Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support

2K Games and Gearbox Software announce Steamworks support will be included in Borderlands 2 when the role-playing shooter is released on September 18th. Here's the deal: "Borderlands 2 players will enjoy the benefits of Steamworks features, such as Steam Achievements, downloadable content, auto-updating, multiplayer matchmaking, Steam Cloud support and more. Customers who purchase the PC retail version of Borderlands 2 will also be able to enjoy all the great Steamworks features as well."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Mar 2, 2012, 02:14 PHJF

I hope they'll stay away from the horseshit "EVERYTHING LEVELS UP WITH YOU!" change they made to Borderlands 1 and its DLC.

Didn't do that on the first playthrough. Why wouldn't you want that on subsequent ones?

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Mar 1, 2012, 18:15 Creston

jimnms wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 23:48:
Blackhawk wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 12:26:
jimnms wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 12:05:
We did do every possible quest, and all of the DLC, but didn't beat the final boss because it required a 2nd play through to level up enough to take it on.

Had you done a second playthrough, you'd have discovered that the boss had leveled up right along with you.

The one I'm talking about was level 70 or something, and spits out mini version that were level 60. At the end of our first play through we were in the 40's and couldn't even scratch the damn thing.

Crawmerax was more of an "Ultima Weapon" style boss. Completely optional, and not really part of the storyline. But yeah, he's always max level.

I hope they'll stay away from the horseshit "EVERYTHING LEVELS UP WITH YOU!" change they made to Borderlands 1 and its DLC.

Creston

22. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Mar 1, 2012, 09:45 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 23:42:
I actually had a very good experience with Borderlands and online coop. And I found that the voice chat worked fine.

Errrrr the voice chat was always on with no push to talk button and used a very low bitrate along with an old codec.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

21. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 23:48 jimnms

Blackhawk wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 12:26:
We did do every possible quest, and all of the DLC, but didn't beat the final boss because it required a 2nd play through to level up enough to take it on.

Had you done a second playthrough, you'd have discovered that the boss had leveled up right along with you.

The one I'm talking about was level 70 or something, and spits out mini version that were level 60. At the end of our first play through we were in the 40's and couldn't even scratch the damn thing.

The first play through got easy after a while. We were leveled way over every mission available. We did start a second play through, but the mission scaling still was below us. It wasn't even a challenge, so we quit.

Steam Profile

20. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 23:42 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 16:31:
Good, borderlands 1 sucked so bad in trying to get a multiplayer game going what with the crap gamespy thing and GfWL.

I got in on a 4 pack with someone on blues as I recall, and we tried multiplayer a couple times, it was difficult to get working.
I actually had a very good experience with Borderlands and online coop. And I found that the voice chat worked fine. That said I have no doubt that proper Steam integration will improve the quality, as I've never been a great fan of GameSpy.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 16:31 Dev

Good, borderlands 1 sucked so bad in trying to get a multiplayer game going what with the crap gamespy thing and GfWL.

I got in on a 4 pack with someone on blues as I recall, and we tried multiplayer a couple times, it was difficult to get working.

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2012, 17:43.

18. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 15:14 Alamar

finga wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 14:26:
They didn't mention mods, just DLC. Steamworks doesn't necessarily come with mod support, even though it did with Skyrim (but that's it for now).

As far as the DLC thing, I don't think Gearbox has ever done the "day one DLC" thing, and only have launched their DLC post-release. And, I think more importantly, their DLC is actually pretty good and often worth the money, with the exception of whatever they put out for Duke Forever (due to the game itself) and that Moxxi DLC since it was just one big arena to play in.

I disagree with your 'exception'; I thought the first Borderlands DLC was nearly worthless. The others were well worth the 66 or 83% off; about as much as I want to pay for any new content.

'B2' will get much more of my money though. Day 1 most likely, but DLC after the inevitable GOTY edition.

-Alamar

17. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 14:26 finga

They didn't mention mods, just DLC. Steamworks doesn't necessarily come with mod support, even though it did with Skyrim (but that's it for now).

As far as the DLC thing, I don't think Gearbox has ever done the "day one DLC" thing, and only have launched their DLC post-release. And, I think more importantly, their DLC is actually pretty good and often worth the money, with the exception of whatever they put out for Duke Forever (due to the game itself) and that Moxxi DLC since it was just one big arena to play in.

16. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 14:03 jacobvandy

Saw this coming after they went with Steamworks for DNF and patched some form of it into Borderlands 1, and I'm pretty glad about it. Gamespy (and thus the requirement they come up with their own voice chat system) was one of the worst things about the first game.

If they are indeed talking about supporting mods (it doesn't seem clear to me that they are), that's great too.

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2012, 14:24.

15. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 13:14 noman

I can kind of see why someone would be miffed about a game requiring Steam (though it's my preferred poison of choice, so it's fine with me) , but the way I see it there's really no point in complaining about Steamworks DRM in a retail game unless the game would have been DRM-free without it, which is unlikely. Would you rather Tages, Securom, Safedisc, Starforce, etc.?

I'd prefer Securom in particular over Steam anytime, when the game comes with built-in deactivation tools and when there is only install time activation. Besides the no-DRN games, such SecuROM titles (Mirror's Edge, Crysis Warhead, Burnout Paradise) are the next best things as you get control over the game (simultaneous play on more than one PC at the same time, easy deactivation and reselling or lending to a friend), no accounts, no third party apps, no process running in the background, no worries about online or offline mode since the game is activated only once during install, no special patches and no special install requirements.

It was simply the least troublesome DRM method for me.

14. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 13:07 theyarecomingforyou

I really hope this game supports the Steam Inventory, as that would be a killer feature for a loot based game. Obviously there would need to be safeguards but it was handled well in TF2.

As for requiring Steam; I think the obvious direction would be to be vendor neutral and allow the end user to register their game on the service that they see fit, from a pre-determined selection. For instance, if someone likes Origin then they can take the retail game and activate it there but then not on Steam. Valve and EA could get a percentage of the sale based upon activation numbers, which would better encourage competition in the marketplace and give users free choice. It's unlikely to happen though.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

13. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 12:39 Verno

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 12:26:
I guess everyone complaining about Steamworks really loved the awesome Gamespy matchmaking the first game had. Or the DRM that had install limits.

One dude complained about Steamworks, good grief. But yes Gamespy sucked and the game didn't even support UPnP at release.

12. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 12:26 Beelzebud

I guess everyone complaining about Steamworks really loved the awesome Gamespy matchmaking the first game had. Or the DRM that had install limits.

11. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 12:26 Blackhawk

10. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 12:05 jimnms

Two of the DLC's had DRM with limited activations. I'll wait for the all of the DLC to be released and buy the complete version on sale for <$10 like I did the first one. I bought it for me and a couple of friends and we did enjoy it, although it became repetitive after a while, and we never really "finished" it. We did do every possible quest, and all of the DLC, but didn't beat the final boss because it required a 2nd play through to level up enough to take it on.  

Steam Profile

9. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 11:16 deadearth

Verno wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:37:
Well given that they included SecuRom with a DLC in Borderlands 1 in all versions, that's far from a given unfortunately.

I think the purpose of this was mainly for the non-steam versions, but IIRC due to some licensing issue (or possibly publishing agreement?) they had to put it on the steam version. The later dlc's did not have SecuRom on steam.

Since this one is steam across the board I would highly doubt that any of it will come with SecuRom.

8. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 10:52 Verno

Slashman wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:47:
Well given that they included SecuRom with a DLC in Borderlands 1 in all versions, that's far from a given unfortunately.

Well of course they did. Stupid is the new...um...smart! Yes...that's it!!

To be fair I don't recall if it was just an old executable wrapper or not. It was a pretty silly discovery though and one that particularly stung because the DLC arrived before the patches to fix the multiplayer did. Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes, no DRM is really necessary with Steam and Steamworks functionality is wonderful when done right.

7. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 10:49 Mad Max RW

fightinfilipino wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:21:

they mean MODS. i'm not a fan of day 1 DLC either, but they're referring to MODS on Steamworks here.

No they aren't.

6. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 10:47 Slashman

Well of course they did. Stupid is the new...um...smart! Yes...that's it!!

5. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 10:37 Verno

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo