Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated

The Diablo III Skill Calculator is now updated to reflect the recent revelation of new skills being added to Blizzard's upcoming action/RPG sequel. This offers the ability to play with character builds to experiment with how to develop characters within the game. Thanks PC Gamer.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 29, 2012, 07:07 Dades

He's not smart but you got the ass part right.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 28, 2012, 18:29 shinchan0s

Krovven wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 19:28:
shinchan0s wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 19:08:
And no, PvP doesn't count.

Because you said so?

No, smartass, it's because most players aren't interested in "arena" PvP. Ganking was fun in D2 tho.

34. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 28, 2012, 12:27 PHJF

Not to mention that your first couple of characters were pretty much guaranteed to be gimpy, since there was no way of knowing that the fireball spell which worked great at early levels, would become completely useless 10-15 levels later, even after you'd permanently wasted 15 more skillpoints on it.

There's a reason Firebolt is available at first level and Meteor isn't. And it's odd that you say Fireball because 1.10 made it a powerhouse skill.

Regardless, this conversation is moot. In D3, every skill in the game is based on weapon damage.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

33. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 28, 2012, 08:34 Verno

FloorPie wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 03:45:
Many have no problem playing or co-existing with folks who run sub-optimal builds. The problem becomes when "sucking" means the goal is not accomplished. Many hardcore types get rather jaded and tire of having to carry those who don't at least try to be a good player. As long as those casual folks who don't care much about calculators etc. don't complain that they might not get into a dungeon run, do what makes you happy. "Hey man, I solo quested as a warrior with mana gear and did great!" is cute but won't get you anywhere but dead in the end game dungeons/raids.

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with gimmick builds and people who just want to have fun (which is pretty much everyone) but some content might be locked out.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

32. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 28, 2012, 05:57 peteham

Hammer wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 20:43:
With Diablo 3 - once you beat Nightmare - you then end up with Inferno. That'll have a flat difficulty level (and rare drop rate) ACROSS the whole game! IE: If you want to farm whatever, you could farm any boss in Act 1, and you'll have the same chance to find that rare (and the same level of difficulty) as if you were farming a boss in Act 4!
My worry regarding this system, as I've said in previous threads, is that we might end up having to constantly respec and swap equipment, granted, it depends on how difficult Inferno really is.. It goes without saying that I enjoyed minmaxing D2

For instance, "this boss hits really hard, better respec and put on some gear with high AR".. Or "these dudes go into a frenzy if you don't kill them quickly, better respec to dps mode" etc. The less often I'd have to do that for a playthrough, the better. Other than that, I'm mostly all for this new flexibility. It was just annoying in D2 when you went with sword specialization as a barb, then later found a really sweet axe Not to mention that your first couple of characters were pretty much guaranteed to be gimpy, since there was no way of knowing that the fireball spell which worked great at early levels, would become completely useless 10-15 levels later, even after you'd permanently wasted 15 more skillpoints on it.

31. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 28, 2012, 03:45 FloorPie

Prez wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 13:33:

Maybe it's because sucking ( and not really caring as long as you're having fun) makes you incompatible with other multiplayer gamers, but there's a reason why many gamers forego multiplayer gaming almost completely. Talk of "calculators" and "optimum builds" makes us want to run away.

Many have no problem playing or co-existing with folks who run sub-optimal builds. The problem becomes when "sucking" means the goal is not accomplished. Many hardcore types get rather jaded and tire of having to carry those who don't at least try to be a good player. As long as those casual folks who don't care much about calculators etc. don't complain that they might not get into a dungeon run, do what makes you happy. "Hey man, I solo quested as a warrior with mana gear and did great!" is cute but won't get you anywhere but dead in the end game dungeons/raids.

I remember the endless arguments in wow about low level pvp and "twinks". The best were the "sub optimal" folks who would complain that I was a cheater twink because I had the best gear for that level when this was far from the case. I would gear on purpose with a small investment instead of farming for the best gear available.

I had above average gear or rather gear that favored pvp not pve and I had lots of experience. They were noobs who showed up under level (20-29 bracket) with gear that favored mana regen over HP and burst damage. I'd love watching experienced pvp'ers at lvl 21 holding off level 27-29 noobs to win a CTF map.

30. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 23:54 Bucky

What would be the point? The point would be...YOU enjoying the game the way YOU want it.

You just said: "the most fun I had with Diablo 2 was, like PHJF, building up new characters from scratch... "

You will still be able to do that!!

What? Are you saying, that because you're not OBLIGATED to do so, that you won't enjoy it as much??!?

This is the insanity I see in most of the posts that argue against the changes Blizzard has made. Because you are no longer obligated to play a certain way does not mean that you still cannot. So what's the real issue then? Is it that others can choose to play the game in a way that you disagree with? Or is it simply that change is bad?

Admittedly, this is an issue in far more than just games. Just because a person believes something must be done a certain way does not mean everyone else must accept it. The key to it is choice, which people will vigorously defend for themselves while trying to take it from others.

Meh, sorry, I wandered a bit. I'll be creating new low level characters to try different play styles and builds, so that I can try out the low level gear and see how effective those styles are. Just because I don't have to doesn't mean I won't. I'll also be trying out hardcore, and thanks to the (hopefully) secure multiplayer, I'll probably give that a try as well.

29. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 21:11 Alamar

What? Are you saying, that because you're not OBLIGATED to do so, that you won't enjoy it as much??!?

Hey...I find a different weapon...I might go down a difficulty level and try out a different playstyle - but I don't be FORCED to start from scratch to do so!

I can see both sides of that... While you can just level up a new character, and use new skills, and I have always been so very pro choice (yay for respecs), a lot of people don't like it... In part, maybe, because of the inability to use the OP abilities when the other ones are available. But also because in the D2 style, you made a specific ability (or set of) stronger each level. D3 abilities all automatically get stronger, and a lot of people don't like not being locked in.

-Alamar

28. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 20:43 Hammer

PHJF wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 17:31:
Yeah, and why should we even have "classes" anyways? You like having to level up separate classes, be my guest... just don't force me to do it.

In fact, why do have levels? I want my character to have every skill at the start of the game

And loot. I don't want to go through all that tedious killing monsters for it. Just give me a full Tal's set, a HoZ, a few HOTOs, a couple Nigmas...

Seriously? Not gonna even bother with that one...

Hammer wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 16:18:

You do realize that, if you want, you can have a separate chars for all the different "builds" you want to play.

You like having to level up again simply to try another type of playstyle for the same class...go ahead, be my guest...just don't force me to do it.

Then what would be the point? Let's be real. Nobody's going to waste their time making a new same class character from scratch in Diablo 3.

Anyway, the most fun I had with Diablo 2 was, like PHJF, building up new characters from scratch ESPECIALLY when I got new low to mid-end uniques and sets to try out. Diablo 2 wasn't all about the end game - at least for me. For me, level 90 was game over. It was time for a new build. Rune hunting wasn't all that appealing...

In Diablo 3, people are going to be spending 90% of their time in Hell/Hell (or Inferno whatever they call it now) and you'll probably end up seeing crazy item inflation like you do in WoW especially with the new Auction House.

I mean, if that's the case then I hope Blizzard has big plans for end game content besides fem-Diablo runs.

What would be the point? The point would be...YOU enjoying the game the way YOU want it.

You just said: "the most fun I had with Diablo 2 was, like PHJF, building up new characters from scratch... "

You will still be able to do that!!

Hey...I find a different weapon...I might go down a difficulty level and try out a different playstyle - but I won't be FORCED to start from scratch to do so!

If I play my Monk by myself, I can have my "solo" build with Dodge/AOE and whatnot...but if my friends come online and we party up, I'll be able with my same Monk to switch to a heal build to help out! Choices! Ain't it grand?!

As for End Game - that's what Inferno is for.

For those that don't know, in D2 (and D3), you had Normal, Nightmare and eventually Hell - all as a progression (ie: Act 1 of Nightmare was just a bit harder than last act of Normal...and it kept on progressing).

With Diablo 3 - once you beat Nightmare - you then end up with Inferno. That'll have a flat difficulty level (and rare drop rate) ACROSS the whole game! IE: If you want to farm whatever, you could farm any boss in Act 1, and you'll have the same chance to find that rare (and the same level of difficulty) as if you were farming a boss in Act 4!

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2012, 22:20.

27. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 19:44 Prez

I find this funny, because I'm pretty sure he was responding to Hammer's comment : )

If that's the case then woops! Well, at any rate I understand WHAT he said (my therapist would be proud), I just might have screwed up the WHO, as in who it was intended for. We'll work on that in the next session.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 19:28 Krovven

Because you said so?

25. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 19:08 shinchan0s

Hammer wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 16:18:

You do realize that, if you want, you can have a separate chars for all the different "builds" you want to play.

You like having to level up again simply to try another type of playstyle for the same class...go ahead, be my guest...just don't force me to do it.

Then what would be the point? Let's be real. Nobody's going to waste their time making a new same class character from scratch in Diablo 3.

Anyway, the most fun I had with Diablo 2 was, like PHJF, building up new characters from scratch ESPECIALLY when I got new low to mid-end uniques and sets to try out. Diablo 2 wasn't all about the end game - at least for me. For me, level 90 was game over. It was time for a new build. Rune hunting wasn't all that appealing...

In Diablo 3, people are going to be spending 90% of their time in Hell/Hell (or Inferno whatever they call it now) and you'll probably end up seeing crazy item inflation like you do in WoW especially with the new Auction House.

I mean, if that's the case then I hope Blizzard has big plans for end game content besides fem-Diablo runs.

24. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 19:03 Bhruic

Alamar wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 18:21:
Prez wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 18:13:
Communication involves listening and understanding as well as speaking.

I find this funny, because I'm pretty sure he was responding to Hammer's comment : )

Just because he said it, doesn't mean he actually practises it.

23. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 18:21 Alamar

Krovven wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 13:42:
Optional nickname wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 12:50:
meanwhile we know nothing about it

Edit: I should have looked at your previous posts before wasting my time with a response. Optional is a troll, just like Wildone. So very very sad that some people have no lives.

I'm sure I've had the same thoughts about some of your posts, and I'm sure others have had those about mine...

That's the nature of any online community : )

Edit:
Prez wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 18:13:

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2012, 18:37.

22. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 18:13 Prez

Yeah, and why should we even have "classes" anyways? You like having to level up separate classes, be my guest... just don't force me to do it.

In fact, why do have levels? I want my character to have every skill at the start of the game.

And loot. I don't want to go through all that tedious killing monsters for it. Just give me a full Tal's set, a HoZ, a few HOTOs, a couple Nigmas...

Who is forcing you to do anything Mr Crabbypants? Read what I wrote, I said or implied nothing like you are suggesting. I'm just making the case why singleplayer is my mode of choice, not trying to remove your choice.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2012, 18:19.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 18:08 SimplyMonk

You can already do this if you have the dollars to burn and honestly it is fairly cheap to. A buddy of mine hadn't played D2 in a few years, wanted to get competitive for PvP fast, dropped $10 and had pretty much the best gear in the game.

20. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 18:05 Ruffiana

In fact, why do have levels? I want my character to have every skill at the start of the game.

Excellent use of the slippery slope fallacy.

19. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 17:31 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 16:18 Hammer

PHJF wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 14:03:
So the solution to you screwing up your build is to remove builds and just let people tinker? Part of the reason I played so much D2 was because I had tons of builds for tons of characters. I had a trapsin, a clawsin, a hammerdin, a zealot, a fball sorc, a blizz sorc, a wolf druid, a summoner druid, a poison necro, a summoner necro, an elemental druid, a javazon, a bowazon, a spearazon... etc...

And I built them all, I had specific gear for them all, and they all had specific play styles crafted through use and time. I didn't just TP and swap out my runes or whatever the hell D3 is proffering.

17. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 16:03 Krovven

Verno wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 14:34:
Any word on the Torchlight 2 launch date? I know it got pushed back but can't recall if they said anything else. I think I'm more excited about TL2 than this game right now despite having fun with the beta.

Based on the dev video blog they posted a couple days ago, not anytime soon. I'd say mid-summer at the earliest. If D3 and T2 launch within a month of one another, I'll be disappointed.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo