Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Okay, the trend has now been established. In years when Blue sees a film nominated for best picture, it has a 67% chance of winning the Oscar. This is a trend covering three movies spanning six years, so I think it's pretty safe to consider this completely reliable.

Reliable Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Mardi Gras Mayhem.
Building Demolisher.
Links: Gabe Newell Dancing. You're freakin' me out, man! Thanks Hump.
Stories: Oscar winners list (2012) - Inside Movies - EW.com
Science: Nature Editorial: If you want reproducible science, the software needs to be open source.
Light-switched local anesthetic lets scientists turn pain nerves on and off.
Media: 2012 Oscars: Sacha Baron Cohen vs. Ryan Seacrest. Thanks reddit.
Dog Takes Stolen Baguette Back To Her Kennel.
Ridiculous Scarf Project.
Follow-up: NMA: Oscars 2012: Academy Awards wrap-up.
Star Wars: Clone Wars - Darth Maul Returns Trailer. Thanks nin.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2012, 16:29 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 10:24:
like the one where Palpatine comes back and Luke "goes undercover" as his apprentice

Wow, really???? I...just...

Why must my childhood be sodomized in such a way?

Really. And it was written back in 1991, before Lucas had started tinkering with the Original Trilogy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2012, 10:24 nin

like the one where Palpatine comes back and Luke "goes undercover" as his apprentice

Wow, really???? I...just...

Why must my childhood be sodomized in such a way?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2012, 09:49 Ecthelion

kanniballl wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 16:00:
I liked the Star Wars: Bloodlines threaad by Karen Traviss. She put together this real nice tapestry outlining the past of the Madalorian warriors (Boba Fett) during Legacy of the Force: Bloonlines.

Lucas threw away every single scrap when he did the cartoon... he didn't keep a single thing. Which annoyed her quite a bit since she was working with multiple authors to get it in there. You'd think they'd at least borrow an device or theme here and there. But no, some months after publication he said "Bzzzt... it's all wrong"

So she flipped out, and said something that ticked off a lot of viewers so they hate her now even though her books were some of the best in the Legacy of the Force series.
I don't think this is very surprising. I've always viewed books in any series, especially Star Wars, as being secondary to the films, series, and other content made by the original creator. Lucas has occasionally borrowed a couple of things from the EU over the years; e.g. Coruscant (which came from one of the Timothy Zahn novels I believe), but it has been a very small amount of borrowing.

I stopped reading Star Wars novels because a lot of them had plots that sounded completely ridiculous (and many of the comics are even worse... like the one where Palpatine comes back and Luke "goes undercover" as his apprentice). So I never had a chance to read the Bloodlines novels. But I think any author is deluding him or herself if they think somebody like Lucas (or Gene Roddenberry back in the day, or any other franchise creator for that matter) has read a single page of any of their books. With a franchise like Star Wars that continues to produce TV series, it should be obvious that any novels are likely to get "overruled" sometime down the road. I'd also think that any authors looking at getting into Star Wars would consider Lucas' tinkering with the movies as a warning sign if they intend their novels to remain in continuity with the franchise.

It's a shame that they didn't find a way to make the continuity of the novels fit into the Clone Wars series, but it really shouldn't be surprising. If they ever make a post-Voyager Star Trek series, I would be amazed if they work in much from Star Trek Online or the novels.

The Clone Wars team does care about continuity to a certain extent... they have used characters that were previously only in the EU, and I've seen ship designs that came from games and comics. But it's kind of erratic as far as what they use and what they ignore or discard.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 19:06 Sepharo

Yeah! And in Psycho, Sheriff Al Chambers, in his night gown, just calls up the suspect potentially responsible for the disappearance of two people and is like, "Hey you seen these folks? ... Nope? Okay then have a good night." Case closed.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 18:49 Ozmodan

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 15:37:
I'd call the plot for "No Country for Old Men" basic, not idiotic. I'll leave it that, I suspect others will take umbrage with your characterization. The Oscars have never meant much to me one way or the other. Although I have watched almost all the Best Film winners (post 1950), mostly just so I can say I did.
I will explain myself. The assassin in "No country for old men: kills approximately 22 people and at at the end no one is looking for him. That is why I call the plot absurd. I just found the entire movie ridiculous, all these people dying and you have one sheriff involved for law enforcement? The entire plot is preposterous! How can you have a best picture award for a movie with majorly broken plot?

As for "The Artist" I posted on facebook the question who liked it, current count is about 3 to 1 for those that did not like the movie with over 100 responses.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 17:06 nin

So she flipped out

I don't even know this woman, and I'd side with her over Lucas.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 16:00 kanniballl

nin wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 12:32:
I guess (in my mind) I filed Force Unleashed as non-canon, though that's more wishful thinking on my part as opposed to any source. And yeah, the idea that Vader had this hidden apprentice seemed laughable.

Emperor: Where ya been, Vader?
Vader Ohhhhh...<sssiih-hauh, siiih-hauh> just running errands.

As far as the other actors, I lay all blame squarely as Lucas' feet. This is also the point where I direct everyone to watch the fine documentary "The People vs George Lucas" as it perfectly sums up my hatred of the man.

That's how I saw it too, that it fell into non-cannon or at least some flavor of expanded-universe stuff.

When I heard that they had different levels of expanded-universe, my head kind of exploded. It's hard enough keeping track of 2 things, but keeping track of 4+ things that half-encompass eachother... that's annoying.

I liked the Star Wars: Bloodlines threaad by Karen Traviss. She put together this real nice tapestry outlining the past of the Madalorian warriors (Boba Fett) during Legacy of the Force: Bloonlines.

Lucas threw away every single scrap when he did the cartoon... he didn't keep a single thing. Which annoyed her quite a bit since she was working with multiple authors to get it in there. You'd think they'd at least borrow an device or theme here and there. But no, some months after publication he said "Bzzzt... it's all wrong"

So she flipped out, and said something that ticked off a lot of viewers so they hate her now even though her books were some of the best in the Legacy of the Force series.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 15:37 Mr. Tact

I'd call the plot for "No Country for Old Men" basic, not idiotic. I'll leave it that, I suspect others will take umbrage with your characterization. The Oscars have never meant much to me one way or the other. Although I have watched almost all the Best Film winners (post 1950), mostly just so I can say I did.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 14:17 Ozmodan

I did not even stay to watch the end of "The Artist", even my gf agreed with me about it. Typical Oscar ceremony, pick films that really don't entertain. I did not think the guy picked for best actor was that good either.

The academy seems to bypass the better movies for something different. When they picked "No country for old men" for best picture several years ago I LOL'd, the movie had the dumbest plot I have seen in ages. Horrible movie! How can you choose a movie with such an idiotic plot?

I did like Hugo, far better than the Artist.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 13:05 Cutter

See Hugo won all the visual stuff but nothing else which I expected.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 12:32 nin

Ecthelion wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 12:21:
nin wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 11:06:

I want to make it clear that was a link of disgust, and not of approval!!!!!

It can't be any worse than the terrible plot of Force Unleashed, which almost descended into fanfic territory. I never bothered with the second after that.

Also, I can never remember, are we supposed to hate Ewan McGregor, Sam Jackson, Liam Neeson, and Natalie Portman for having the gall to appear in the Star Wars prequels? Or are they given a pass for also being in movies that aren't cool to hate?

I guess (in my mind) I filed Force Unleashed as non-canon, though that's more wishful thinking on my part as opposed to any source. And yeah, the idea that Vader had this hidden apprentice seemed laughable.

Emperor: Where ya been, Vader?
Vader Ohhhhh...<sssiih-hauh, siiih-hauh> just running errands.

As far as the other actors, I lay all blame squarely as Lucas' feet. This is also the point where I direct everyone to watch the fine documentary "The People vs George Lucas" as it perfectly sums up my hatred of the man.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 12:21 Ecthelion

It can't be any worse than the terrible plot of Force Unleashed, which almost descended into fanfic territory. I never bothered with the second after that.

Also, I can never remember, are we supposed to hate Ewan McGregor, Sam Jackson, Liam Neeson, and Natalie Portman for having the gall to appear in the Star Wars prequels? Or are they given a pass for also being in movies that aren't cool to hate?

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 11:32 sauron

Hoop wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 11:21:
I approve of your disgust!

Also, I approve of your approval of nin's disapproval of Darth 'Redfaced and Horny' Maul.

However, I approve of Cartoon Samuel Jackson. And the jedi babe in the short skirt.

Kittens!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 11:28 sauron

Woody Allen won for best screenplay. He went through a boring patch around 10 years ago but lately he's been pretty good.

I liked Midnight in Paris - glad he got something for it.

Kittens!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 11:21 Hoop

I approve of your disgust!

Um .. Behind you...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 11:06 nin

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo