Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied

A bunch of screenshots allegedly from DOOM 4 have surfaced, you can view these over on All Games Beta where they add: "Rumor: Doom 4 cancelled" with no further explanation. This doesn't seem a very substantial rumor, but Game Informer's Jim Reilly tweets it was worthy of debunking: "Bethesda says Doom 4 is not canceled" (thanks Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine). This is not the first rumor about d Software's upcoming shooter sequel that parent Bethesda has addressed in recent months, as in October they denied reports that the game was indefinitely postponed due to problems with the launch of RAGE.

View
84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

44. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 10:08 Agrajag

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 09:16:
But RAGE attempted to have a plot but butchered it beyond belief;

Meh... I thought it was perfectly fine by videogame plot standards... I don't go into most games expecting Academy Award winning plots...

it attempted to do open world but had invisible walls and environments that were entirely linear;

The invisible walls did get to be annoying at times, I'll admit... But, really it didn't bother me most of the time... It didn't feel like GTA or anything no, but then I don't think it was supposed to... It's still first and foremost a FPS game; the "open world" feel was just a bit of a novelty feature, I think... Just like the "crafting" system was a bit of an interesting side-feature, but not particularly critical to the core gameply, and you wouldn't criticize it for not being a good RPG when that wasn't even its intent...

it attempted to revolutionise texturing and instead ended up with some of the worse textures this decade.

I don't really aggree with this, but maybe I've got a different POV, since I don't play most PC games... (I haven't run Windows since 95, so I'm stuck with only what gets released on Linux or Xbox360 games...) For modern PC games, maybe it didn't look that great, but I thought the Xbox version looked pretty damn good... *shrug* In any case, I care far more about enjoyable gameplay than fancy graphics...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 10:03 Dmitri_M

Shineyguy wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 09:30:
Good god man, people are canning this game because of the screenshots taken from a game that's not even near completion yet?

How about we all wait for id to OFFICIALLY release something before critically canning it?

The screenshots look nothing like a Doom game.

I swear some of you have never even played Doom.

If you haven't, and to clue you in, the shots need to be closer to Dead Space than HL2.

I'm not about to dismiss Doom 4 totally, these might even be Rage expansion shots. However if they are related to a new Doom title then I think the reactions around here are understandable.

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2012, 10:09.

42. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 09:46 Shineyguy

You can Can it, or Pan it. "Can it" would imply throwing it into a "Trash Can", or the other "Can" that bodily waste is deposited into.  

41. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 09:37 Verno

Shineyguy wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 09:30:
Good god man, people are canning this game because of the screenshots taken from a game that's not even near completion yet?

How about we all wait for id to OFFICIALLY release something before critically canning it?

Do you mean panning? I am certainly not canning this

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

40. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 09:34 Kajetan

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 09:16:
If the final game bares any relation whatsoever to the images here ...
You DO know, that Doom 4 (if this are real screens) is deep in an early alpha stage, that we probably see only map mockups for testing art design guide lines? "We suggest this map has this suburban style. And then, more hell influence can look like this."

There is a reason publishers and devs fear such leaks. Too many people confuse these early samples with an actual, ready to be released game.

39. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 09:31 Prez

I've been playing some Comanche vs. Hokum and Wing Commander (thank you Good Ole Games!) recently, so when I hear someone say that those screenshots look "bad" I just shake my head at how impossibly high our expectations have become.

No, that's not the only reason. "id''s track record since going over to consoleland is less than stellar to say the least. That factors into peoples' cynicism surely.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 09:30 Shineyguy

37. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 09:16 theyarecomingforyou

Agrajag wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 06:30:
I agree... I don't fully get all the hate it receives... My one and only complaint is about the abrubt ending... (Seriously, that's it? WTF?? And, then we can't even go back into the wasteland after finishing??) But, while actually playing it, I was having a damn blast! But, yeah, that ending sure does leave a sour taste in your mouth, so maybe it just wrecked all the preceding fun gameplay for a lot of people or something...
If the only complaint you had about RAGE was the ending then you and I have very different standards.

I have no problem playing a game that is focused on the gameplay and doesn't care about a plot - I loved Painkiller for exactly that reason. But RAGE attempted to have a plot but butchered it beyond belief; it attempted to do open world but had invisible walls and environments that were entirely linear; it attempted to revolutionise texturing and instead ended up with some of the worse textures this decade. Yet the screenshots here don't even live up to RAGE or Doom 3's incredibly low standards.

If the final game bares any relation whatsoever to the images here then I'm really not interested. That goes 100x if the game is actually going to be limited to 30fps, which is what id Software has explicitly stated.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

36. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 08:57 Kajetan

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 22:29:
Furthermore, sales dropped off the planet after less than 2 weeks. They know they screwed up. Apologists can defend Rage all they want, but we have a disaster here bigger than Invisible War.
According to VGChartz, Rage was sold about 2.5 mio unit across all three major plattforms, only retail, no digital sales.

Which isn't bad. Sure, no CoD-like ultra success, but not bad at all.

35. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 08:52 AdamK47

I'll play it. Chances are I'll also enjoy it. Rage was enjoyable for me.  

34. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 08:05 Prez

Doom 4? Sure I'll have some of that. I really liked Doom 3 - it was an id shooter, which automatically means it's not going to be anything revolutionary in the gameplay department (times have changed, haven't they?) but it was good simple fun, aside form the goofy monster closets anyway, but those were a minor annoyance.

I've got RAGE sitting on my hard drive as yet un-played. Was thinking about trying it today actually. I bought it on a Steam sale for less than 20 bucks I think. Honestly, aside from the 2 or 3 franchises that I love enough to make day one purchases, I hardly see the reason to even take a risk making full-price purchases anymore. The games drop to half-price (or less) so damn quickly that I don't ever have to wait long.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 07:37 Enahs

Ehh, whatever.

I enjoyed Rage. Was it great, no? Was the texture poping shitty? Yes! But to be fair, it was worse at the very start of the game for some reason. Yes, I started getting used to it. But if you load saves up from very start of game to further along at different parts of the levels and play with it, it clearly happens less. Were some textures just bad? Yes!

But over all the game looked really good to me, and felt of good movement which is key to me.

There was nothing revolutionary about it, and the ending was shitty. But it was good solid simple gameplay to me. Not every game has to reinvent a genre.

To each is own. But there is a lot of hating on ID just for the sake of hating on ID.

And yes, played on PC. And bought it on a steam sale for $19 or so.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

32. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 07:22 The Half Elf

Razumen wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 00:34:
So someone pointed out you can see a billboard ad for Doom3 in this pic.

Doesn't really confirm whether these were created for Doom 4 purposes, but I guess it kind of supports it. Still, these look like very early concept art/renders and I wouldn't use them for any kind of judgements.

And yes, to everyone that says it couldn't possibly be Doom because it's on Earth, you obviously never played Doom 2...

What makes it NOT a Doom game is the 2 Golden Arches in that picture. Don't think McDonald's is going to have a deal with Beth/id to place their stores in a game about demons invading earth.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

31. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 06:59 Ray Marden

I hope those are fakes and/or having nothing to do with Doom.

Some do look really crude, but others do look like the crap Rage puts out. If these are from D4, they should cancel the game - it does not feel like it fits in with the portions of Doom that I love and looks like more cluttered, low-resolution, confined, lifeless Rage levels.

Do they even understand what people (or at least I) loved about Doom? It certainly wasn't about having a darkness engine or shooting stuff in a burned down city...
Can you imagine how boring the monsters would be?
Horribly unimpressed,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

30. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 06:46 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 04:40:
InBlack wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 04:12:
Im stoked. All those open spaces ready to be filled with hundreds of monsters ready to be mowed down... Im reminded of some of the better levels from Doom2. As for the setting, Doom is set in a futuristic setting but even in the future, cranes still look like cranes, skyscrapers still look like skycrapers, and containers still look like....well you get my point.

I doubt id can really fuck up Doom4. I mean after all the backlash with Doom3 they would have to be retarded not to listen to their fans...

The problem is that literally nothing in those shots looks even remotely futuristic. Not the vehicles, buildings, signs or anything. That's a stark contrast from the previous games.

As for id not fucking up Doom 4... you really believe that? After Doom 3 and RAGE, it's become eminently clear that id has dropped the ball. RAGE was a flop, id Tech 5 was a flop and Doom 3 was a flop amongst Doom and Quake fans. Quake Live is the only notable success they've had in years and that's just a slightly upgraded version of Q3.

Sure you have a point, id has gone downhill ever since Doom3. Im still cautiosly optimistic about their Doom franchise. Its their baby so to speak.

Lets just say I dont want to jump on the HATE bandwagon that some graphics whores around here (you know who you are Crysis fanbois) are basing on a few leaked screenshots.

As for the setting making sense. WTF??? This is DOOM. It doesnt have to make sense. Did chainsaw and sawed off double-barrel shotgunw wielding space marines make any sense???

Maybe the demonic hordes went back in time to invade earth??

I have a nifty blue line!

29. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 06:35 Dmitri_M

That does not look like the Doom with all know and love. It looks like RAGE + HL2. The screens look legit, the clouds look straight out of RAGE. Urg. Terrible, ID is done.  

28. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 06:30 Agrajag

Spektr wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 01:19:
I must add that in spite of its shortcomings I loved the gameplay in Rage and I am still thinking this was the best fps to come out in a long while. Playing it awoke some old reflexes from the old school days.

I agree... I don't fully get all the hate it receives... My one and only complaint is about the abrubt ending... (Seriously, that's it? WTF?? And, then we can't even go back into the wasteland after finishing??) But, while actually playing it, I was having a damn blast! But, yeah, that ending sure does leave a sour taste in your mouth, so maybe it just wrecked all the preceding fun gameplay for a lot of people or something...

27. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 05:57 CommunistHamster

Looks near future, about 20-30 years. Futuristic cars and tanks and other small touches, it's not like they're going to demolish all the old buildings in the industrial zones just to put up shiny warehouses.

Quite a half-life 2 vibe actually. I'm quite looking forward to it based on these screens.

26. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 04:55 CJ_Parker

If they really cancelled it I'd shrug and move on. The last must have id game was Q3A and that was about a decade ago. id has become obsolete. Cancel Doom 4 all you want. Who gives a fuck?

25. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 04:50 theyarecomingforyou

Drezden wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 00:00:
I like all the idiots that think it couldn't be Doom because it's on Earth.

Doom 2 was called Hell on Earth for a reason, you're all retarded. That is all.
Let's be realistic... Doom II didn't look any different from the original Doom, despite being called "Hell On Earth". Some of that was obviously limitations of the technology at the time but the screenshots here look like a generic modern shooter. They have no character.

Doom 4 was meant to have a much greater focus on graphics, which would require it to run at 30Hz instead of 60Hz. But the screenshots here look worse than RAGE, with incredibly washed out textures, low polygon objects, flat lighting, etc. After the disaster that was RAGE id Software really needs to step up its game... the screenshots here show absolutely no evidence of that.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo