Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games

EA's Origin service can automatically find EA games on your system and add them to your Origin profile, reports Day One Patch, as a user reports finding a copy of Dead Space 2 purchased through Steam in their Origin account. In reporting this news, Joystiq has declared the process benign: "Origin is known to check out the file names on users' computers -- without reading or transmitting any private information back to EA, of course -- and it now uses that power to streamline your EA games lists. In other words, EA is using its power for good. And to better market its own titles."

View
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

78. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 16:36 jdreyer

Would it kill them to add a popup window asking if the user would like to this? It sounds like it just does it.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 16:34 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 13:44:
I'm sure those bugs will hit me next time I try to play Mass Effect 1. I never tried it with the DLC although I bought the DLC when it went on sale after I played ME1.
Jot or print this down for future reference:
Assuming you're using x64(XP, Vista or Win7) in some flavor
Otherwise you can omit the *Wow6432node* These are reg_sz entries(default), don't use a 64bit dword the game will crash.

ME CD key store:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BioWare\Mass Effect\ergc

BDTS Key store:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Bring Down the Sky\ergc

Pinnacle station seems to install properly, but if it doesn't just swap out Bdts's name for Pinnacle's and it should work.

ME2 Key store: for anyone looking for it
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Mass Effect 2\ergc

I'm sure you can already tell why BDTS seems to fuckup so easily. Also, it may or maynot require stupid things like (tm) in the key after electronic arts depending on the packager, and the version of ME you have, including the patched version.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

76. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:52 Prez

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 15:45:
Prez wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 15:42:
The term "strawman" originates from the idea of the strawman attack dummies you see in every RPG tutorial. You construct dummies in the likeness of your enemy, but it is not the enemy, since a real enemy would fight back and be more of a danger. In the context of debating, a "strawman" is an argument you construct yourself to resemble your opponent's position, but altered, simplified, misrepresented, or otherwise made to be less defensible than what your opponent is actually saying. You defeat your opponents weaker, less valid, imaginary argument and claim victory.

Not saying anyone is doing this here, but it is an extremely common internet debating tactic.

Prez, I disagree with you but have nothing to back it up, thus I'll simply call your post a strawman.

And thusly I am defeated. Sigh

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

75. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:51 Mr. Tact

A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

74. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:45 nin

Prez wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 15:42:
The term "strawman" originates from the idea of the strawman attack dummies you see in every RPG tutorial. You construct dummies in the likeness of your enemy, but it is not the enemy, since a real enemy would fight back and be more of a danger. In the context of debating, a "strawman" is an argument you construct yourself to resemble your opponent's position, but altered, simplified, misrepresented, or otherwise made to be less defensible than what your opponent is actually saying. You defeat your opponents imaginary, less valid, imaginary argument and claim victory.

Not saying anyone is doing this here, but it is an extremely common internet debating tactic.

Prez, I disagree with you but have nothing to back it up, thus I'll simply call your post a strawman.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

73. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:42 Prez

The term "strawman" originates from the idea of the strawman attack dummies you see in every RPG tutorial. You construct dummies in the likeness of your enemy, but it is not the enemy, since a real enemy would fight back and be more of a danger. In the context of debating, a "strawman" is an argument you construct yourself to resemble your opponent's position, but altered, simplified, misrepresented, or otherwise made to be less defensible than what your opponent is actually saying. You defeat your opponent's weaker, less valid, imaginary argument and claim victory.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2012, 15:54.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

72. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:41 DarkCntry

Alamar wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 15:19:
DarkCntry wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:38:
That said, you are aware that the only way to have privacy online is to not be online, right? If you don't believe that, and constitute it as a strawman, then well, there's no hope for you.

I admit my ignorance as to what the 'strawman argument' is, but will you admit that you don't know what the word hope means? : )

Hope implies the results of the future, not the present... You mean it as an insult, but I'm allowed to call it out; like fixing grammar in a post about poor grammar : )

-Alamar

There is no facepalm large enough to convey the level of "WTF" is in this entire post...

Look, you brought up an argument that no one was arguing, hence the strawman...

It might help if you were intending to 'fix my grammar', that you might understand what it is you're trying to fix first....

71. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:41 Funkinator

I dislike EA.

I wasn’t thrilled with the idea of Steam. I adopted it slowly. I came to the opinion the Steam really was about making a better distribution service for PC games. It is better than Gamestop or Best Buy. And bonus Valve made money because of their prescience.

Next Valve makes good games. Certainly they make them to make money, but they also make games that are meant to be good games. There is pride and care in the games they provide.

Finally Valve has lifted up the PC gaming community. They have provided new avenues for Independents and a given life to PC gaming.

EA has the reverse image. EA seems to drain the soul of things it touches. The latest to succumb is Bioware. EA’s philosophy is to make money. Is the game good or not? meh.

And Valve is run by a fat nerd. And EA is run by this guy.

70. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:28 Teddy

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:35:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:33:
Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:31:

Is a EULA binding if I never read it? Many law professors and judges say that it can't be binding if people are expected to never read it. It's still a legal gray area.

Creston
No. Neither is the part about waiving your right to a trial or court and going directly to binding arbitration, at least not here. But that's in their eula too.

Oh yeah, they could put in their EULA that they have the right to come over whenever they want to and rape my family. Somehow I doubt that that'd be considered okay.

Just because they put shit in their EULA doesn't make it automatic law, even though certain corrupt asshole judges are trying their very fucking hardest to make it so.

Creston

Pretty heavily leaning on a strawman there. No, they cannot create an EULA that gives them the right to commit a crime against you (ie. rape). That doesn't mean they can't create one that gives them the right to do something that is not a criminal act. (ie. scanning your Hard Drive for EA games to provide links through their own service for games you already own).

You'd have to push pretty damn hard in a court of law to prove any form of damage actually occurred from this to gain any measure of recompense.

69. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:19 Alamar

That said, you are aware that the only way to have privacy online is to not be online, right? If you don't believe that, and constitute it as a strawman, then well, there's no hope for you.

I admit my ignorance as to what the 'strawman argument' is, but will you admit that you don't know what the word hope means? : )

Hope implies the results of the future, not the present... You mean it as an insult, but I'm allowed to call it out; like fixing grammar in a post about poor grammar : )

-Alamar

68. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:14 Dev

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:16:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:14:
Don't forget the "we will remove your account and access to your games if you do not login to Origin for 2 years"

I can't say whether that will happen with certainty. I'm pretty sure it WILL, because it's EA. Fuck, they'd gladly shut down everyone's account if said account hasn't bought a new game in the last seven days.

But until the two years have passed and that's actually occured, we can't hold it against them yet. Let's be fair. Besides, there's plenty of other bullshit to hate them for.

Creston
Yes we can. They say they "WILL" remove, not MAY remove. Check the wording that EA has in there. There's a difference. If they said "may" then that would be leaving them a legal loophole in case they ever decided they need to. Even Valve says they "may" remove, so they can remove cheaters. But when EA says "will" that means that they are declaring that they will certainly do it to any accounts not accessed in 2 years.

67. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:09 Alamar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:44:
EA has a very long, nearly two decades long history of fucking people right in the face. Then pissing on them, and telling them that it was their hearts desire.

Hey now... some people like this kind of thing, so let's not judge ; )

-Alamar

66. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:04 DarkCntry

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:44:
Beelzebud wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:32:
It's not a strawman. My PC is my private property. EA has no right to sniff the contents of my hard drive, so Origin does not get installed on my machine. And no, merely connecting to the internet is not an invasion of privacy. Speaking of strawmen...

Perhaps you don't know what a strawman argument is....

Yes, only hope lies with those that argue in favor of corporations invading our privacy.

Ok, so maybe you do know what strawman means, you seem to be using it an awful lot here...

65. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:44 Beelzebud

It's not a strawman. My PC is my private property. EA has no right to sniff the contents of my hard drive, so Origin does not get installed on my machine. And no, merely connecting to the internet is not an invasion of privacy. Speaking of strawmen...

Yes, only hope lies with those that argue in favor of corporations invading our privacy.

64. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:38 Beamer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:52:
Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:47:
But the giant amount of animosity is what I don't get. It's the exact same thing.

.... EA seems boring but totally ignorable.

I have a hard time hating something that means so little to me. ...
Just snipped some stuff out. It's not the westwood/origin/etc stuff that pisses people off. It's how they treat people that pisses people off. And not just their customers, but their employees. If you live up in Canadaland, you know this it gets passed through the industry very quickly. EA is a sweatshop up here.

Right.
Like I said, it wasn't that I didn't think people should hate EA, it was that I didn't remember why. Most of the examples I could come up with were from before EA was what it is now (ie before Riticiello), and no longer seemed to matter.

EA, as a whole, no longer seems to matter. They don't make games I want to play. I'm not going to spend time getting furious at them. I'm especially not going to go off the handle on them for things I'll allow from other companies. I may disprove of it, but I won't rage at about it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

63. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:38 DarkCntry

62. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:32 Beelzebud

DarkCntry wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:24:
Beelzebud wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:11:
You honestly don't mind that EA scans the contents of your hard drive? Some of us don't like that at all, and look at it for exactly what it is: An invasion of privacy.

While not going to champion EA's actions, I will say that if you don't think just connecting to the Internet as an invasion of privacy, then you're just being funny...

When you buy an EA game, is it also okay for them to come in your house, while you're at work, and put all EA Games on their branded EA shelf? I think not.

I really hope this analogy was in jest and not fashioned to prove a point, otherwise you're just going to be slapped with a strawman label...

61. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:29 BIGtrouble77

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:09:
B) Destroyed well-loved game studios

I still have not forgiven them for killing off Origin Systems. Then the ultimate insult was turing what was left of Origin into this piece of shit distribution system.

60. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:24 DarkCntry

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:11:
You honestly don't mind that EA scans the contents of your hard drive? Some of us don't like that at all, and look at it for exactly what it is: An invasion of privacy.

While not going to champion EA's actions, I will say that if you don't think just connecting to the Internet as an invasion of privacy, then you're just being funny...

When you buy an EA game, is it also okay for them to come in your house, while you're at work, and put all EA Games on their branded EA shelf? I think not.

I really hope this analogy was in jest and not fashioned to prove a point, otherwise you're just going to be slapped with a strawman label...

59. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:23 Creston

Moog wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:20:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 13:41:
Just think...in 6mo they could kill the ME3 multiplayer servers. Didn't EA do that with one of their sports games? Or was it 9months?

EA did that with Mercenaries 2, switching off their online service about 18 months after the game launched, preventing you from playing co-op ever again as they provided no direct IP connectivity!

Hilariously, I notice that you can still buy Mercs2 on Origin

http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/en_GB/pd/productID.106153100/sac.true

where they still advertise the online co-op feature!

I loved that game in co-op

It's SO BAFFLING that people hate EA! Rolleyes

Creston

118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo