03:
I was in the beta and this is an appropriate level of interest. It's worth checking out for sim heads but it's not Flight Simulator 2012.
Thanks.

'MS Flight' covers a small fraction of the Planet.

'FSXI(2012)' would cover the entire Planet.

http://www.youtube.com/leewardstyle

4. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 10:03 wonkawonka

Thanks.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo