Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Leap Day! Or as your boss considers it: An extra day to do business. A bonus profit opportunity. If this gets you angry, just remember, as Leap Day William teaches, nothing you do on Leap Day counts*, so this is an awesome opportunity for sweet, sweet revenge. Hope you're wearing yellow and blue and you have your own Leap Day miracle.

*Leap Day Willie is not an attorney, and his beliefs should not be taken as legal advice.

Leaping Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Monsters TD.
Boom Pirates.
Links: What is a Leap Year?
Stories: Razzies: Sandler's 'Jack and Jill' Gets 12 Worst-Film Nods. Thanks Neatorama.
Boeing delivers biggest 747 to secret VIP buyer. Thanks Devicer.
Backup Cameras Likely Mandated for 2014. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Tarantino - Seen From Below.
This Turtle Is Determined to Protect His Hood.
World Record Paper Airplane Throw.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
xkcd- Late-Night PBS.
Follow-ups: "Avengers" Gets Title Change, New Poster.
Electromagnetic Railgun Tested On Video.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Woeld Record Paper Airplane Mar 1, 2012, 08:43 kanniballl

Jim wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 08:25:
I'm surprised that the record distance was that short. I have made paper planes that had longer time aloft than this, but they generally apex just after launch and then slowly spiral downwards. If I had a venue to fly them in I'm sure I could tweak them to fly straight. I think the world record duration is something like 27 seconds, so given the proper environment something like that could probably go quite far.
Eh, I could see it.

226ft is just about 3/4rd of a Football field which is pretty far to throw a paper airplane.

Granted, this was inside (what looks to be) an airplane hangar or something... so the reduction of wind probably helps (and hurts). Updrafts are common, even in back yards.

Meanwhile I believe throwing into a slight breeze will give you a lot of "loft" time because of the increase air-speed and thus "lift" It won't translate into yardage, but it will let the paper stay up there longer.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2012, 08:48.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Woeld Record Paper Airplane Mar 1, 2012, 08:25 Jim

I'm surprised that the record distance was that short. I have made paper planes that had longer time aloft than this, but they generally apex just after launch and then slowly spiral downwards. If I had a venue to fly them in I'm sure I could tweak them to fly straight. I think the world record duration is something like 27 seconds, so given the proper environment something like that could probably go quite far.  
Jim

18. removed Feb 29, 2012, 19:27 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 29, 2012, 20:09.

Go forth, and kill!

17. removed Feb 29, 2012, 17:31 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 29, 2012, 18:01.

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 16:42 Cutter

nin wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 15:18:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 14:51:
Worst Feb. 29th in history, Davy Jones has died.

Oh wow, you weren't kidding.

That is sad. Everyone liked Davy Jones and The Monkees. Or at least you did if you're not an asshole.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 16:12 space captain

'Head' is one of the best psychedelic movies of all time.. i can sorta do without the monkees tunes, but the davy jones number with the black and white strobing shit was fucking nuts  
Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 15:18 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 14:51:

Oh wow, you weren't kidding.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 15:16 Rhino

nin wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:13:
The only gripe I heard (and it was minor) was the tutorial kinda threw you to the wolves and didn't explain things well, or did it while you were getting your ass handed to you (so it could be easy to miss). this was before the update/revamp 2.0 patch.

For $15 you can't really go wrong, assuming you liked the first one. I believe it's a direct amazon DL, and not a steam code, if that matters. Bats discovered that the other day, I think.

Thanks for that response.

The pre-patch tutorial was pretty much what I had heard, as well. I have generally only heard good things, but I always worry about my TIME being wasted on something that I could avoid (obviously $15 is a good price).

I never played the first one (there was a reason that I have long since forgotten... probably a time issue with all of the personal stuff over the last two or three years) so I have no real basis for comparison on that.

I almost prefer that it's an Amazon DL. I have no significant qualms with Steam. The only issue is that in a household where three of four of us are gamers (and the fourth is only because that person is a baby) is that it means that for games that we all wish to play we have to keep installing on a sort of default Steam account and staying in offline mode to avoid login conflict if we're all playing at the same time. A VERY minor issue, but avoided if it's not a Steam key.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 15:15 WarpCrow

nin wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:13:
Rhino wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:05:
So, what are everyone's thoughts on Witcher 2? Now that some time has passed since its release, and it's $15 on Amazon today, figured that now would be the time to ask :-)

Amazon seems to be having a sale today where several titles are up to 75% off; but darned if I can get that promotion page to work at the moment.

The only gripe I heard (and it was minor) was the tutorial kinda threw you to the wolves and didn't explain things well, or did it while you were getting your ass handed to you (so it could be easy to miss). this was before the update/revamp 2.0 patch.

For $15 you can't really go wrong, assuming you liked the first one. I believe it's a direct amazon DL, and not a steam code, if that matters. Bats discovered that the other day, I think.

I didn't really like the first one, but the second one is amazing. Waiting for the upcoming giant update before I start playing again.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 14:52 Cutter

Hey! I started the City of Steam alpha last night and have to say it's really effing cool! I can't believe how good it looks for a browser game and the heavy Steampunk flavour is sweet! Dunno if they're still giving out keys atm, but they're a good bunch and it's worth registering to get in ASAP. Basically it's a steampunk Diablo style game with a little more RPG flavouring.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 14:51 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 14:49 Cutter

You get stiffed on checks in the industry now and then, it's just life. It is most certainly nothing newsworthy. Conversely going the other way about the same amount you get tipped outrageously - which seems to me to be more newsworthy. Biggest tip I've ever actually seen anyone get myself was $1,000 on a $1,000 bill...for 1 couple. The cheap people to watch out for are generally the ones who talk up a storm about how awesome the service and everything else was, as if that can somehow make up a lousy tip. The best is when the el cheapos come back and the words goes out about them - and yes, the two people ALWAYS remembered in a resto are the good and bad tippers.

Which leads me to the most essential of all rules. If you are going to a bar/resto with friends/date/spouse always tip well on the first round To Insure Prompt Service if you're hanging out at the bar. I always find it funny when some cheap bastard is complaining about how long it takes to get another drink when people all around him are getting served. Like everything else in life, money talks, BS walks. If you're having a cocktail waiting for your table ALWAYS pay the bar instead of getting the bill transfered. Transfering it loses the bar money and is considered an el cheapo move by most. Being friendly with your bartender along with a good tip will set the tone for the other service because said bartender will make it known to your server that you're cool people and tip well which will guarentee you a better experience all around. And this is absolutely crucial on a date! A good server/bartender can make you look like a champ or a chump so if you want to come out a winner, be cool and tip well.

8. Re: I Weep for our News Feb 29, 2012, 13:53 nin

In short, apparently CNN (and others)

Yeah, it definitely wasn't just CNN.

7. I Weep for our News Feb 29, 2012, 13:50 kanniballl

CNN Video

In short, apparently CNN (and others) took it on faith that a blog photo of a receipt with a $133+ bill the customer left a tip of 1% with a note "Get a real job" was in fact real.

Big surprise! They investigated it LATER and found out it was a hoax.

Yet another example of my lost faith in CNN... they keep posting these viral videos and such on their front page and treat them as news.

There's "News" which is researched and fact-checked. And then there's spreading what's essentially gossip from blogs and videos. I would've hoped CNN would've skipped that but I guess everyone is afraid of them 'internets.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 12:43 Wallshadows

It's pretty funny that there is a Google hit when you type in 'my computer connects to the embassy of the russian federation in japan'.

Well, time to line my house with tinfoil and bury those ICBM warheads I found in the back yard.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 12:28 nin

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 12:20:
So I decided to install PeerBlock and, of all things, it blocked a brief communication effort between my computer and the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Japan.

Weird.

Now would be a great time for you to reload your OS.

Also, if someone knocks at the door, ask if they have a warrant.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 12:20 Wallshadows

So I decided to install PeerBlock and, of all things, it blocked a brief communication effort between my computer and the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Japan.

Weird.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 10:13 nin

Rhino wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:05:
So, what are everyone's thoughts on Witcher 2? Now that some time has passed since its release, and it's $15 on Amazon today, figured that now would be the time to ask :-)

Amazon seems to be having a sale today where several titles are up to 75% off; but darned if I can get that promotion page to work at the moment.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 10:05 Rhino

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 09:52 nin

Happy Leap Day! Or as your boss considers it: An extra day to do business. A bonus profit opportunity.

Yeah well, the yearly bonus hits the checking account at midnight, so I'm gonna let that slide, today.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo