Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter

A new Kickstarter Campaign is underway for FTL: Faster Than Light, a space combat game being developed in Shanghai, China. They have already surpassed their $10,000 goal by more than 50%, so it seems this is well on its way. If you are interested in more details on this game, there's a trailer on FTL Website and a preview on PC Gamer.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 29, 2012, 08:43 Beamer

The whole point, though, is that big publishers can't go away. It's impossible. And only people that have never worked in any function on a game seem to think they will.

Do you know why music publishers have more or less gone away? They're not necessary. Any 4 idiots with a computer can record an album. Most of what a music publisher did is now handled quickly and easily at very little cost. Management is still needed to book tours, but publishers? Not really.

But you'll never really see movie or video game publishers disappear. These products cost way too much money to make. A 3D FPS costs tens of millions of dollars. Does anyone here think they'll ever be able to crowdsource that? Find any kind of alternate funding? Gabe Newell did because, hey look, he found tens of millions in his sock drawer yesterday. Other than that it requires insane amounts of money. This is why most startup studios looking to do 3D work spend their first few years doing outsourced work - they simply cannot afford to do anything else.

Anyone that thinks they'll be dancing on EAs grave any time soon has absolutely no idea how much time and effort it takes to make a level that looks like something. Doom levels? Yeah, one guy could kick out three of those a day. DXHR levels? When you combine all the work done by all the people it's months.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 21:23 ASeven

Funny thing, the most expensive contributions have been sold out already. Someone out there gave $500 and $1000 for this, that's rather awesome to be honest.  

29. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 21:11 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 20:31:
PHJF wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:03:
$10,000 USD to a Chinaman does not equate to $10,000 to Tim Schafer.

Damn you

See? Like I said- common usage.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 21:04 Dev

I backed it for $10. I may end up doing it for $25 to have beta access, I'll have to think about it.

At $10, not risking much, and it sounds like a fun game.

27. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 20:31 Sepharo

Damn you

26. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 20:25 Dev

BTW, sounds a little like Battlestar Galactica, in that you are constantly running from badness. Good stuff.  

25. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 16:02 ASeven

Prez wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 15:47:
Even given the law of diminishing returns, I can see them reaching $40k or even $50k when all is said and done. I wonder if they will end up having to redo their game design for a higher budget than they imagined.

I wouldn't mind that at all. A sort of roguelike game with crew management? That's like a dream come true for many.

Anyone who wants to be up to date with KS projects follow this site:

http://indiegames.com/index.html

They often post some of the more promising KS projects or projects with different business models. Lots of gems in the rough there.

EDIT: Holy crap, Mirror's Edge meets Minecraft??

24. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 15:47 Prez

Even given the law of diminishing returns, I can see them reaching $40k or even $50k when all is said and done. I wonder if they will end up having to redo their game design for a higher budget than they imagined.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2012, 15:57.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 15:39 Mr. Tact

Ha, they are at $30,000 already. This edit is on their main KS page:

EDIT 1: What the math?! 200% in less than 1 day... You are all amazing!!! We have to crash for the night, but we'll be online in a few hours to respond to questions/emails.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 15:36 Dev

Just as a reminder, you do NOT have to be in USA to back a project. You only have to have an amazon.com account that can do amazon payments, which only requires a credit/debit card (international works fine).

For $10, yeah I think I'll kickstart it. Plus its already past the goal, so its going to get funded.

21. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 15:25 Alamar

I also want to point out... I love the rewards for this...

Named crew member, Named enemy in a custom event... That's good stuff : )

-Alamar

20. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 14:06 ASeven

And last I checked, Tim Schafer wasn't making Flash games.

Hits the nail on the head. In the end it all comes down to how individuals value a single dollar. Some value it a bit more than others and can do more than others with that single dollar.

19. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 14:03 PHJF

And last I checked, Tim Schafer wasn't making Flash games.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 14:02 Prez

Alamar wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 13:56:

I enjoyed SPAZ, or at least the first half (or so)... need to go back to it : )

But let's throw around some numbers...

A lot of hobby projects (that go somewhere), start with two people, and they take half a year to make (not unreasonable). Two half years makes one full 'man year'. Given that arbitrary example, I would have to argue that 10k is not nearly enough : )

Even given a 3 month cycle, that's half a 'man year', and 10k isn't enough... I'm assuming 'no other significant sources of income', and lots of noodles, and rent/heat/elec/food/etc still costs more than that (unless they live together : ).

I make a lot of assumptions, as your post seems to, but in the end... Hobbyists will get shit done for cheap, but a 'reasonable' cost of living is far different : )

Mmmmm... Noodles...

-Alamar

You are assuming that they are coding full time with no other source of income, aren't you? You certainly can't feed yourself with $10k, bug then again you don't have to. I remember reading in the forward of SPAZ (or somewhere) that they did it completely on the side while working "real" jobs. That seems the best way for most Indies to get their first project done. It always starts as a side labor of love from what I've read. Don't forget, they haven't finished raising money, so it will go higher than 10k.

- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 13:56 Alamar

Prez wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 13:50:
EA and Activision and their ilk can't go the way of the fucking dodo fast enough to suit me.

Same here. I suspect the industry would be in disarray if every project was community-sourced, but at the very least I'd like to see the soulless, mega publishers completely and utterly devoid of any vision beyond dollar signs gone forever.

As far as this project goes, $10,000 may not sound like much, but I can't imagine that "Space Pirates and Zombies", a space combat game itself, had a development budget of much higher than that, and it was ridiculously addicting and fun. At least to me it was, anyway.

I enjoyed SPAZ, or at least the first half (or so)... need to go back to it : )

But let's throw around some numbers...

A lot of hobby projects (that go somewhere), start with two people, and they take half a year to make (not unreasonable). Two half years makes one full 'man year'. Given that arbitrary example, I would have to argue that 10k is not nearly enough : )

Even given a 3 month cycle, that's half a 'man year', and 10k isn't enough... I'm assuming 'no other significant sources of income', and lots of noodles, and rent/heat/elec/food/etc still costs more than that (unless they live together : ).

I make a lot of assumptions, as your post seems to, but in the end... Hobbyists will get shit done for cheap, but a 'reasonable' cost of living is far different : )

Mmmmm... Noodles...

-Alamar

16. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 13:55 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:37:
Stop using weasel words. "Doomers and gloomers." All we're saying is you won't get many games getting hundreds of thousands. Christ, every single time I have said "this doesn't mean great games won't get money they need" just "this won't be the salvation of gaming where every single game you play was made exclusively because it had a kickstarter."

You are a weird little man. You only hear things you want. If someone is slightly contrary to a post you make you assume they're the exact opposite. Never once did I say "this is a fad that won't go anywhere and will never amount to anything," it's just when people like you rejoice and say "hooray, big publishers are dead!" I say "that's probably not quite true, as this will only get people about $5k-$60k, which won't make a huge difference to many projects" yet you somehow hear "Kickstarter is the devil! Doom! Gloom!"

Huh. I didn't name anyone and yet you had to crawl out from wherever you are to insult me. Paranoia much? And you have the nerve to call me a weird little man you insecure bastard?

Go back to your cave and your own delusions.

EDIT: Just FYI I was thinking of the ilks of Pachter and kotaku who were pretty much doom and gloom about this. Funny that you take anything personal though.

15. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 13:50 Prez

EA and Activision and their ilk can't go the way of the fucking dodo fast enough to suit me.

Same here. I suspect the industry would be in disarray if every project was community-sourced, but at the very least I'd like to see the soulless, mega publishers completely and utterly devoid of any vision beyond dollar signs gone forever.

As far as this project goes, $10,000 may not sound like much, but I can't imagine that "Space Pirates and Zombies", a space combat game itself, had a development budget of much higher than that, and it was ridiculously addicting and fun. At least to me it was, anyway.

- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 13:16 Alamar

I'm not quite sure what's going on in that video, but it does look interesting.

I'm confused though, because when I looked at it (years ago and weeks ago), it said projects could only be started by US 'entities' (an amazon banking/escrow type limitation), but I guess even if you're outside the US, you can use a US account/address/whatever.

-Alamar

13. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 12:37 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:31:
Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:21:
ASeven wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:01:
nin wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:51:
Techie714 © wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:41:
Looks pretty cool, I think I'll bite!

Yeah, I'll give em $10. Nice that they're already over their goal, too - hopefully this will allow them to make it even better.

Yes. For those who were all doom and gloom about Kickstarter, here's an unknown game by an unknown dev that met their goal with 32 days to go.

In the end those who say that KS only works behind a big name or reputation are kinda wrong. The important thing is that the idea behind the fund drive is good and money will come, nothing else matters. A big name or reputation helps but not as much as a great idea for a game.

I think the doom and gloom people were more saying that not too many devs are going to rake in a million+ bucks. Ten thousand dollars is of course a far more attainable goal.

And that's the point of KS in the first place, to raise enough money for a project to start, the difference being that indies don't need millions to make a good game and that's the point that flew over the gloomers and doomers. Indies don't usually need that big budget which in turn allows that most projects with solid ideas to take off.

Stop using weasel words. "Doomers and gloomers." All we're saying is you won't get many games getting hundreds of thousands. Christ, every single time I have said "this doesn't mean great games won't get money they need" just "this won't be the salvation of gaming where every single game you play was made exclusively because it had a kickstarter."

You are a weird little man. You only hear things you want. If someone is slightly contrary to a post you make you assume they're the exact opposite. Never once did I say "this is a fad that won't go anywhere and will never amount to anything," it's just when people like you rejoice and say "hooray, big publishers are dead!" I say "that's probably not quite true, as this will only get people about $5k-$60k, which won't make a huge difference to many projects" yet you somehow hear "Kickstarter is the devil! Doom! Gloom!"

-------------

12. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Kickstarter Feb 28, 2012, 12:34 Beamer

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:21:
ASeven wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 12:01:
nin wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:51:
Techie714 © wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:41:
Looks pretty cool, I think I'll bite!

Yeah, I'll give em $10. Nice that they're already over their goal, too - hopefully this will allow them to make it even better.

Yes. For those who were all doom and gloom about Kickstarter, here's an unknown game by an unknown dev that met their goal with 32 days to go.

In the end those who say that KS only works behind a big name or reputation are kinda wrong. The important thing is that the idea behind the fund drive is good and money will come, nothing else matters. A big name or reputation helps but not as much as a great idea for a game.

I think the doom and gloom people were more saying that not too many devs are going to rake in a million+ bucks. Ten thousand dollars is of course a far more attainable goal.

Creston

Thank you.
I believe he's singling me out when he says "doom and gloom," but I've repeatedly said that $6k-$60k is attainable. It's a wide margin, but the presentation/goals have been wide, too. Virtually anyone asking under $10k has had it (a few missed, but they typically had just words and maybe a sketch.) Several have hit around $50k. Few have gone over.

We'll see where this goes. $10k was their goal, and is rather far off from the goal set by DoubleFine and the goal required for this to really change any kind of game. This title will also likely have inflated numbers as it's the first game kickstarter getting attention post-DF, when people are still buzzing. If you look at the other video game kickstarters you have one over $100k (the Teach You To Play game), one at $70k (a zombie iOS game) and the rest between $2k and $50k. Funded, so those are the final tallies.

This game already has a demo available via OnLive, which is a bit nuts, too.

-------------

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo