Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details

Bigpoint reveals new details about their browser-based Game of Thrones MMORPG that was first revealed late last year. A preliminary website is online, and they say the game is in the works at Norwegian developer Artplant, and they say they expect it to go into closed beta testing in the fall. Here's a bit on how this will work: "Bigpoint’s design goal is to capture the show’s compelling drama and action and create a visceral gaming experience via an unprecedented level of visual fidelity. The bloodthirsty struggle for power, corruption, and deception will persist. To ensure survival of their dynasty, players must master combat and politics." They say more details will be revealed at next week's Game Developer Conference.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 22:04 Veterator

Considering how many pages of his books are devoted to talking, politics, inner monologues, etc compared to the rest....

Good luck to them, I don't think it will make anyone feel like they are apart of the world and still be "popular".....too many people don't like to read and voicing/acting out an entire game is not going to happen.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 18:56 Turglar

I'm sure this browser game will be a piece of shit, but not because its GoT (because its a browser game, lol).

If you don't think GoT can translate well to any type of video game you should try paradox's Crusader Kings 2 and tell me it isn't just begging for a GoT mod.

The political intrigue and war bits are perfect for a grand strategy game. The GoT:Genesis game was a giant turd though, but the developers were obviously incompetent and just did a rush job trying to cash in quickly on the TV shows popularity (which i'm sure is bigpoint's plan too).

10. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 18:33 Endo

Asmo wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 17:57:
GoT would work with a game format like Mortal Online, but atm it just seems they're wringing every last concept out of it purely because it's popular on TV (rather than preserving the integrity of the franchise...). How bloody unusual... Rolleyes
I stand by what I said earlier. It doesn't translate well to any video game, because what makes it great is the story and the characters. As soon as you change either one, it's no longer the same thing. The fantasy world of A Song of Fire and Ice has nothing really all that interesting or unique about it compared to any other of dozens of fantasy worlds to make it a compelling backdrop for a video game.

9. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 17:57 Asmo

GoT would work with a game format like Mortal Online, but atm it just seems they're wringing every last concept out of it purely because it's popular on TV (rather than preserving the integrity of the franchise...). How bloody unusual... Rolleyes  

8. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 16:51 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 15:05:
Eff you effers I'd love to explore that world in glorious 3D! I'd especially love to travel the realms with Tyrion getting drunk to the gills and banging whores!

Rated T for Teens. Try again.

That is only my guess, by the way. I would be pleased if it was rated M/AO (which it would be if it was truly based off the source material), but don't see that happening. I would also be worried by the fact that they say "based off the show" rather than "based of the books", but the show was very good at staying true to the series.

7. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 15:12 Beamer

Endo wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 11:54:
Slashman wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:51:
I just don't see this working out.

I love Martin's work...but it doesn't really make me want to play games based on it.
Exactly. What makes his work great is the characters, the drama, the story. None of it translates all that well really to any video game format, and particularly not an MMO.

But as for his books, he's probably my favorite author and has been for quite some time.

Nope. The world is interesting mostly because of the characters and only because of the characters. I don't want to interact with them, either, and change what they do.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 15:05 Cutter

Eff you effers I'd love to explore that world in glorious 3D! I'd especially love to travel the realms with Tyrion getting drunk to the gills and banging whores!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

5. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 13:51 Halo

Endo wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 11:54:

I love Martin's work...but it doesn't really make me want to play games based on it.
Exactly. What makes his work great is the characters, the drama, the story. None of it translates all that well really to any video game format, and particularly not an MMO.

But as for his books, he's probably my favorite author and has been for quite some time.

I like it too for the story, never wanted to be a part of it.

4. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 13:29 Ruffiana

Welcome to the World of Thrones.
You have been backstabbed for 1,000 points of damage.
You have died.

3. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 11:54 Endo

2. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 11:09 Tanto Edge

Hey maybe they'll add new areas like Castlewood to this one too.
Or maybe Castlewood will strangely be missing from this version of the GoT world cause it's not part of the original fucking story.

The bloodthirsty struggle for experience, levels, and drops will persist.
heh. See what I did there? haha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

1. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 10:51 Slashman

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo