Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours

BioWare Social Network has a summary of the first magazine review of Mass Effect 3, which offers impressions of BioWare's action/RPG sequel. It also offers perspective on how long the game should last, saying the main quest runs for about 15-20 hours, which amounts to about 40 hours of total playtime, saying "side missions are vital to amass enough opposition to the Reaper threat." They also note the game includes about 90 minutes of cutscenes, while also offering impressions of the game that do not involve clock-watching. Thanks Computer and Video Games. On an interesting side note, while noting the game's preorders are well ahead of its predecessor's, MCV also points out that Destructoid recently put on a green visor to do some accounting to tally up what it would cost to get all the DLC planned for Mass Effect 3. This results in an eye-popping $869.91 price tag. Part of the reason this ends up so inflated is because some of it is bundled with Razor hardware, though this illustrates the problem the plan presents to a completionist. Finally, if you are in need of some marketing, Game Informer has a commercial for the game.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

45. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 28, 2012, 01:53 Jerykk

It's not like Team Fortress 2 where you have to do an insane amount of grinding to get good items without paying.

I didn't really have trouble unlocking stuff in TF2 at all. It seemed like I unlocked at least one item in every session. And if I already had that item, I could just disassemble it for parts and craft the items I wanted or just trade for them. I'll take TF2's unlockable system over BF3 or CoD's unlockable systems any day.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 28, 2012, 01:46 entr0py

Jerykk wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 01:22:
Not quite correct. Did you notice my reply about powering up the DLC assault rifle in their pay 2 win scheme (#1 in this thread)? Every extra code makes that weapon stronger in multiplayer. So to get maximum play 2 win powered up assault rifle, one would need to purchase multiple hardware items.

That's pretty retarded. The game doesn't have PvP but that still doesn't really excuse EA for letting players pay to win. Is there any way to upgrade the weapon without buying that stuff?

Having played the demo, you get +1 weapon powerups very frequently. After most matches you can afford a goodie box that most likely a random weapon upgrade. After 3 nights of play, I've unlocked maybe 7 new weapons, and the original ones are up to level 4 or 5.

It's not like Team Fortress 2 where you have to do an insane amount of grinding to get good items without paying. It's more like BF3 where doing the work yourself provides a constant stream of varied unlocks, a few of which could be unlocked early through promotional offers.

43. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 28, 2012, 01:22 Jerykk

Not quite correct. Did you notice my reply about powering up the DLC assault rifle in their pay 2 win scheme (#1 in this thread)? Every extra code makes that weapon stronger in multiplayer. So to get maximum play 2 win powered up assault rifle, one would need to purchase multiple hardware items.

That's pretty retarded. The game doesn't have PvP but that still doesn't really excuse EA for letting players pay to win. Is there any way to upgrade the weapon without buying that stuff?

42. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 22:24 Bhruic

And, rather than pointlessly wasting more of my time arguing a point I consider obvious, here's the official answer on who decides pricing:

And rather than wasting more time arguing the obvious, let's look at the definitive example(s): How much does Valve charge for their own games in the UK/Australia?

From looking at the data, it seems that Valve games (Portal 2 being the recent example I used) are, in fact, priced "properly" for the local markets. So yup, you appear to be correct, it must be the publishers that are controlling the prices (it's worth noting boxed copies of Portal 2 were still extremely expensive).

41. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 21:15 Dev

And, rather than pointlessly wasting more of my time arguing a point I consider obvious, here's the official answer on who decides pricing:

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php

3. Who sets the price for my game on Steam?
Pricing is very title specific, and we've got a lot of data and experience to help you decide on what the best price is for your title. We'll work with you to figure out pricing.

"YOU [the publisher] DECIDE"

40. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 21:09 Dev

Bhruic wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 21:03:
Why in the world would a publisher dictate that they control pricing instead of valve in JUST USA ONLY, and let valve do WTF ever they wanted internationally??

Ok, but do you really think that all of the indie devs that sell on Valve bother to personally set the price in every market? And that they have, for some reason, all decided to collude with the "major" publishers and charge more for their games in the UK and Australia? That seems so far-fetched that it's much easier to believe that Valve, through Steam, handles the price conversion in "foreign" markets.
I edited my comment before you posted with more info and evidence and examples.

Are you saying you accept that publishers set pricing on steam, so valve is only screwing over the indie devs with crazy pricing? Valve is pretty friendly to indies lol.

My GUESS is that valve suggests pricing in all markets to those that want it (such as indies), but they are free to pick whatever they want.

39. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 21:03 Bhruic

Why in the world would a publisher dictate that they control pricing instead of valve in JUST USA ONLY, and let valve do WTF ever they wanted internationally??

Ok, but do you really think that all of the indie devs that sell on Valve bother to personally set the price in every market? And that they have, for some reason, all decided to collude with the "major" publishers and charge more for their games in the UK and Australia? That seems so far-fetched that it's much easier to believe that Valve, through Steam, handles the price conversion in "foreign" markets.

38. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 20:44 Dev

Bhruic wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 20:39:
And a verification that valve does NOT control prices:

That's verification that Valve doesn't set the actual price, not that Valve isn't responsible for altering prices in different markets. To be clearer, using your example, Mr Goulding might have said "we're going to charge $19.99", but it might have been Valve that set the UK price at 19.99. Or it might not have been, I'm not going to claim it is them, but it seems unlikely that various publishers would bother (or be required to) set prices in every market.
Every other publisher does this for every market already. I gave examples already for books and movies and music. Here's another one I forgot, non game software. You think microsoft doesn't control down to the penny every single country's pricing on MS stuff? Why in the world would a publisher dictate that they control pricing instead of valve in JUST USA ONLY, and let valve do WTF ever they wanted internationally??

And this does NOT only happen digitally. If you read around, a common complaint in Australia especially is how physical retail games exhibit this same price gouging. Valve cannot control physical retail game pricing from other publishers. So that means all the publishers are ALREADY setting international prices for retail copies in every single market. Doing it digitally isn't much more work than they already have to do. Also, most publishers want online digital ones to be similar to physical retail prices. Thats a big reason for the gouging, they've been doing it so long in international markets they figure its an accepted practice and they don't want to cannibalize retail sales with too big of a digital markdown on release.

Bethesda is making twice as much profit on every PC copy of skyrim sold compared to console at similar prices, yet do they discount the PC copy appropriately? One could characterize that as gouging too.

Also, in the UK and a number of european countries, they have something like 20-30% VAT tax added into the price of everything. It still doesn't make up for all the gouging (i.e. publishers are still often gouging another 20%+ on top of the tax after you do currency conversion), but it explains a big percentage of it in some markets.

Prices in the marketplace are far more often set to what market will bear, than having much relation to actual production cost.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2012, 20:54.

37. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 20:39 Bhruic

That's verification that Valve doesn't set the actual price, not that Valve isn't responsible for altering prices in different markets. To be clearer, using your example, Mr Goulding might have said "we're going to charge $19.99", but it might have been Valve that set the UK price at 19.99. Or it might not have been, I'm not going to claim it is them, but it seems unlikely that various publishers would bother (or be required to) set prices in every market.

36. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 20:25 Dev

Bhruic wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 20:04:
That would still be EA thats doing it on steam. Valve doesn't set prices at all on steam, they also don't set regional prices or the differences thereof. EA sends the price list to valve to put on steam.

My understanding is that it happens with all games, not just EA ones. Which would make it either Valve responsible, or price collusion between all of the publishers, take your pick.
Not just games. Its common in other industries too. For instance I've often seen xbox retail for say $200 here and 200 pounds in britain. Movie DVDs, music CDs, books, comics, etc etc. The UK and austrailia get hosed the most from what I've seen. AU I can sorta understand for physical products and shipping them over there to an island, but its on digital stuff sold in AU too.

And what publisher would sell on steam if valve told them they would set the price and not the publisher? There are some publishers (like EA) that rarely put stuff on a good sale. If valve controlled it, they would do MW3 sales all the time. And skyrim would have been below $40 on steam already. Remember the valve talks where valve tells publishers their own experience with price discounting on their own titles? How reducing a game's price in a sale results in increased gain, sometimes exponentially so? (and thats AFTER taking into account the reduced profit per sale). For instance valve sees a 40 TIMES increased revenue on a 75% off sale. Thats 4000% increase despite a 3/4ths reduction in the income per sale.

I guess its price collusion between publishers if you consider the AAA new game price of $60 to be collusion. Many set new games at that price.

Edit: I just did a search, you can see even non valve examples of this:
Text for your Link
"With Steam, our first sale was 25 percent off, and it generated around three times the daily revenue while it was going on," explained Ron Carmel, co-founder of World of Goo developer 2D Boy. "I believe this was mostly because of the promotion that the sale got, not as much the actual price drop, but it did drive home the point that Valve knows how to promote games on Steam very well. Our first 75 percent off sale generated something like 25 times the daily revenue."
"Sales were going slow," Andrew Goulding, the developer behind the point-and-click adventure Jolly Rover, told Ars. "Steam suggested right away that the price was wrong for this type of game at $19.99, but I wanted to see how it would go. I think they were right.
[...]
For one day, all five games cost just $5. And despite only getting one-fifth of the bundle's revenue, with nearly 47,000 copies sold, Goulding said he still made more revenue in that one day than he had during the game's entire life up to that point.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2012, 20:42.

35. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 20:15 Prez

Yawn. The so-called "awesome-button" of DA2 had extremely little to do with the game being so bad. And I seriously doubt ME3 will be equally terrible

Mass Effect 3 has had a significantly longer development cycle than Dragon Age 2 did. ME 3 might not end up being a great game, but it won't be the cash-in rush job that DA 2 was.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

34. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 20:04 Bhruic

That would still be EA thats doing it on steam. Valve doesn't set prices at all on steam, they also don't set regional prices or the differences thereof. EA sends the price list to valve to put on steam.

My understanding is that it happens with all games, not just EA ones. Which would make it either Valve responsible, or price collusion between all of the publishers, take your pick.

33. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 19:25 Flatline

Slashman wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 18:04:
Draugr wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 17:52:
wrlwnd wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 17:03:
such a joke compared to Skyrim.

I bought Skyrim at full price.

I'll buy ME3 at about the $10 to $15 price point.

Fail.
It's Apples and Oranges. The only thing these games really have in common is that they fall under the genre 'Action/RPG.' The games are trying to achieve two different goals (from a gameplay perspective) Though there are things that Skyrim outdoes ME on, and visa versa.

Of course, if you really need someone to point out the differences in these games, then you just haven't even tried. I would argue they are of similar value, for differing reasons.

I dunno. I don't think ME3 is worth $60. I'm not going to argue that it may be worth $50, but there aren't many games I'd pay $60 for. Skyrim is one of them based on the number of hours of game I get and the fact that its a fun game whose potential is multiplied 100-fold by mods alone.

It's worth it if you have 2 or 3 toons that have played through ME 1 & 2 and they make good on their promise that ME3 is going to have wildly different endgames based on your choices.

I'm not holding my breath, but it'd be pretty cool.

32. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 19:10 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 12:34:
This results in an eye-popping $869.91 price tag. Part of the reason this ends up so inflated is because some of it is bundled with Razor hardware, though this illustrates the problem the plan presents to a completionist.

That's not quite accurate. Most of the hardware stuff unlocks the same DLC, so buying every piece of hardware would be redundant.

Bhruic wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 18:22:
Regional pricing, another reason to give EA the finger...

Hasn't Steam been doing the exact same thing for years now?

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2012, 19:31.

31. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 19:02 Draugr

Slashman wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 18:04:
I dunno. I don't think ME3 is worth $60. I'm not going to argue that it may be worth $50, but there aren't many games I'd pay $60 for. Skyrim is one of them based on the number of hours of game I get and the fact that its a fun game whose potential is multiplied 100-fold by mods alone.

I don't think either of them are worth 60 bucks, to me they just appear to have similar value. Just as I did with Skyrim, I'll hold off until its a little cheaper. I bought Skyrim at 40 bucks, iIrc. I'll probably do the same with Mass Effect 3.

30. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 18:26 saluk

Was not happy with ME2. Not DA2 level bad but still pretty awful. I am still involved in the story and want to play this eventually but there is certainly no rush, and I definitely won't pay full price.  

29. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 18:22 Bhruic

Hasn't Steam been doing the exact same thing for years now?

28. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 18:14 Asmo

You could be Australian where the digi deluxe version is 99 AUD (106.462 USD) and the normal version is 79 AUD (84.9542 USD)

27. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 18:04 Slashman

Draugr wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 17:52:

Fail.
It's Apples and Oranges. The only thing these games really have in common is that they fall under the genre 'Action/RPG.' The games are trying to achieve two different goals (from a gameplay perspective) Though there are things that Skyrim outdoes ME on, and visa versa.

Of course, if you really need someone to point out the differences in these games, then you just haven't even tried. I would argue they are of similar value, for differing reasons.

26. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 17:52 Draugr

Fail.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo