Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Okay, so tonight is the actual Oscar broadcast that I previously thought was going to be last night. I'm already exhausted from not watching last night, but I'm going to soldier on and not watch tonight anyway. For those who are more into this, here are loonyboi's 2012 Oscar picks.

Oscar Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Shopping Cart Hero 3.
Hot Rod Racing.
Links: This Year's Oscar Nominated Movie Images Recreated by a Baby. Thanks Neatorama.
Video Game Industry to Provide Skippable Games.
Challenge Accepted: 8 Inspiring Stories. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Man Walks All Day to Create Spectacular Snow Patterns. Thanks Jim.
Slovaks vote to name bridge Chuck Norris. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: Oscar Etiquette.
Sacha Baron Cohen responds to Oscars ban.
Life in Northern Canada - Feel the Inukness.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 09:36 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 12:54:
Christ, I know! And how many of these goddamned award shows do these actors have?
While I'm sure some actors are ego-manics, I suspect just as many would do without events like this. It's their job. And the reason there are so many is because the shows get good ratings. If consumers didn't watch, the shows would go away.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 06:55 xXBatmanXx

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 04:27:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 02:29:

I hope I am not the only one who thinks his stuff is garbage.

And no, I wasn't joking about Cruise. He is a tool. He could have played that off way better than he did. He comes off as an aggressive psycho.

An aggressive psycho. Wow. You have fucked up standards.

Are we talking about the same person!? I am talking about Tom Cruise.....maybe you are not....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 04:27 Agent.X7

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 02:29:

And no, I wasn't joking about Cruise. He is a tool. He could have played that off way better than he did. He comes off as an aggressive psycho.

An aggressive psycho. Wow. You have fucked up standards.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 02:29 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2012, 01:28 Agent.X7

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 20:39:
Prez wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 19:59:
I like movies, just not actors. An important distinction I make is that I like the actors' roles, not the actors. Most actors are far more likeable when pretending to be someone else than they are when they are being themselves, which to me is telling.
Yup - as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99lSu0lkN-I

Sef important pompous a-hoes - the lot of em.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. That seemed like a very reasonable response to being squirted in the face with water by some jackass who thinks he is funny. I would've punched the grin right off his face.

In fact, considering I think Tom Cruise is certifiable for following a religion tailor-made for wackos, this is probably one of the more reasonable things I have seen him do.

I don't watch reward shows simply because they seem like a huge attempt to appear more classy than you really are. All the members vote for - for the most part - the movie that they think they should vote for to make themselves look good. "OH yes, dahling, I voted for The Artist, yes. Oh dear my, SUCH a fabulous movie, just absolutely fabulous."

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 21:33 Sepharo

Lotta broad brushes in here.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2012, 21:38.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 20:39 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 19:59:
I like movies, just not actors. An important distinction I make is that I like the actors' roles, not the actors. Most actors are far more likeable when pretending to be someone else than they are when they are being themselves, which to me is telling.
Yup - as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99lSu0lkN-I

Sef important pompous a-hoes - the lot of em.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 19:59 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 19:35 PHJF

Unimportant to what/whom? Video games are entirely unimportant to my sister but they are entirely important to me.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 18:48 Cutter

No, it is most certainly not "all good". And just because we don't think these egomaniacs need to be rewarded anymore than they already are doesn't mean we don't like movies too. In the grand scheme of things they are entirely unimportant though.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 17:35 Sir Graves

Ha, people who don't like watching the Oscars always think they're gonna sway others to their way of thinking (you can tell), but I'm here to tell ya, it won't work. Those of us who enjoy the show (and anything to do with movies) and have grown up with it as a family viewing tradition, will continue to watch, debate and enjoy it. Sorry.

Different strokes, man. Some like it, some don't. It's all good.

9. Re: Slovaks vote to name bridge Chuck Norris Feb 26, 2012, 16:05 Kitkoan

UnderLord wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 15:35:
Why would you do that? Who would dare cross it?

Chuck Norris bridge is so strong....you'd think it could pull both shores together

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

8. Re: Slovaks vote to name bridge Chuck Norris Feb 26, 2012, 15:35 UnderLord

Why would you do that? Who would dare cross it?  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 14:57 Kastagir

Every time the oscars come around, I think of this episode from the West Wing:

Shibboleth (series 2)

President Bartlet: Didn't I do it right?
C.J.: You did it great, but I need you to come out here and pardon another one.
President Bartlet: Aren't I going to get a reputation for being soft on turkeys?
C.J.: Sir, can you come out here and just get this over with?
President Bartlet: No, I'm not gonna just get this... What the hell's going on?
C.J.: They sent me two turkeys. The more photo-friendly of the two gets a Presidential pardon and a full life at a children's zoo. The runner-up gets eaten.
President Bartlet: If the Oscars were like that, I'd watch.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 14:44 Sepharo

Just went through all the nominees on Wikipedia. I haven't seen a single film from any category this year. I could've probably saved myself checking that because I'm pretty sure I didn't see any new movies in 2011.

edit: ahah I take that back, early in the year I saw Water for Elephants with my mom, her choice.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 12:58 PHJF

Are actors any worse in this regard than athletes?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 12:54 Cutter

Prez wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 10:32:
I wouldn't watch the Oscars or any other awards circle jerk for money. God these masturbatory ego-stroking dog-and-pony shows turn my stomach.

Christ, I know! And how many of these goddamned award shows do these actors have? Like a dozen? You'd think they were curing a disease or something. It's pathetic.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 12:13 nin

You ran that on Friday when I sent it to you. But that still leaves you several hundred times behind the number of times I send you links you already ran.

Oh, and Hugo's out on Tues, if you didn't catch my post yesterday. I got it in the netflix queue myself.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 11:32 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 10:32:
I wouldn't watch the Oscars or any other awards circle jerk for money. God these masturbatory ego-stroking dog-and-pony shows turn my stomach.

Yeah, they're even heavily promoting it here in second-world Republic of Georgia like it is some amazing thing.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2012, 10:32 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo