Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 28, 2012, 15:51 space captain

wonder if this works: &#63743;  
Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 28, 2012, 12:48 SpectralMeat

Oh no I am near chargers also, but it is just something I don't like to keep thinking about all the time to make sure you bring a mobile charger with you.

Of course everyone is different and have different preferences, and some people choose high hardware specs over battery life, but like I said that would be my own preference. We will see what the future holds for these cell phones.

One thing I am glad they focus on a little more is better cameras in the phones because for most people phones are always in your pocket to take pictures or shoot a quick video with, dedicated photo cameras or video cameras are there if you remember to take it with you, or if you are on vacation etc.

Some of the best pictures of my kids I took with my phone. Not because of the picture quality but because of the situation.

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 28, 2012, 10:56 Quboid

Fair enough. Each to their own really, I'm usually near a charger but it is a pest that I can't really play games when travelling. I can't afford a tablet, but this does very well and for me, it's worth the trade-off; evidently not for you.

I hope pan-room wireless charging comes in and is practical to offer on aircraft and long distance trains/coaches.

- Quboid

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 28, 2012, 09:56 SpectralMeat

Well my point is that what good a high end smart phone does if the battery doesn't last? Let's say you travel a lot and have a high end phone and you want to do (high pathetically speaking) presentations, word document editing, gaming and watching some netflix on your phone. Sure let's get the quad core super duper cell phone. Since you are traveling you have no access to outlets to charge your phone so what the heck are you going to do with all that horsepower in your phone when as soon as you start using any of the demanding applications your battery will drain.

I understand the argument about the quad core vs dual core in battery savings but I don't see that is going to be the case when you are running demanding apps. You might see a minimal battery life difference in between quad core and dual core but to be hones I think quad core will drink more juice no matter what.

All I am saying is that these companies are so eager to put more features and more things your phone can do (that by the way 90% of smart phone users will never use anyways) but the battery life left behind in the dust. Sure your phone can run 3D games and you can play games on the go, but what good does it do to you if the battery lasts you an hour?

There are tablets, netbooks and all kinds of other mobile devices that can serve you as a mobile gaming, office running machines. I personally don't think cellphones should be your media player in your pocket. The screen sizes on some of those new phones like the Galaxy Nexus or the new Galaxy Note is way too big for a cell phone imo.

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 28, 2012, 09:23 Quboid

Browsing websites will be faster. Things like loading a website from cache is much more noticeable on my SGS2 than on my desktop. I don't know if this is processor, memory or what, but assuming the memory is also faster, this will improve. If it really does have 1080p (and I have to question what benefit that has over 720p when our eyes are becoming the limiting factor) then the extra speed will be useful. If Angry Birds 2 has 1080p graphics and complex 3D scenery then yes, Angry Birds will run faster. I can't run Skyrim at 1080p on my desktop so serious power would be needed to play future mobile 3D games.

I don't know if this argument has any technical merit, but I have been told than quad-core will improve battery life, and that dual-core has improved battery life. By doing a few things on each core, each core runs slowly (and with less heat), using less power than one core running flat out. As I say, I don't know if this is true.

I'd love to see better battery life, but I can't see any significant progress until we have a game-changer like pan-room wireless charging - not WiCC style things, but something where the phone stays in your pocket. Nuclear batteries have also been talked about, a single charge would last longer than your phone but who knows when we'll see this. There should be some fun hysteria there

I don't think high-end phones deserve your criticism, but I do see your point. For all this fancy, high resolution multiple core gigabyte 4G stuff, the main market for smartphones is the mid-range and I'm not aware of any handsets that forgo these selling points yet which does see significant battery life savings from having less to push. Partly because they compromise battery as well as processor/screen/etc, but also I suspect this suggests that actually, there's not that much saving to be made and getting a feature phone is the only way to get a week's charge.

- Quboid

7. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 28, 2012, 08:21 SpectralMeat

That is fine I understand the feature set these new phones have and all that stuff but can you tell why do you need a quad core cpu in a cell phone? Will the voice quality be better? Will you browse websites faster? Is Angry Birds going to run 3X faster? I much rather trade the quad core CPU and the 1080p display for a Galaxy S2 with at least 4-5 days of battery life out of my phone.

I used to have the SGS2 and I am using an Iphone 4S right now but battery life just equally suck on pretty much all new smart phones. I really wish these companies would spend a little resources on that area as well not only the screen,CPU and feature set on these new phones.

That's just my wishlist.

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 28, 2012, 08:13 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 05:52:
nin wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 21:35:
Samsung Galaxy S III to have 1080p screen, quad-core processor.

And a battery life of 20 minutes!

Was going to post the same comment. Who needs those specs in a freaking cell phone? Why don't they work on a better battery life instead for all these devices?
I miss the good old days of charge my phone ones in every 2 weeks.

You can still get phones that only need charged every 2 weeks like in the good old days, along with a comparable feature set. I like my SGS2 and the battery life, woeful as it is, is a small price to pay for a fantastic phone. "Who needs these specs"? Not me. But I like them, and I'm prepared to compromise battery life.

People are working on battery life and progress in this field isn't mutually exclusive to performance.

Those SGS3 specs and mock-up look like pure fiction. If it's true then I probably will get one, but I see no evidence that this isn't yet another make-believe tail.

- Quboid

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 28, 2012, 07:36 Fibrocyte

avianflu wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 07:12:
I have the galaxy II S and while it is a GREAT phone, it has 8 hours of battery life if I keep LTE on.

However it is worth mentioning that if I turn data off, I get 2 full days easily.

The Galaxy S III is supposedly going to have better battery life than the S II.

I have an S I and I'm not happy with it -- I'll likely grab an S III when it is released. If battery life is an issue then I'll upgrade the battery to one with higher capacity - I prefer the bulkier device anyway.

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 28, 2012, 07:12 avianflu

I have the galaxy II S and while it is a GREAT phone, it has 8 hours of battery life if I keep LTE on.

However it is worth mentioning that if I turn data off, I get 2 full days easily.

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 28, 2012, 05:52 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 21:35:

Was going to post the same comment. Who needs those specs in a freaking cell phone? Why don't they work on a better battery life instead for all these devices?
I miss the good old days of charge my phone ones in every 2 weeks.

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 27, 2012, 21:35 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 27, 2012, 21:07 Kitkoan

$50 off is slashing prices?...  

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo