Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Wizards of the Coast announce a June 25th release date for the Menace of the Underdark expansion for Dungeons & Dragons Online, their free-to-play MMORPG. Word is: "Players across North America and Europe can pre-purchase Menace of the Underdark to receive exclusive benefits starting today at http://www.ddo.com/underdark." Bonuses include some creature companions to use right now, and more.

View
15. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Feb 27, 2012, 18:45 Jivaro

Bhruic wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 18:18:
My only point was that in a industry where "Pay-To-Win" is a better description of most "Free 2 Play" games, Turbine provides a very good alternative to those who prefer not to be locked into a subscription for something they might only play on and off.

The problem is that your premise is wrong.

No, it isn't. You are arguing a point that has nothing to do with my premise. Add to that, I don't even disagree with what you are saying with regards to "Pay-To-Decrease-The-Amount-Of-Time-You- Spend-In-Game-Before-Getting-Better-Stuff". Of course that is what is. I go back to my point before...which was Turbine's way of doing it. I recognize that you disagree, but consider the following.

If you spend 15 bucks a month on a subscription to LoTRO you will be getting a whole lot more game for your money...and access to it...then you would if you spent 15 dollars worth of "Turbine points" over the course of a month without a subscription. That, in my mind, is the right way to go about a F2P model. The subscribers should be rewarded for subscribing. If there is a bottom line point to what I originally stated, that is it. I understand that people might disagree if they are trying to view this from the non-subscriber point of view, however the customer simply can not have it both ways. Either the subscriber gets the better deal or the F2P player. I think it is pretty obvious who should get the better deal.

When people complain about "Pay to Win", what they are really complaining about is non-subscribers paying the same or less per month as a subscriber and having better gear and faster access then that of a subscriber. In truth, I usually only see this in newly released games or games that have only been F2P for a (relatively) short period of time and it is a result of poor marketplace balance. Most F2P games have some sort of imbalance at the beginning. To my recollection, Turbine did not, and has not since. Obviously this is where some people disagree with me, but again, I think this is because they are trying to view things from a non-subscriber point of view. And again...you can't have it both ways. The company has to make money or the game goes away, and if the subscriber doesn't get a better deal then the free player...then you really have trouble.

If people are going to be so obsessive as to riled up because the literal translation of a PR term is not completely accurate, that is their problem. (not saying you are, just saying) They knew before they even started playing what was really going on. F2P is not new anymore, every gamer knows it is just a different way to pay for the same thing. Most gamers should know by now that if you play your MMO of choice regularly, subscribing is going to be cheaper then nickel & dime'ing it. The F2P model is only customer friendly to those that rely on it because they don't like to play the same MMO month to month. Otherwise, the whole system is very much to the developers financial gain, which is obviously why it is becoming so popular amongst developers/publishers. This was the system that dieing MMOs used to prolong their agony. Now, in large part to Turbine's success, companies outside of Asia are turning to it from the beginning. Inside of Asia it was already building a head of steam.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2012, 18:59.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 27, 11:24 Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June sauron
  2. Feb 27, 11:55  Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Frijoles
  3. Feb 27, 12:54  Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Jivaro
  4. Feb 27, 15:37   Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Darks
  5. Feb 27, 16:02    Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Zarkonis
  8. Feb 27, 17:30     Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June JohnBirshire
  11. Feb 27, 18:04      Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Boston
  9. Feb 27, 17:51    Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Asmo
  10. Feb 27, 18:02     Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Jivaro
  13. Feb 27, 18:18      Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Bhruic
>> 15. Feb 27, 18:45       Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Jivaro
  16. Feb 27, 18:58        Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Bhruic
  17. Feb 27, 19:05         Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Jivaro
  12. Feb 27, 18:08     Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Bhruic
  14. Feb 27, 18:39      Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Darks
  6. Feb 27, 16:30 Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Cutter
  7. Feb 27, 16:41 Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Umbragen

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo