Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied

A bunch of screenshots allegedly from DOOM 4 have surfaced, you can view these over on All Games Beta where they add: "Rumor: Doom 4 cancelled" with no further explanation. This doesn't seem a very substantial rumor, but Game Informer's Jim Reilly tweets it was worthy of debunking: "Bethesda says Doom 4 is not canceled" (thanks Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine). This is not the first rumor about d Software's upcoming shooter sequel that parent Bethesda has addressed in recent months, as in October they denied reports that the game was indefinitely postponed due to problems with the launch of RAGE.

View
84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

24. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 04:40 Jerykk

InBlack wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 04:12:
Im stoked. All those open spaces ready to be filled with hundreds of monsters ready to be mowed down... Im reminded of some of the better levels from Doom2. As for the setting, Doom is set in a futuristic setting but even in the future, cranes still look like cranes, skyscrapers still look like skycrapers, and containers still look like....well you get my point.

I doubt id can really fuck up Doom4. I mean after all the backlash with Doom3 they would have to be retarded not to listen to their fans...

The problem is that literally nothing in those shots looks even remotely futuristic. Not the vehicles, buildings, signs or anything. That's a stark contrast from the previous games.

As for id not fucking up Doom 4... you really believe that? After Doom 3 and RAGE, it's become eminently clear that id has dropped the ball. RAGE was a flop, id Tech 5 was a flop and Doom 3 was a flop amongst Doom and Quake fans. Quake Live is the only notable success they've had in years and that's just a slightly upgraded version of Q3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 04:12 InBlack

Im stoked. All those open spaces ready to be filled with hundreds of monsters ready to be mowed down... Im reminded of some of the better levels from Doom2. As for the setting, Doom is set in a futuristic setting but even in the future, cranes still look like cranes, skyscrapers still look like skycrapers, and containers still look like....well you get my point.

I doubt id can really fuck up Doom4. I mean after all the backlash with Doom3 they would have to be retarded not to listen to their fans...

I have a nifty blue line!

22. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 03:54 deqer

The screenshots look really nice. But none of them remind me of Doom.

The only screenshot (from this leaked batch) that reminds me of doom, is #8 with the hell'ish skies and tall ass buildings, without too much shit going on like in the remaining screenshots. the remaining screenshots look like another Rage game, where you're lost in some old china town city of rubble.

21. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 03:14 Jerykk

Drezden wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 00:00:
I like all the idiots that think it couldn't be Doom because it's on Earth.

Doom 2 was called Hell on Earth for a reason, you're all retarded. That is all.

I think people have doubts because the game really doesn't look futuristic at all, whereas Doom 3 was pretty futuristic.

20. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 02:20 Lorcin

Well the wall on the right of this shot certainly looks like something you'd expect from Rage:

http://i.minus.com/io6vOZqMZRqh4.jpg

19. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 01:56 Elf Shot The Food

bigspender wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 23:36:
those better not be DOOM 4 screenshots.... for starters its on Earth....(if you start trying to bring realism into DEMONS INVADING MARS, then its all wrong)

They should just remake the first doom in proper 3D - they had the forumla right the first time around, why mess with it?

This is a remake of Doom II: Hell on Earth.

18. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 01:41 Cutter

Maybe it's about Thulsa Doom.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 01:32 Agent.X7

After Rage, you'd have to pay me to make me waste my time on another id game.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

16. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 01:19 Spektr

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 23:17:
Wrecked cars? Cranes? Large outdoor areas? It doesn't look like it's set on Mars, that's for sure.

Wow.. Well observed my dear Sherlock... it's because, as somebody pointed out, the action is setting place on earth. How do I know that? Well from expecting a new take on DOOM 2 that was taking place on earth. ( I must admit I didn't recognize earth much at the time) Also from projections I made. Would ID make a new game taking place on Mars again? That would start to get a little repetitive for them and they also need a new environment to show off their new tech.

And no it doesn't look like Doom III at all. Like you pointed out so brilliantly, the action is not set on Mars. It's pretty obvious they are using the same engine as Rage. Especially in the library screenshots with the books. Look so similar that one may wonder what innovation this new game brings in terms of graphics. No new game need bring graphic innovation but it's always nice to have something new to "chew on". Especially when we are talking about Id software games! This said it's the first ID game that seems to be taking place on contemporean earth. Rage being their first game set on earth. So from a design point of view it's still a new challenge for their creative teams, used to chew out hard Sci-Fi environments. Kinda strange by the way, DOOM III is taking place in a science fiction environment, and this, supposedly a follow up, is taking place in an environment that really looks like the present day. The possibility that those are screenshots for a Rage expansion is not to be excluded at this point. A hint for that would be the name of the garage "collision" that would refer to the Mad-maxian gameplay of Rage and the collision of the comet. But I doubt it because the technology in Rage looked more advanced and the architecture less realistic.

I must add that in spite of its shortcomings I loved the gameplay in Rage and I am still thinking this was the best fps to come out in a long while. Playing it awoke some old reflexes from the old school days.

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2012, 01:31.

15. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 00:34 Razumen

So someone pointed out you can see a billboard ad for Doom3 in this pic.

Doesn't really confirm whether these were created for Doom 4 purposes, but I guess it kind of supports it. Still, these look like very early concept art/renders and I wouldn't use them for any kind of judgements.

And yes, to everyone that says it couldn't possibly be Doom because it's on Earth, you obviously never played Doom 2...

14. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 00:00 Trevellian

I like all the idiots that think it couldn't be Doom because it's on Earth.

Doom 2 was called Hell on Earth for a reason, you're all retarded. That is all.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

13. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 28, 2012, 23:54 Razumen

space captain wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 23:40:
Razumen wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 23:32:
As for the Rage hate, I've only played the PS3 demo (which had some pop in, but it wasn't as distracting as some claim), but completely dismissing it because of some texture pop-in and lack of settings is pretty childish. Texture pop in is not new, even on PC games (See Hard Reset and various Unreal Engine games) and many great games don't give you hardly any video settings at all. Sure it's a valid criticism, but not one that completely devalues the game in my book.

you know whats also childish? assuming you know what everyone else is thinking

Not assuming, it's what I hear all the time about Rage here.

12. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 28, 2012, 23:46 NotOneOfUs

SectorEffector wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 23:31:
I like to watch quakecon vids from 96 and think about how good they once were.

Got a link to those videos? Would be interested in seeing them.

11. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 28, 2012, 23:40 space captain

Razumen wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 23:32:
As for the Rage hate, I've only played the PS3 demo (which had some pop in, but it wasn't as distracting as some claim), but completely dismissing it because of some texture pop-in and lack of settings is pretty childish. Texture pop in is not new, even on PC games (See Hard Reset and various Unreal Engine games) and many great games don't give you hardly any video settings at all. Sure it's a valid criticism, but not one that completely devalues the game in my book.

you know whats also childish? assuming you know what everyone else is thinking

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 28, 2012, 23:36 bigspender

those better not be DOOM 4 screenshots.... for starters its on Earth....(if you start trying to bring realism into DEMONS INVADING MARS, then its all wrong)

They should just remake the first doom in proper 3D - they had the forumla right the first time around, why mess with it?

9. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 28, 2012, 23:32 Razumen

Those aren't screenshots from Doom 3, they're taken from some game designer's portfolio website and were posted some 6 weeks ago on a Korean website as well. Of course this is just what I read on Reddit, but I'd have to agree that those shots don't look like anything id would produce, even if the game was Doom on Earth.

8. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 28, 2012, 23:32 SirKnight

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 23:17:
Those screenshots look really dire; certainly much worse than RAGE. And they seem to bare absolutely no relation to the Doom universe. Wrecked cars? Cranes? Large outdoor areas? It doesn't look like it's set on Mars, that's for sure.

I don't think they're genuine, as they look really, really bad... it looks more like a mod for Doom 3. For starters, why would any major gaming company release images as such a low resolution and without more hype behind the reveal?

lol...oh man where do I begin?

Remember Doom 2? Guess what? NOT set on Mars. The full title was Doom 2: Hell on EARTH. So, doom can be set on other places you know. id created doom, not you, so they can have it take place in any damn location they want.

These shots very much look like idTech 5. Just level shots with no "things." If you think this looks like a mod for Doom 3 then you need glasses, or stronger ones. The only way idTech 4 would look like this is if the renderer was completely re-written, since the code is open source now.

Finally, do you not know what LEAKED means? Of course id would not officialy release shots like this.

---

Ah yes, the Blues comment sections. Where the Haterade is given away free and all you can drink...since always.

7. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 28, 2012, 23:31 SectorEffector

Shataan wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 22:49:
After RAGE, DOOM IV would have to be nothing short of mindblowing for me to pop for it. And no, freaking craptastic 4 player mp ala DOOM III..... ain`t gonna cut.

I think iD should close doors and retire.... if RAGE as is was all they could muster.

This.

Seeing Caramack endorse the consoles so much anymore is just sad. I like to watch quakecon vids from 96 and think about how good they once were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

6. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 28, 2012, 23:17 theyarecomingforyou

Those screenshots look really dire; certainly much worse than RAGE. And they seem to bare absolutely no relation to the Doom universe. Wrecked cars? Cranes? Large outdoor areas? It doesn't look like it's set on Mars, that's for sure.

I don't think they're genuine, as they look really, really bad... it looks more like a mod for Doom 3. For starters, why would any major gaming company release images as such a low resolution and without more hype behind the reveal?

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

5. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 28, 2012, 22:49 Shataan

After RAGE, DOOM IV would have to be nothing short of mindblowing for me to pop for it. And no, freaking craptastic 4 player mp ala DOOM III..... ain`t gonna cut.

I think iD should close doors and retire.... if RAGE as is was all they could muster.

84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo