Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games

EA's Origin service can automatically find EA games on your system and add them to your Origin profile, reports Day One Patch, as a user reports finding a copy of Dead Space 2 purchased through Steam in their Origin account. In reporting this news, Joystiq has declared the process benign: "Origin is known to check out the file names on users' computers -- without reading or transmitting any private information back to EA, of course -- and it now uses that power to streamline your EA games lists. In other words, EA is using its power for good. And to better market its own titles."

View
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

98. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 29, 2012, 09:40 Prez

...keep on raging about how evil EA is and how they're somehow equivalent to rapists and whatnot.

THAT would be a strawman. Thanks for the illustration.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

97. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 29, 2012, 08:32 Beamer

Dev wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 05:39:
Antdude wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 02:50:
Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:47:

I have a hard time hating something that means so little to me. If you exclude the early NHL and NFS games I can't name any EA games I've played off the top of my head. Were the Crusader games EA?

Yes, they were developed by Origin(the brilliant games company, not the spyware/malware on your computer now), and published by EA.

Origin also created the Ultima, Wing Commander, System Shock, Privateer, Jane's Combat Simulations franchises and a lot more great titles. EA killed Origin as a company a few years after Ultima Online shipped.

For that, plus Westwood, Bullfrog, Maxis and many other companies they bought and destroyed, EA can burn in Hell in my book.
Dude stop, you are going to make me cry. SO MANY MANY good games back in the day from companies that got gobbled and killed by EA. Those crusader no regret/no remorse were AWESOME games. Privateer 1 was an AWESOME GAME, no space flight sim since has had a realistic damage modeling like that did, they removed it for priv 2. C&C used to be good games.

You know that Privateer and the Crusader games were both started and finished while Origin was owned by EA, right?

EA bought Origin in 1992. The games you're discussing came out in the mid 90s. EA disbanded Origin in 2004.

Wing Commander and Ultima are the only really good non-EA games they made, all their other, most memorable stuff came long after the EA acquisition.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

96. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 29, 2012, 07:47 Teddy

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 16:38:
Teddy wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 15:28:
You'd have to push pretty damn hard in a court of law to prove any form of damage actually occurred from this to gain any measure of recompense.
The privacy act and the law governing computer misuse here in Canada covers things that you don't specifically authorize on your PC. So, if they are indeed scanning your PC for it, they're breaking the law and committing a criminal act. Probably in Germany too, canada's privacy law is modeled after germany's. Damage doesn't matter, all that's required it intent or action without the users consent.

Then take them to court and try it. I don't believe for one second that you'd even come close to winning. If anything you'd just be throwing more precedent behind the legality of EULA's when you come to court with the "I know they told me but I didn't bother to read it." defense. Works well in contract disputes too, I hear.

What's more, you don't even have any evidence that it's actually happened. You're just relying on hearsay and presumption. Has is not occurred to anyone that they got the information directly from Steam/Valve? As in the company? Just because you bought an EA game through Steam doesn't change the fact that you bought the game FROM EA, THROUGH Steam. Guaranteed EA has a record of the sale.

It's clearly not searching the registry for games, nor is it searching your HD, despite the whines of the masses. Origin came up with games that I've never had installed on this machine, ever, ones that also have exactly zero registry entries.

For all we know, Valve gave them the information necessary to do this. But hey, by all means, keep on raging about how evil EA is and how they're somehow equivalent to rapists and whatnot. Don't let facts get in the way of your rhetoric.

95. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 29, 2012, 05:39 Dev

Antdude wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 02:50:

I have a hard time hating something that means so little to me. If you exclude the early NHL and NFS games I can't name any EA games I've played off the top of my head. Were the Crusader games EA?

Yes, they were developed by Origin(the brilliant games company, not the spyware/malware on your computer now), and published by EA.

Origin also created the Ultima, Wing Commander, System Shock, Privateer, Jane's Combat Simulations franchises and a lot more great titles. EA killed Origin as a company a few years after Ultima Online shipped.

For that, plus Westwood, Bullfrog, Maxis and many other companies they bought and destroyed, EA can burn in Hell in my book.
Dude stop, you are going to make me cry. SO MANY MANY good games back in the day from companies that got gobbled and killed by EA. Those crusader no regret/no remorse were AWESOME games. Privateer 1 was an AWESOME GAME, no space flight sim since has had a realistic damage modeling like that did, they removed it for priv 2. C&C used to be good games.

94. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 29, 2012, 02:50 Antdude

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2012, 02:56.

93. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 22:17 Saboth

Well, glad I never installed Origin. Just because they say they aren't doing anything doesn't mean they aren't, or won't in the future. Fuck Mass Effect 3.  

92. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 21:37 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 20:27:

AAAAND it hasn't seemed to make a bit of difference when it comes to things like **AA type organizations (I think canada has one of its very own, CRIA or some such). Last I heard canada was going to pass a crazy draconian copyright law for those groups.
Annnnndddd nothing has happened and continues to not happen. And last time we looked, the bill was dead and stalled again.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

91. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 20:27 Dev

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 18:42:
Julio wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 17:59:
And there's next to no chance EA is going to get punished for it, sadly. Politicians are bought & sold by companies.

Why don't you ask them how well that's worked in canada for them so far? Not very. Unlike the US, "bribing" by campaign contributions is illegal here.

AAAAND it hasn't seemed to make a bit of difference when it comes to things like **AA type organizations (I think canada has one of its very own, CRIA or some such). Last I heard canada was going to pass a crazy draconian copyright law for those groups.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2012, 20:38.

90. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 20:09 Dades

Funkinator wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 15:41:
I dislike EA.

I wasn’t thrilled with the idea of Steam. I adopted it slowly. I came to the opinion the Steam really was about making a better distribution service for PC games. It is better than Gamestop or Best Buy. And bonus Valve made money because of their prescience.

Next Valve makes good games. Certainly they make them to make money, but they also make games that are meant to be good games. There is pride and care in the games they provide.

Finally Valve has lifted up the PC gaming community. They have provided new avenues for Independents and a given life to PC gaming.

EA has the reverse image. EA seems to drain the soul of things it touches. The latest to succumb is Bioware. EA’s philosophy is to make money. Is the game good or not? meh.

And Valve is run by a fat nerd. And EA is run by this guy.

This post needs to be forever quoted for all of the EA sympathizers.

89. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 19:14 Steele Johnson

So does that mean that both apps will try to patch the game if you have both apps open at once? lol  

88. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 19:14 ochentay4

Sooo, Origin is crap, EA is the devil, Steam is excellent, Valve rocks. Boycott EA so they learn. Thats it.  

87. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 19:03 Prez

Heh heh. "Orifice". Heh heh. Grin  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

86. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 19:00 Tanto Edge

While Steam and Orifice grow larger and larger, I don't ever see any headlines regarding groups fighting for our rights.
I occasionally get headlines about people getting screwed, or screwed and rescued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

85. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 18:42 Mashiki Amiketo

Julio wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 17:59:
And there's next to no chance EA is going to get punished for it, sadly. Politicians are bought & sold by companies.

Why don't you ask them how well that's worked in canada for them so far? Not very. Unlike the US, "bribing" by campaign contributions is illegal here.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

84. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 18:35 xXBatmanXx

shinchan0s wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 18:33:
I don't think I would be comfortable with that.

My thoughts exactly.

Glad I don't use the Origin service.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

83. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 18:33 shinchan0s

I don't think I would be comfortable with that.  

82. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 17:59 Julio

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 16:38:
The privacy act and the law governing computer misuse here in Canada covers things that you don't specifically authorize on your PC. So, if they are indeed scanning your PC for it, they're breaking the law and committing a criminal act.

81. Re: agreed..... Feb 28, 2012, 17:59 Eldaron Imotholin

Shataan wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 17:48:
they are breaking the Law. I didn`t give consent to start adding my Steam games to their list B/S.

Cry me a fucking river.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

80. agreed..... Feb 28, 2012, 17:48 Shataan

they are breaking the Law. I didn`t give consent to start adding my Steam games to their list B/S.  

79. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 16:38 Mashiki Amiketo

Teddy wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 15:28:
You'd have to push pretty damn hard in a court of law to prove any form of damage actually occurred from this to gain any measure of recompense.
The privacy act and the law governing computer misuse here in Canada covers things that you don't specifically authorize on your PC. So, if they are indeed scanning your PC for it, they're breaking the law and committing a criminal act. Probably in Germany too, canada's privacy law is modeled after germany's. Damage doesn't matter, all that's required it intent or action without the users consent.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo