Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied

A bunch of screenshots allegedly from DOOM 4 have surfaced, you can view these over on All Games Beta where they add: "Rumor: Doom 4 cancelled" with no further explanation. This doesn't seem a very substantial rumor, but Game Informer's Jim Reilly tweets it was worthy of debunking: "Bethesda says Doom 4 is not canceled" (thanks Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine). This is not the first rumor about d Software's upcoming shooter sequel that parent Bethesda has addressed in recent months, as in October they denied reports that the game was indefinitely postponed due to problems with the launch of RAGE.

View
84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

84. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 4, 2012, 01:14 LordLaggart

There are a few crappy textures in the game, but as a whole, the game has pretty solid graphics. It's one thing to not like a game, but I see the same blowhards saying every game sucks, and that every game producer needs to go out of business. Give me a break  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

83. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 3, 2012, 09:45 Agrajag

Razumen wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 06:54:
Have you even seen what I'm talking about? The entire screen in that arcade game is literally ripped from the game itself, not only can you see a very recognizable doom level in the background, but the hud is there with the doom guy's face and everything. About the only thing different is that you're punching a turkey instead of an imp.

Well, that and the name of the game... See, it's one thing to show graphics from an old Doom game, but it's quite another to blatently call it "Doom", thereby yelling at the player that "Hey, remember Doom is just a game franchise, and you're just playing another sequel in it right now!"...

And yeah, id references their own games in their sequels, which kind of goes to show you how they're not really after a 100% super serious tone, but they also generally do a better job at it than the rather blatant Doom 3 billboard in the screenshot.

Exactly... Most of their references are either very hidden easter eggs that take a lot of explicit work to find (ie: not going to be run into in normal gameplay), or are much more subtle...

(However, someone pointed out that they apparently did have a poster for "Rage 2" hanging somewhere inside the world of Rage, which is rather disappointing...)

82. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 3, 2012, 06:54 Razumen

Agrajag wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 19:53:
Not really, no... "Super Turkey Puncher" is not a direct reference to "Doom" the game franchise...

Have you even seen what I'm talking about? The entire screen in that arcade game is literally ripped from the game itself, not only can you see a very recognizable doom level in the background, but the hud is there with the doom guy's face and everything. About the only thing different is that you're punching a turkey instead of an imp.

Sure, games can exist in the fictional world of another game, but it seriously risks breaking the fourth wall and making you realize you're just playing a game when you maybe should be worrying about a zombie breathing down your neck. If the reference game is from an actual series than it's even worse.

And yeah, id references their own games in their sequels, which kind of goes to show you how they're not really after a 100% super serious tone, but they also generally do a better job at it than the rather blatant Doom 3 billboard in the screenshot.

81. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 3, 2012, 02:32 Creston

LordLaggart wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 00:27:
I would agree with the graphics comments before the first couple patches came out, but after that, Id Tech 5 is amazing provided you have a rig that can run it.

My rig can run Rage more than easily enough, and even with everything set to max through the console (before id wisely took that ability away...) the textures still look like shit. And while the patches did help the occasional graphical glitch that I had, they haven't done shit for the fact that some of their textures are like 4x4 and were apparently ported straight from Doom. The original Doom, that is.

But you're right, if someone thinks differently about a game than you do, they must automatically be trolls. It's of course impossible that people might just have different opinions.

Creston

80. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 3, 2012, 00:27 LordLaggart

It's been funny reading everyone bashing on Rage and it's terrible graphics and terrible gameplay. I would agree with the graphics comments before the first couple patches came out, but after that, Id Tech 5 is amazing provided you have a rig that can run it. As far as gameplay, nothing crazy cool about it, but it was still enjoyable. The same could be said for Doom 3. I think the fear of the Zombie Apocalypse is overrated. I think most gamers are turning in to angry trolls.  

79. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 2, 2012, 19:53 Agrajag

Razumen wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 19:04:
Like I said, (maybe you don't like to read?) they've referenced DOOM in DOOM 3 man, it's been done before, and they'll likely do it again, whoop-dee-fucking-doo.

Not really, no... "Super Turkey Puncher" is not a direct reference to "Doom" the game franchise...

And I hate to break it to you, but referencing any game inside of a game is immersion breaking, whether or not it's part of the same series.

I don't see that at all... Why can't other games exist in the realm of the fictional world of another game?

78. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 2, 2012, 19:04 Razumen

Agrajag wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 07:00:
Um, no, I rather think it's you who are missing something... I already said it would be perfectly expected for them to put a reference to Doom in a DIFFERENT game of theirs (such as Rage)... But, putting a Doom reference in a Doom game? Tacky, lame, and immersion breaking... References to OTHER games? Fine; you're not playing those games right now!

Like I said, (maybe you don't like to read?) they've referenced DOOM in DOOM 3 man, it's been done before, and they'll likely do it again, whoop-dee-fucking-doo.

And I hate to break it to you, but referencing any game inside of a game is immersion breaking, whether or not it's part of the same series.

77. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 2, 2012, 16:47 Creston

Agrajag wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 15:49:
it hardly seems fair to compare a sequel in a well-established and highly popular franchise with a completely unknown new game...

On the PC, a new id software IP would have sold regardless. They're id software. These guys basically invented the FPS. Had they focused Rage on the strength of the PC, I have no doubt it would have been a better game and it would have likely sold better too.

But because they (apparently) thought they could sell millions more by going console, they gimped the game for the PC, they had a disastrous launch, broke several of their promises (id studio being the most prominent) and their good name got badly tarnished.

I hope it was worth it for them.

Creston

76. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 2, 2012, 15:49 Agrajag

Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 15:23:
Seeing as how Doom 3 sold double that, on the PC only, id's decision to "We're going where the money is, consoles baby! FUCK the pc!" is REALLLLLY paying off for them.

If you were comparing to Doom4, then you'd have a better point... But, it hardly seems fair to compare a sequel in a well-established and highly popular franchise with a completely unknown new game... GTA4 also sold about double what Red Dead Redemption did, but that doesn't make any statement about how good RDR is in comparison or how good/bad the sales numbers are for RDR...

75. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 2, 2012, 15:23 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 08:57:
Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 22:29:
Furthermore, sales dropped off the planet after less than 2 weeks. They know they screwed up. Apologists can defend Rage all they want, but we have a disaster here bigger than Invisible War.
According to VGChartz, Rage was sold about 2.5 mio unit across all three major plattforms, only retail, no digital sales.

Which isn't bad. Sure, no CoD-like ultra success, but not bad at all.

Seeing as how Doom 3 sold double that, on the PC only, id's decision to "We're going where the money is, consoles baby! FUCK the pc!" is REALLLLLY paying off for them.

Creston

74. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 2, 2012, 13:00 RailWizard

Yawn.. I swore off iD after quake 4. I never touched rage, not even the free version. It will take a LOT to get me to touch this.

edit: I should add that this is from someone that holds the old iD games in the highest of reverence, as many here do most likely. Just to be clear.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2012, 13:10.

73. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 2, 2012, 11:03 Wash Washburne

DooM 4 Ooo so exciting...Not!! So far anything that they've done wasn't worth a dime, so meh, it will fail as Rage and other flimsy titles have failed....no hope and no faith in Bethesda/ID. Sorry folks, burned me too many times and took too much of my money for way too little fun that I got in return.  

72. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 2, 2012, 07:00 Agrajag

Razumen wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 22:26:
id's latest games have always contained hidden and sometimes not so hidden references to their past games. Doom 3 had the Turbo Turkey Puncher arcade game that referenced the original Doom's graphics, Rage had the hidden Wolfenstein room (among others) and Quake had that hidden puffer fish that referenced Commander Keen.

So, basically, you don't know what you're talking about

Um, no, I rather think it's you who are missing something... I already said it would be perfectly expected for them to put a reference to Doom in a DIFFERENT game of theirs (such as Rage)... But, putting a Doom reference in a Doom game? Tacky, lame, and immersion breaking... References to OTHER games? Fine; you're not playing those games right now!

71. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 1, 2012, 22:26 Razumen

Agrajag wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 16:01:
afkafkafk wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 15:20:
To those of you that says the Doom 3 billboard makes this thing fake... who's to say that a Doom game can't reference itself?

Obviously it CAN, but I just think that would be really lame... That sort of thing is ok for a humorous sort of game, but it doesn't fit with a serious horror game... This is Doom not Duke Nukem!

id's latest games have always contained hidden and sometimes not so hidden references to their past games. Doom 3 had the Turbo Turkey Puncher arcade game that referenced the original Doom's graphics, Rage had the hidden Wolfenstein room (among others) and Quake had that hidden puffer fish that referenced Commander Keen.

So, basically, you don't know what you're talking about

70. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 1, 2012, 16:01 Agrajag

afkafkafk wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 15:20:
To those of you that says the Doom 3 billboard makes this thing fake... who's to say that a Doom game can't reference itself?

Obviously it CAN, but I just think that would be really lame... That sort of thing is ok for a humorous sort of game, but it doesn't fit with a serious horror game... This is Doom not Duke Nukem!

I can imagine that the protagonist this time is some sort of nerd or geek, who sees the world around him changing as characters from a game is trying to take over his dimension.

Oh, god, I hope not... That sounds horrible!

69. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 1, 2012, 15:56 Agrajag

Beamer wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 15:04:
they'd just have to let Zeni publish the title.

Ah, I had thought I remembered them saying it was going to be kept in-house within Zenimax... I must've misremembered or they've since widened it to only needing to be published by them...

68. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 1, 2012, 15:20 afkafkafk

What if Doom 4 is supposed to be set in our reality (where at one time there were billboards for Doom 3), and now demons are trying to break in?

I can imagine that the protagonist this time is some sort of nerd or geek, who sees the world around him changing as characters from a game is trying to take over his dimension.

It doesn't break the immersion as you would say. It's just another way to weave a the fiction into reality. Sure, it might be cheesy but few games have done this.

I can only think of something like that "Gamer" movie of the top of my head which tries to blend fiction into reality.

67. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 1, 2012, 15:04 Beamer

Agrajag wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 14:48:
Shineyguy wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 14:40:
id has always licensed their engines; they make a great deal of money off of it.

Yeah, they used to when they were independent, but they said they were not going to for the Rage engine, but were keeping it for in-house use (Zenimax-owned companies) only...

This isn't entirely true. They stopped licensing when they were independent - id Tech 4 is all pre Zenimax. And they've said they aren't really interested in licensing id Tech 5, though they've backtracked a bit and said they will but only for games published by Zeni, which isn't the same as in-house Zeni-owned companies. Valve would use id Tech 5 if they wanted to, they'd just have to let Zeni publish the title.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

66. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 1, 2012, 14:48 Agrajag

id has always licensed their engines; they make a great deal of money off of it.

Yeah, they used to when they were independent, but they said they were not going to for the Rage engine, but were keeping it for in-house use (Zenimax-owned companies) only...

65. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Mar 1, 2012, 14:47 Beamer

Spektr wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 09:22:
Maybe those are screenshots from Half life 3? :p

Seriously, I read at the Rage engine is not competitive. How relevant is that comment? Why would an engine need to be competitive? Most developers make their own engines nowadays. Who licenses their technology nowadays, except epic and to a lesser extent crytech?
Is the skyrim engine even remotely competitive to the first crysis engine?
Personally I am tired of seeing the same engine over and over again. ( yes the Unreal 3 engine ) With its limitations the rage engine was a departure from the conformism that has pervaded in the video game business lately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech

And this does not include the many games/mods that use the open sourced versions of the previous engines (id Tech 3-1)

id didn't really license id Tech 4 and has said they won't license id Tech 5. The id Tech 4 games are all id games, even if made by a different developer. The exception is Brink, but Splash Damage had already done Enemy Territory...

id never put an emphasis on designing tools and building support staff. Epic did. This is why everyone uses Unreal; the tools are easy to use, the support is strong enough to answer more or less any question you have before you waste time trying to solve it yourself, and since virtually everyone knows it hiring is quick and easy. If you take a different, unknown engine you need to train your people, waste months while they fumble with it, reduce the candidate pool, etc.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo