Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans

Saying the official release is planned for tomorrow, Mojang now offers a preview version 1.2 of Minecraft, the indie game everyone digs so much. Word is: "Full change log will be posted tomorrow, but itís basically all the snapshots since Minecraft 1.1 packed into one :)." They also announce they have hired the four main developers of the bukkit community-based Minecraft server implementation to develop the official Minecraft API. Word is:

The plan is to build a fresh server API, and then extend it to support client-side modding (in one way or another). We will try to make it easy for bukkit users to convert if they wish to do so, but backwards compatibility is not guaranteed. We will, however, help bukkit to be compatible with 1.2, to avoid having a long gap while you wait for the official Minecraft server to catch up.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Mar 1, 2012, 12:45 Fibrocyte

WarpCrow wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 06:21:
Fibrocyte wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 20:32:
I want to get into this game but its so hard to do. Playing solo is fine... for a bit.

Multiplayer is kinda meh as servers disappear as fast as they appear, griefers run amuck, and there's little cooperation. I'm sure I'm not getting on the right servers but they're a bit of a PITA to find.

Check out minestatus.net and try one of the bigger servers. My server of choice is Buxville which has been around for something like two years and griefing is illegal, but there are a few good ones depending on what mix of PvP, PvE, and mods you might desire.

tyvm for the tip -- I'll give it a try. =)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Mar 1, 2012, 09:34 MisterBenn

Coming along nicely Sepharo, looks very similar to a project I *almost* finished last year. I made an asymmetrical hilltop castle thing, it had 2 major levels, a tower and a rooftop viewing platform with pool. I had a kick ass workshop inside but I didn't finish off all the detailing inside once the walls were all complete. I made a piston drawbridge but it was a bit lame (and I hurt myself making it far more than it did to any mobs). I had a 1 block of mud border at ground level that mobs would congregate on at night... I was considering rigging up pistons to buttons on the rooftop so that people could press buttons to push mobs off the edge to their doom!

So is Blue still running that old Trackmania server? He should convert it to a whitelist Minecraft server!

Edit: Also I've been following the prerelease Minecraft updates, Jeb's a lot better at finishing features than Notch was. His changes are individually small but they are quite sensible and he rolled out a handful every couple of weeks.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

13. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Mar 1, 2012, 06:21 WarpCrow

Fibrocyte wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 20:32:
I want to get into this game but its so hard to do. Playing solo is fine... for a bit.

Multiplayer is kinda meh as servers disappear as fast as they appear, griefers run amuck, and there's little cooperation. I'm sure I'm not getting on the right servers but they're a bit of a PITA to find.

Check out minestatus.net and try one of the bigger servers. My server of choice is Buxville which has been around for something like two years and griefing is illegal, but there are a few good ones depending on what mix of PvP, PvE, and mods you might desire.

12. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 22:59 Sepharo

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 22:44:
Oh come on Sepharo, give us an actual game screenshot...

http://i.imgur.com/lwFPR.jpg

It's not done, but I think you get the gist.

11. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 22:44 Mr. Tact

Oh come on Sepharo, give us an actual game screenshot...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 20:58 Sepharo

My work group actually started playing en masse again. One guy has his whole family on there and his kids are building a shared compound right near the spawn.

We also dug out the spawn zone so anybody new coming in has to be let in with our switch activated bridge.

My base is a fortress on top of a pretty big mountain (in a mountain biome) and I have it built right out to the edges. Kind of gives it this look. Also really like the new(er) abandoned mineshaft locations. My base is on top of a pretty massive one, tons of cave spiders (and generators), chests, and free wood and rails. Haven't even come close to exploring all of it I assume, and it's really easy to get lost especially since it comes pre-torched and the tunnels mostly look the same.

9. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 20:32 Fibrocyte

8. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 17:02 Mr. Tact

I know some are looking forward to the new ceiling height, but yeah something is weird here -- I liked the game better when it was less finished and had fewer features...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 16:09 Verno

space captain wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 15:15:
these "devs" are slower than id

Yeah, it's amusing because I remember how excited fans used to get for the weekly patch friday and stuff like that. The client itself is in a terrible state these days and they are slower than ever. Oh well, I got my moneys worth but its a shame how its being maintained.

A friend of mine got frustrated awhile ago and quit, calling it a tech demo filled with poorly thought out, half finished features. I don't necessarily agree with him but I do see where hes coming from when you run into a villager with pig AI or go to the boring ass, unfinished nether, etc.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

6. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 15:16 Beelzebud

I really think Notch coded himself into a corner, and was lucky enough to get the cash infusion necessary to hire actual developers that did more than dick around in Java.  

5. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 15:15 space captain

these "devs" are slower than id  
Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 15:03 WarpCrow

It's about damn time. They've been talking about this for half a year or more with no apparent action. All my love to the Minecraft team, but multiplayer and the mod community are where the game really shines.  

3. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 13:52 zombiefan

I'd like to start playing it again; however, I've since forgotten my password (or my account got hacked) and moved, thus losing my original email address that I used to register my account with. I've contacted Mojang support no less than 5 times over the past 6 months regarding the issue, supplying my Paypal transaction ID and haven't been contacted once. Even tried contacting them on Twitter. Nothing.

Heads up to fellow gamers, don't count on their shoddy support if you can't access your account anymore.

2. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 11:58 jimnms

I've recently started playing this again. I've watched some videos of the pre-release snapshots and like the changes, especially the new jungle biome. I don't think I'll need to start a new map since I spawned in a small forest surrounded by a snow biome. As far out as I've explored from my little home is snow. I have not run into a village yet, so I don't think I'll have to worry about the changes to them.  

MeanJim on Steam

1. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 10:55 nwerner

wish they'd absorb 'treecapitator' already.

http://www.youtube.com/leewardstyle

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo