Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games

EA's Origin service can automatically find EA games on your system and add them to your Origin profile, reports Day One Patch, as a user reports finding a copy of Dead Space 2 purchased through Steam in their Origin account. In reporting this news, Joystiq has declared the process benign: "Origin is known to check out the file names on users' computers -- without reading or transmitting any private information back to EA, of course -- and it now uses that power to streamline your EA games lists. In other words, EA is using its power for good. And to better market its own titles."

View
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

58. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:23 Creston

Dev wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 13:44:
MS VLK eula's actually DO say they have a right to come inspect your business whenever they want for compliance. They can and will fine businesses for having extra copies beyond the VLK allowance. If a business refuses the fine, MS can refuse permission for that company to use any MS titles, or take other steps. There's even an 800 number to call and report an employer not in compliance with license allowances, complete with cash rewards. This is even occasionally advertised on local radio stations.

That's not really the EULA that gives them that right, actually. It's in there because of lawyers, but as a company, you agree to be audited if you sign up for seat-licensing (or the myriad other ways MS does licensing.)

If you were to buy your products individually and install them with individual registration keys, MS could jump up and down till they turned blue, and you would in no way be required to give them access to check your systems. (physically, anyway. I mean, you're not obligated to give them access to your facilities. They can, of course, still use the whole activation thing to see if your copy is genuine.)

Due to various circumstances, I'm currently acting as the temporary software manager for my company, and the few seat licensing agreements that we've agreed to all include a "You agree to be audited for compliance with the requirements of the license" clause in the contract.

It's a trade-off you make for the ease of a seat-license. (And the discount that usually goes along with it.)

That said, there's an agency/company, whatever it is, the anti-software-piracy something or other, that apparently has the authority to come into your company ON BEHALF of a software vendor, and check your licenses as well. I guess there's probably state laws in effect for those guys or something. Haven't run into that particular issue yet.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:20 Moog

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 13:41:
Just think...in 6mo they could kill the ME3 multiplayer servers. Didn't EA do that with one of their sports games? Or was it 9months?

EA did that with Mercenaries 2, switching off their online service about 18 months after the game launched, preventing you from playing co-op ever again as they provided no direct IP connectivity!

Hilariously, I notice that you can still buy Mercs2 on Origin

http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/en_GB/pd/productID.106153100/sac.true

where they still advertise the online co-op feature!

I loved that game in co-op

56. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:16 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:14:
Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:09:
That's not even taking into account the Origin horseshit like people having to wait WEEKS for their games to show up, and the fact that it will happily error out of a download with an "unknown error" and force you to restart the whole fucking thing.

Don't forget the "we will remove your account and access to your games if you do not login to Origin for 2 years"

I can't say whether that will happen with certainty. I'm pretty sure it WILL, because it's EA. Fuck, they'd gladly shut down everyone's account if said account hasn't bought a new game in the last seven days.

But until the two years have passed and that's actually occured, we can't hold it against them yet. Let's be fair. Besides, there's plenty of other bullshit to hate them for.

Creston

55. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:14 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:09:
That's not even taking into account the Origin horseshit like people having to wait WEEKS for their games to show up, and the fact that it will happily error out of a download with an "unknown error" and force you to restart the whole fucking thing.

Don't forget the "we will remove your account and access to your games if you do not login to Origin for 2 years"

Steam: SpectralMeat

54. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:11 Beelzebud

Steam came out when Counter Strike and TFC were Valve's big games. They also did not scan my hard drive and add their software to it, I had the OPTION to enter in my HL1 cd key.

You honestly don't mind that EA scans the contents of your hard drive? Some of us don't like that at all, and look at it for exactly what it is: An invasion of privacy.

When you buy an EA game, is it also okay for them to come in your house, while you're at work, and put all EA Games on their branded EA shelf? I think not.

53. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:09 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:47:
No doubt, but I find it hypocritical to look at one company doing one thing and say "ok, cool, I get it" then look at another doing the exact same thing and say "BURN IN HELL YOU ASSHOLES!"

It's part of the goodwill thing. Besides, Steam got plenty of "BURN IN HELL YOU ASSHOLES" when it first came out as well. It's had to work hard to grow into the darling of the PC community.

Combine that with Valve generally being a company that's viewed favorably, and EA being a company that has repeatedly and consistently:

A) Shit on their customers
B) Destroyed well-loved game studios
C) Leads the way in the "Nickel and dime you to death" bullshit

I fail to see how people DON'T get the antagonism versus Origin.

EA could cure cancer tomorrow, and the first thing I'd think when I saw the headline would be something like "I bet there's a thing in the EULA that says that if you take their medicine, they're allowed to harvest your organs whenever they feel like it."

Other than the one brief year where they made genuinely interesting games, EA has done virtually nothing beneficial to gaming as a whole and leads the way in the loathed "let's DLC EVERYTHING!" scheme, is the only company to consistently shut down servers within 18 months, etc etc etc.

EA is a fucking pox on gaming.

Creston

52. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 13:44 Dev

So do they add it as a "non origin" game shortcut? Or do they actually give you the game in your origin account for free? So you could use origin to download it to another computer?

If you could tell origin where to scan, and it only scanned that, I'd be ok with it, especially if you got free extra copies of games and not just shortcuts. But I'm sure that EA isn't nice like that, they probably scan your whole hdd and just add links.
Alamar wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 10:59:
Either way, I'm sure someone will watch procmon closely and let us (the world) know the results if they find anything...
Some people already have, there's been things linked on blues too I believe (thats why some people say origin is spyware). EA said they were alarmist and didn't actually do any of those things that procmon said they were doing. Well turns out they DO do it, at least the file scanning part.
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:46:
The serial key itself tells them whether you purchased a game or not. Each key can only be activated once, so pirates cannot "spontaneously have legit copies".
Yeah, keys can only be registered once to an account... well they already ARE registered by me, to steam. And some EA games didn't require registering to an EA account (especially if you didn't care about the extra "bonuses" they gave). If a key only appears on steam, how are they going to tell if its my steam account or someone elses? And if it can only be registered to my origin account once, then that could screw someone out of games if another steam account is logged in. At one point I had multiple EA accounts, so how are they going to verify the ones I've paid for? I can think of all sorts of minefields to prevent me from getting my owned copies or that allow people to get copies they have no rights to.
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 10:50:
What are the margins for selling console titles versus PC titles sold over digital distribution? Probably much lower, I'd imagine, given the physical production costs, certification costs and those very expensive "development" consoles. It therefore stands to reason that you'd want to sell as many copies as possible to the PC market via digital distribution.
If you check the math, bethesda makes about twice as much on each PC copy sold on steam at $60 as they do selling a retail console copy at gamestop for $60. As a platform, going by EA $'s, PC sales can often come close to matching one other platform (xbox 360 or PS3), but not both together.
Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:35:
Oh yeah, they could put in their EULA that they have the right to come over whenever they want to
MS VLK eula's actually DO say they have a right to come inspect your business whenever they want for compliance. They can and will fine businesses for having extra copies beyond the VLK allowance. If a business refuses the fine, MS can refuse permission for that company to use any MS titles, or take other steps. There's even an 800 number to call and report an employer not in compliance with license allowances, complete with cash rewards. This is even occasionally advertised on local radio stations.
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:41:
Look for ergc that's where it stores the keys. Only reason why I know is because I ended up writing a set of registry keys and a .net app(prolly lost to the wind now) for people for their ME games to fix the damned registry problem for ME/pinnacle station and BDtS. Also it looks for keys in two different places in ME case, which is part of the problem.

It's either hkey_users or hkey_currentusers along with the Win6432node not at home so I can't check.
I'm sure those bugs will hit me next time I try to play Mass Effect 1. I never tried it with the DLC although I bought the DLC when it went on sale after I played ME1.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2012, 14:09.

51. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 13:41 Mashiki Amiketo

Prez wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 13:37:
.... I trust Valve insofar as I can trust that they will not release a game and within a year drop all support and running servers for it without at least allowing for community run dedicated servers. EA does that sort of thing several times every year or so.
Just think...in 6mo they could kill the ME3 multiplayer servers. Didn't EA do that with one of their sports games? Or was it 9months?

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

50. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 13:37 Prez

The only similarities between Steam and Origin are conceptual. Steam is more feature-rich (with most features working exactly as advertised; with Origin it has been hit or miss for me), far more user-friendly, and most importantly, is owned and operated by a company that thus far has proven itself many times over to be an infinitely more gamer-friendly, more reliable, and (dare I say it) trustworthy company than the abhorrent EA. Trust is a dangerous thing when talking corporate entities, but I trust Valve insofar as I can trust that they will not release a game and within a year drop all support and running servers for it without at least allowing for community run dedicated servers. EA does that sort of thing several times every year or so.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

49. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:52 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:47:
But the giant amount of animosity is what I don't get. It's the exact same thing.

.... EA seems boring but totally ignorable.

I have a hard time hating something that means so little to me. ...
Just snipped some stuff out. It's not the westwood/origin/etc stuff that pisses people off. It's how they treat people that pisses people off. And not just their customers, but their employees. If you live up in Canadaland, you know this it gets passed through the industry very quickly. EA is a sweatshop up here.

Steam gives you the option to opt out. Origin doesn't, don't forget that. Choice, not matter how or what it is, is always important to people. If you give them no choice, people will say fuck and you. In that order.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

48. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:47 Beamer

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:33:
Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:06:
I don't fully understand why people are so angry at EA for going Origin-only for the time being.

I think if you re-read your question with my edit, it might make more sense to you.

EA has 0% goodwill. That's why people dislike them and anything they do.

Creston

No doubt, but I find it hypocritical to look at one company doing one thing and say "ok, cool, I get it" then look at another doing the exact same thing and say "BURN IN HELL YOU ASSHOLES!"

It's that gorge I don't get. We put up with Steam because we liked Valve. Steam had major issues and we went through them with Valve, again, because we like Valve.
We do not like EA, and since we have an alternative we see no need to go through this with EA. Again, I get that.

But the giant amount of animosity is what I don't get. It's the exact same thing.

At this point, though, I don't even remember why people dislike EA. Because Spore sucked? Because Westwood closed (even though they were going downhill when purchased?) Because Origin had some idiotic things in the EULA, many of which seem to also be in Steam's? EA seems boring but totally ignorable.

I have a hard time hating something that means so little to me. If you exclude the early NHL and NFS games I can't name any EA games I've played off the top of my head. Were the Crusader games EA?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

47. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:41 Mashiki Amiketo

Bhruic wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:15:
Really? I couldn't find ME1 or 2 keys in there. Those are the only two EA games I currently have installed via Steam. I have BF3 installed via Origin, and no key for it either.
Look for ergc that's where it stores the keys. Only reason why I know is because I ended up writing a set of registry keys and a .net app(prolly lost to the wind now) for people for their ME games to fix the damned registry problem for ME/pinnacle station and BDtS. Also it looks for keys in two different places in ME case, which is part of the problem.

It's either hkey_users or hkey_currentusers along with the Win6432node not at home so I can't check.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2012, 12:48.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

46. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:31 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:15:

I dunno. I did a ten second check, and all EA's keys seem to be in there, though they do appear to all be encrypted. I have keys for ME1, ME2, Crysis 2 and the Sims 3 in there.

Really? I couldn't find ME1 or 2 keys in there. Those are the only two EA games I currently have installed via Steam. I have BF3 installed via Origin, and no key for it either.

Check HKLM\Software\wow6432Node\

I have entries there for Crytek, Bioware and EA. (and Origin.)

Creston

45. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:26 Digital Wanderer

This wouldn't be a bad thing, if they asked the user first:

"Would you like Origin to scan your PC for EA games to add to your account?"

That's all, then it would be ok. I don't like how they're doing it without the users knowledge or consent, not one bit.

(DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried the Origin service yet, I just don't trust EA enough to.)

http://www.elitebastards.com - Adminish

44. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:15 Bhruic

I dunno. I did a ten second check, and all EA's keys seem to be in there, though they do appear to all be encrypted. I have keys for ME1, ME2, Crysis 2 and the Sims 3 in there.

43. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:13 Verno

I'll find a cheap EA game on Steam that I don't own and haven't installed as a test when I get home from work. IIRC though some of the games in my Origin list have never been installed on my current machine and were bought through Steam.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

42. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:11 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:00:
The serial key itself tells them whether you purchased a game or not. Each key can only be activated once, so pirates cannot "spontaneously have legit copies"

There are very few games these days that store cdkeys in the registry, so that seems highly unlikely.

Creston

41. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:09 Verno

Krovven wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:38:
Took people long enough to latch onto this and whine about it.

Crysis 2 was picked up and added to Origin the first time I installed Origin launch day.

Quite the contrary, I think it's refreshing that people watch this sort of thing so warily as it ensures that companies likely won't be able to get up to shenanigans without public pressure.

Unfortunately in this case the sites reporting the news are being quite vague about the process and methods used which is leading people to jump to conclusions.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

40. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:07 Mashiki Amiketo

Bhruic wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:00:
There are very few games these days that store cdkeys in the registry, so that seems highly unlikely.

Unfortunately, I can't check how it does it with DS2, as I got it for free on Origin as part of my BF3 pre-order.
Really? My Deadspace 2 key is in my registry, unencrypted too. Though I don't have origin installed to test it out.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

39. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 12:00 Bhruic

The serial key itself tells them whether you purchased a game or not. Each key can only be activated once, so pirates cannot "spontaneously have legit copies"

Unfortunately, I can't check how it does it with DS2, as I got it for free on Origin as part of my BF3 pre-order.

118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo