Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed

Cyanide Studio offers six new Game of Thrones screenshots from their upcoming RPG based on George R.R. Martin's novels. The new shots introduce a new original location that will be part of the game. Here's word on that:

Castlewood is an original location, playing a key role in the video game while fitting into the existing “A Song Of Ice And Fire” saga. The township of Castlewood will be one of the many places the two heroes of the game – Mors, sworn brother of the Night's Watch, and Alester, the Red Priest – will explore and fight through. From King’s Landing and Red Keep to the Wall, an Epic quest awaits our heroes, guided by revenge, loyalty, honor, and family, along a twisting plot filled with betrayal and vicious hardships.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Mar 1, 2012, 01:18 Tanto Edge

When you get some dick headed design staff adding shit to canon in one game, people naturally expect it in the others, and it just won't be there. Designers think it's cute to cram their cock into someone elses work, but every studio has their own random splooge.

'Castlewood' (or Cabinriver, Manorplains, Ranchervalley, etc) won't be in the mmorpg, or any other offshoot half baked nugget of code these studios pinch off the coil. It's not canon and it doesn't exist outside Cyanides 'version'.

I'm not saying you can't make a game based on an IP. I'm saying if you want to make a story about Castlewood, make the game about your own world and stop dicking with somebody elses work.

There's more than enough material in those books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Mar 1, 2012, 00:21 Illumin

Give it a year and someone will have an awesome MOD useing Skyrim and convert it over to GoT. It will be free, and x1000 times better.

12. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 16:27 briktal

Scheherazade wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 15:22:
The solution is :

- Set the game within the existing world. (places players have seen, and want to be)

- Play a minor character. (so players can't ruin the immersion by doing things they know didn't happen)

- Do tasks that do not have a causality relationship with the established over-arching story. (so players can't ruin the immersion by doing things they know didn't happen)

- Don't break any established canon. (so developers don't ruin the immersion by doing things players know didn't happen)

When doing a game that is part of an established world, you need to work within the established world.

Players that are interested in playing a game set in an established world, are looking for exactly that : a game set in an established world.
That is the attraction.

Developers breaking the rules of the established world, aren't delivering.
They're providing the established world 'in name only', and delivering something different, something that players were not looking for.

Yes, it's difficult to do something without breaking canon.
(As WoW has done to itself many times, simply because there is so much to get mixed up)
But down the line, breaking canon just gets you a bad rap, and no one that came for [name the established property] will respect the game.

Granted, players new to [name the established property] won't care.

-scheherazade

The hard part is that there often aren't that many minor characters that have something meaningful to do "inside" the established story. Of course, when you do this, you run the risk of making these side characters almost too important. Also, I think it's fine for these new characters to go to a lot of the important places where things happen in the books. The key is to try and avoid somehow having those characters in the unimportant places where things happen from the stories. Just because Book Character A stops in random village B doesn't mean RPG Character 1 needs to visit that same village. That's how you end up falling into the trap.

11. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 16:01 Quboid

Hence, restrictive.

I'd give my left nut for "The Elder Scrolls 6: Ice & Fire", but they couldn't do that without building loads of new places and ending up with 99% of Westeros being their invention. I'd like G.R.R. Martin to oversee this, that's the best way to achieve this. Apart from, of course, making a game which has no direct connection to the game or its name, just it's style. Like Crusader Kings 2

Edit: Of course, Skyrim could have been called Ice & Fire by its geography and plot

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2012, 16:09.

- Quboid

10. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 15:22 Scheherazade

The solution is :

- Set the game within the existing world. (places players have seen, and want to be)

- Play a minor character. (so players can't ruin the immersion by doing things they know didn't happen)

- Do tasks that do not have a causality relationship with the established over-arching story. (so players can't ruin the immersion by doing things they know didn't happen)

- Don't break any established canon. (so developers don't ruin the immersion by doing things players know didn't happen)

When doing a game that is part of an established world, you need to work within the established world.

Players that are interested in playing a game set in an established world, are looking for exactly that : a game set in an established world.
That is the attraction.

Developers breaking the rules of the established world, aren't delivering.
They're providing the established world 'in name only', and delivering something different, something that players were not looking for.

Yes, it's difficult to do something without breaking canon.
(As WoW has done to itself many times, simply because there is so much to get mixed up)
But down the line, breaking canon just gets you a bad rap, and no one that came for [name the established property] will respect the game.

Granted, players new to [name the established property] won't care.

-scheherazade

9. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 15:08 Cutter

More like George doesn't want people to fuck with stuff that could possibly fuck up stuff he has planned out. So, he gives them license to play within his world by adding things that would fit in with a natural sort of continuity. I mean, it's not like this isn't happening without his blessing and oversight. So calm the fuck down. I'm definitly going to be checking this out.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 15:04 Quboid

Scheherazade wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 12:07:
The universal problem with tie-in games (and tie-in movies) is this :

Product maker (1) : "Wow, franchise X is so awesome, I love everything about it!"

Product maker (2) : "Dude, totally! We should make a game out of this!"

Product maker (1) : "F YEAH! Dude we're on it!"

Product maker (2) : "Yeah dude! Now let's change EVERYTHING about it.

Product maker (1) : "Well, we can leave the name the same. But the rest has to go!"

Just make your own damn game already, with its own name.
Stop cock teasing people with the name of something they like, and then delivering your own [unrelated] product in its place.

-scheherazade

I suspect it's more like:

Product maker (1) : "Wow, franchise X is so awesome, I love everything about it!"

Product maker (2) : "Yeah dude!"

Product maker (2) : "Oh man, this is actually really restrictive, since the author only wrote about places matter to the stories he wrote and the stories' world, fascinating as it is, it's really just a façade and unless we recreate the books and give the player zero freedom, we're going to need to flesh this out."

Product maker (1) : "Oh. Well, at least people on internet message boards will be sympathetic to our plight as long as we make sure it fits the existing saga"

Product maker (2) : "Oh look, a flying pig!"

- Quboid

7. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 14:41 briktal

Tanto Edge wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 11:04:
New area!?
Why, is the GoT world lacking in some way that the game designers couldn't address their stories within it?
So the game designers here get to stick their cocks into GRM's work and splooge disease the shit out of what is otherwise a perfectly good story world.
What massive fucking egos you would have to have to think that this is necessary.

You don't see people adding areas to the LotR saga. Here is ThumbsBranch, located south of the Shire, it is where all hobbits beat their wives.

It's not funny to think that some belligerent retard at Cyanide (is that foreshadowing I see in print?) believes it's necessary.

Moreover, why the fuck is a sworn member of the nights watch romping around instead of standing on the wall?
Oh that'll be part of the original story, right?
Yeah, totally original.

Why not approach this whole concept as an open ended RPG, rather than develop something I'd expect from EA?

Good fucking grief this industry never changes.

Castlewood. Don't tell me... it's a castle, in the woods. /facepalm
Incredible creativity.

The alternative is Star Wars where at least 75% of all the interesting things that have ever happened in the universe happened on a planet that was named in one of the movies. Let's be realistic. There are tons of little towns and castles that never get mentioned because nothing important happens there and nobody important comes from there. Or the remote ice world Hoth could have been the site of a bunch of big space battles in the past for no real reason.

6. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 13:56 Halo

New area!?
Why, is the GoT world lacking in some way that the game designers couldn't address their stories within it?
So the game designers here get to stick their cocks into GRM's work and splooge disease the shit out of what is otherwise a perfectly good story world.
What massive fucking egos you would have to have to think that this is necessary.

You don't see people adding areas to the LotR saga. Here is ThumbsBranch, located south of the Shire, it is where all hobbits beat their wives.

It's not funny to think that some belligerent retard at Cyanide (is that foreshadowing I see in print?) believes it's necessary.

Moreover, why the fuck is a sworn member of the nights watch romping around instead of standing on the wall?
Yeah, totally original.

Why not approach this whole concept as an open ended RPG, rather than develop something I'd expect from EA?

Incredible creativity.

No reason to lose your head over it dude.

5. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 12:07 Scheherazade

space captain wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 11:47:
New area!?

Yeah, totally original.

Incredible creativity.

you seem upset

The universal problem with tie-in games (and tie-in movies) is this :

Product maker (2) : "Yeah dude! Now let's change EVERYTHING about it.

Product maker (1) : "Well, we can leave the name the same. But the rest has to go!"

Just make your own damn game already, with its own name.
Stop cock teasing people with the name of something they like, and then delivering your own [unrelated] product in its place.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2012, 12:13.

4. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 11:47 space captain

New area!?

Yeah, totally original.

Incredible creativity.

you seem upset

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 11:04 Tanto Edge

New area!?

Yeah, totally original.

Incredible creativity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

2. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 10:55 Sempai

HBO aside, Martin's franchise has gotten off to a terrible start in the world of video games.

Let's hope this one doesn't suck also.

1. Re: Game of Thrones RPG New Area Revealed Feb 29, 2012, 09:55 Quboid

Crusader Kings II is the best Game of Throne game you could want.  

- Quboid

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo